Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (
-   New to the Hobby (
-   -   Overflow Plumbing (

magnon 01/14/2007 08:26 PM

Overflow Plumbing
I just got my 125 tank back after being drilled and bulkheads installed. I am also building overflows out of 8" PVC like Travis's thread. What I need now is recommendations for plumbing the overflow line from the bulkhead (1" with slip on on the outside) to the sump. I am particularily interested in where to locate the ball valves and unions for ease in disassembly and maintenance. Sketches would be great. I know there is a lot of info out there but I haven't been able to find what I need.

Thanks for the help,


AllenFord_SC 01/14/2007 08:45 PM

The plumbing from the overflow to the sump is easy. Make sure not to plumb the pipe vertically or horizontally as this will give you a flushing sound. Always leave some sort of angle in the piping.

If the return pump is external here is how you plumb it. Set the pump up against the sump and mark the height where the bulkhead should be. From the bulkhead run a short length of pipe and install a ball valve then a union then the pump. The ball valve will allow you to shut of flow to remove the pump for cleaning and servicing. Exiting the return pump should be a union followed by a ball valve for the same reason as before. So it should go bulkhead, ball valve, union, pump, union, ball valve. If this doesn't make sense I can make a diagram for you.

AllenFord_SC 01/14/2007 08:58 PM

[IMG] [/IMG]

AllenFord_SC 01/14/2007 09:00 PM

I got bored.

magnon 01/14/2007 09:16 PM

Wow! Thats a quick drawing, thanks! I understand what you mean and that all makes sense. Thanks a lot for the help.

On the drain side, the hole was drilled in the back of the tank about 6" above the tank bottom. I was thinking of coming out of the bulkhead at the main tank,with a slip-to-male threaded connector glued into the bulkhead, then attach a threaded elbow, then a ball valve then a union ( to allow the above to be taken apart if necessary). After that whatever glued bends I need to get to the sump. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks for the "not vertical or horizontal" piping info, I was not aware of that.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

AllenFord_SC 01/14/2007 09:26 PM

You could use spa flex tubing to cut down on the cost of all the elbows and it is really easy to bend wherever you want. I don't really think you need the ball valve or union on the drain side but you can if you want for future plumbing needs such as running a "tee" off the drain to a skimmer or a refugium. Unions get very expensive when you start putting them all over the place.

Spa flex is basically flexible PVC.

AllenFord_SC 01/14/2007 09:31 PM

[url=]Spa Flex[/URL]

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.