Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Feedback and Questions (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Do you mods. ever get tired of people beating up other people? (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985821)

awestruck 12/02/2006 05:52 PM

Do you mods. ever get tired of people beating up other people?

Hi--just wondering if you people grow weary of the smarta$$, rude comments some people make to others, especially when people are merely trying to learn something? Sometimes I'm afraid to say anything because someone else is going to tear me, or someone else, apart. Thank goodness most people are really nice...! Anyway, just wondering how you feel about this.

dc 12/02/2006 06:25 PM

Always, we can't possibly read every thread so we rely on everyone to report this kind of thing. It's appreciated for sure. I guess with this many children all together they just can't all play nice. :D Or just learn to ignore them. I'm guessing that's what a lot of people do.

Konadog 12/02/2006 10:05 PM

As Debi pointed out, when you see something in question, use the "Report this post to a moderator" button. If appropriate, they can send the kids to there room for a time out!

mhurley 12/03/2006 05:53 AM

awestruck,

It is thankless job, but we knew that when we volunteered for it :)
Believe it or not, 99 out of 100 people are really nice. The problem is that there's 130,000 members on here...so even 1% of not-so-friendly people gets to be a big number.

You should never, ever feel afraid to ask a question and if you ever get a response that is out of line, do what the others said and hit that Report button and we'll handle it.

One thing I've found over my years of doing this and some people that I (and others) think are incredibly rude, don't even know themselves that they are being rude. It's just [i]how they are[/i] and have always been and likely how they are in real life, so this is no different for them.

Enjoy this board to its' fullest, there is so much information here.

t-bone2 12/03/2006 07:03 AM

wow

dc 12/03/2006 08:58 AM

[QUOTE]It is thankless job, but we knew that when we volunteered for it[/QUOTE]

We did?? Someone who shall be nameless told me it was a lot of fun. :lol:

awestruck 12/03/2006 09:21 AM

Hi there! Thanx so much for your responses. I can only imagine what a daunting task this is for all of you to try to monitor everything. UGH :) I would like to quickly give you two examples of nice, really nice experiences I have had on RC. First, I have asked Dr. Holmes-Farley some really, well, I guess stupid questions because my knowledge of chemistry is almost nil. Never, not once, did he make me feel stupid. In fact, I laughed and told him that I was glad I couldn't see his eyes in case he was rolling them! :D But you know what, I don't think he does that because he knows that some people don't understand chemistry, even basic stuff. Another time I asked a basic question about how much of a difference removing glass tops makes regarding light penetration. People were AWESOME with their answers. The were not belittling whatsoever. And, I have pm'd people and they were really great about helping too. I am not trying to "brown nose" with you mods., but you do have a very difficult job and I completely appreciate all the help I receive on RC. In fact, I wish I had known about RC 2-1/2 years ago when I started my 58g. I surely would have done things very, very differently. Well anyway, I think all of you do a wonderful job and I know that your effort is appreciated by A LOT OF PEOPLE! And, two earlier responses are right on: I'll ignore those "poopy" rude people and report them if things are really getting hostile. As always, wishing all of you and your families peace. Awestruck.

clkwrk 12/03/2006 10:17 AM

I put those people and their small gang up groups on my ignore list........

mhurley 12/03/2006 10:31 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8669735#post8669735 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clkwrk [/i]
[B]I put those people and their small gang up groups on my ignore list........ [/B][/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

Chaotic Reefer4u 12/03/2006 03:31 PM

Awestruck, i also agree with the above post's. either put them on your 'ignore list' or hit 'report this post to a moderator' hope this help's and happy reefing...

BigSkyBart 12/03/2006 06:37 PM

We have an "ignore list"?
I've never seen or noticed such a feature.
Lucky for me I've never seen the need for it.

mhurley 12/03/2006 07:14 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8672717#post8672717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart [/i]
[B]We have an "ignore list"?
I've never seen or noticed such a feature.
Lucky for me I've never seen the need for it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Click on any person's Profile button...at the bottom is an option to add them to your buddy list or to your ignore list.

Ignore is pretty cool because they can't send you emails or PM's and any posts they make don't display to you. :)

BigSkyBart 12/03/2006 07:23 PM

Mike,
thanks for the info!