Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southern California Reefers (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   OT JOB! Aquarium Educator. (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1134662)

chalowolf 06/03/2007 10:49 PM

OT JOB! Aquarium Educator.

Do something you like!!

[url]http://personline.lacity.org/job_list/index.cfm?FuseAction=Showspec&CC=2493[/url]

Corriander 06/03/2007 11:38 PM

Cool job!

critmin 06/04/2007 12:39 AM

Cool job but the pay kind of sucks considering the amount of credentials required.

wishntoboutside 06/04/2007 12:46 AM

very cool job.

bebo you run a day care center and have a huge fish tank. that shoud qualify you enougth:D

i bet the person whom get this job will probably never even had a saltwater tank.

supernareg 06/04/2007 10:43 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10072170#post10072170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by critmin [/i]
[B]Cool job but the pay kind of sucks considering the amount of credentials required. [/B][/QUOTE]

amount of credentials required?

LOL!!! dude a BS / BA nowadays is like a HS diploma lol what do u mean amount of credentials

and besides.... at 22-24 (usual college grad) makin 50k isnt bad.

gcarroll 06/04/2007 10:56 AM

The problem is that most people with those credentials know less about aquariums than we do.

supernareg 06/04/2007 10:58 AM

and u know less about their area of study than they do.

u have lots of experience in aquariums, almost 10 years. i have 2 years, not as much as you.... so in that sense u know more than me... but lemmie give u a few chemistry / phsycs problems / equations or medical shtuff and u'll be stuck. thats my area and urs is probation.

point is that having a BS / BA is not considered "a lot of credentials"

gtrestoration 06/04/2007 11:02 AM

Well the Job title is really incorrect IMO.

[QUOTE]An Aquarium Educator develops and teaches educational programs about Southern California marine life to a diverse audience in laboratory classrooms and other field locations throughout greater Los Angeles; and does related work.[/QUOTE]

No mention of keeping livestock captive is made. So I think there are people far more qualified than someone that's kept a tank for a few years.

SteveU

gcarroll 06/04/2007 11:26 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10073781#post10073781 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by supernareg [/i]
[B]and u know less about their area of study than they do.

u have lots of experience in aquariums, almost 10 years. i have 2 years, not as much as you.... so in that sense u know more than me... but lemmie give u a few chemistry / phsycs problems / equations or medical shtuff and u'll be stuck. thats my area and urs is probation.

point is that having a BS / BA is not considered "a lot of credentials" [/B][/QUOTE] I never said that a BA or BS was alot of credentials. I know because I don't think my BA is enough. What I am saying is that the average advanced aquarist tends to know more about aquariums than the average marine scientist. Although I do agree with Steve that the Job title is misleading.

Don't be so sure that I would be stuck on the chemistry, although with the physics I would definitly be a little rusty. As for the medical "shtuff," I would just tell you to rub some dirt on it and walk it off. I just guess that's the athlete.

glaudds 06/04/2007 12:26 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10073928#post10073928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll [/i]
[B] As for the medical "shtuff," I would just tell you to rub some dirt on it and walk it off. I just guess that's the athlete. [/B][/QUOTE]

lol...a little spit wouldn't hurt either!

You could have all the credentials and experience in the world, but if you can't communicate or teach it, its all worthless for this position.

ezcompany 06/04/2007 12:59 PM

formal education is overrated imo

Bebo77 06/04/2007 02:03 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10072214#post10072214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wishntoboutside [/i]
[B]very cool job.

bebo you run a day care center and have a huge fish tank. that shoud qualify you enougth:D

i bet the person whom get this job will probably never even had a saltwater tank. [/B][/QUOTE]

lol yeah with my teaching degree, credentials and reefing experience i am a shoe in.. lol:D ;)

Corriander 06/04/2007 06:00 PM

The offered salary is directly comparable to that offered any public teacher in Los Angeles according to a variety of salary surveys (the current median being right about $48K).

For someone who pursued marine biology with a minor in education (or vice versa), it is a straight forward City of Los Angeles job.

omeg 06/04/2007 07:03 PM

not bad entry position considering what's asked. Should be one of those easy government work that once a curriculum is developed all you have to do is repeat yourself a million times to new people who mostly don't care.

Pepbill 06/04/2007 09:39 PM

Job is probably for the LAC Natural History Museum in their Ocean Mobile.

Krustylove 06/05/2007 12:31 PM

I'll let you guys know-I'm a shoe in for this. God knows there are not any teaching positions open for 3-5 years here in the OC (everyone is waiting for the babyboomers to start to retire-like that will ever happen)! Yes the pay sucks-but it is more than I was expecting to make as a teacher :( Keep your fingers crossed for me...

omeg 06/05/2007 03:51 PM

it's not bad considering you get a pension.. most people compare wages but overlook the more important things. :)

Krustylove 06/05/2007 07:21 PM

I'm excited about this prospect, it seams too good to be true when I consider my personal interests and skills. Also I know so many people who are working for 100 dollars a day as long term subs because the school districts don't want to pay people what they are worth and pre-service teachers only have 5 years to clear their credentials (by gaining a full-time employment contract) otherwise it's back to the drawing board...more tuition to fork over, more time lost...anyways, we'll see.