Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   want bigger (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006090)

bill37 12/30/2006 11:30 PM

want bigger

When does it stop?????? I had a 55 reef. Upgraded to a 90. The 90 has been set up for about 3 months. I want to go bigger. Will it ever stop???? I wish I had done the 120, but then would I have wanted a 180???

kau_cinta_ku 12/30/2006 11:31 PM

lol now your addicted. it will never stop until you can't afford it anymore

sir_dudeguy 12/30/2006 11:57 PM

this is one of the reasons we always tell newbies to get as big of a tank as possible to begin with. Not only easier to care for, but it saves you money in the long run cuz everyone always wants a bigger tank. You're always gonna run out of room for corals and stuff eventually lol. I've already run out of room for more corals in my 40 breeder and its only been set up since like august.

cilyjr 12/31/2006 12:03 AM

i love my 46 bowfront, it will make a great showpiece in the foyer behind my 300g when i can afford it !!!!!!

Copacetic 12/31/2006 12:06 AM

I don't think it will ever stop :) I went from a 12 to a 20 long to a 29 in the span of 8 months. I can't wait for my 660 gallon tank....one day I'll have it!!!

drummereef 12/31/2006 12:18 AM

Go check out the Large Tank Forums on here. Oh, wait, that might not be a good idea...... :D

xenon 12/31/2006 12:42 AM

It wont ever stop. Reefing is worse than drugs I swear. I spent 3400$ in the past month setting up my 1st SW tank and its only 60gallons!

This is about as far as I would go.
[IMG]http://www.dansouliere.com/pictures/crazy1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.dansouliere.com/pictures/crazy2.jpg[/IMG]

sir_dudeguy 12/31/2006 01:41 AM

what couldnt he keep in that tank? (short of shamoo that is :) )

drummereef 12/31/2006 01:45 AM

Hey, how did you get a pic of my tank?

:lol:

REMF 12/31/2006 02:02 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8860403#post8860403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef [/i]
[B]Hey, how did you get a pic of my tank?[/B][/QUOTE]

drummereef, you need more LR :lol2:

reefshadow 12/31/2006 02:49 AM

I always thought that tank was a gross mismanagement of resources. I imagine it full of live rock, coral and grazing type reef fish. I guess I wouldn't turn it down though if they wanted to swap, lol.

Yes, this hobby is addicting. I went from a 29 to a 35 hex to a 55 to a 75, then 2 125's, then finally to my 240. I probably could have bought upwards of a 500 if I had all the money I spent on the smaller tanks.

No plans to upgrade size now, my husband would kill me. [Unless I find that killer deal, shhhhhhh]

bill37 12/31/2006 09:27 AM

Reefshawdow, sounds like my situation. lol I went from my 55 to a 90 because it had the same footprint. My wife would be a little perturbed if I went bigger , especially if I did it before she gets her china hutch!!! What is it with women and their china hutches. We never even use the damn china!!!

Shagsbeard 12/31/2006 11:10 AM

Aside from being huge, I have a lot against that tank. Almost zero on the diversity scale. Lighting is poor. I wouldn't spend 5 minutes looking at it in a public aquarium. I'd much rather see it set up as a reef. I'd use DYI rocks to get that perfect look, and seed it with a variety of live rocks that I'd first "test out" in a smaller aquarium to make dang sure that there wasn't anything on them I didn't want.

On subject... I have a 75gal and am completely comfortable with the size. If anything, my next tank would be smaller, but better designed.

agreeive?fish 12/31/2006 12:12 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8861134#post8861134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bill37 [/i]
[B]Reefshawdow, sounds like my situation. lol I went from my 55 to a 90 because it had the same footprint. My wife would be a little perturbed if I went bigger , especially if I did it before she gets her china hutch!!! What is it with women and their china hutches. We never even use the damn china!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

My wife has an antiqe chinna hutch that belonged to my great great(yes greatx2) grandmother and it was extravagant for it day..no china in it whatsoever unless you count porcilen and china dolls as china.....every time i buy a new tank i have to buy her a new doll cabinet. every time i buy tank equipment i have to buy her a neww collectors doll and it is getting hard to find one she dosent have that is not going to cost me next years wages to buy

staticx 12/31/2006 12:16 PM

I love it when people put down large tanks as if they can even afford one. It never stops i just got my first tank a 100 gal only had it two months and I am thinking 250 or so plus a 180 sump. I think you have to be overly obsesive in this hobby

Lotus99 12/31/2006 01:02 PM

Our newbie tank went from a 40g to a 60g to a 120g before we even set it up :p

We got a 40g acrylic tank that was going to be our first SW, but then got a deal on a nice 120g with stand and equipment, so that's what we went for.

I know the lighting and chiller for it in a few months are going to be major expenses.

piscivorous 12/31/2006 01:06 PM

Yeah...go with as large as you can affford...unfortunately, I've been struggling for the last two and half years to simply afford the 55 gallon aquarium that was given to me. I kind of wish it was a 75 or a 90, but it will be a good start for now. One of the best two tanks I've ever seen was actually a beautifully set up 75...and it didn't even have a sump on it...the guy was dripping kalk and had a fluval with a hangonback protein skimmer...I was amazed at the quality of the tank with what he was running. Of course the other most beautiful tank I've seen was a 225. I see myself eventually with a 75 or 90 with nice corals and inverts, and then eventually a 225 with a Lionfish I've wanted since I was about 5 years old as the centerpiece and a few other larger fish that I've really grown to like but can't fit in my present 55 (snowflake moray, Majestic Angel, Sailfin Tang etc. etc.). Someday.....probably in the next house we own....when I can set that 225 into a wall and have the "tank room" in behind it...... ;)

Michelle L 12/31/2006 03:21 PM

It doesn't stop. At least it hasn't for me.

Years ago, when I was about 18, I started with a 29 gallon. Ever since I am always dreaming about the next "big one" and how I will set it up. My 220 has only been up for 6 months and I my husband & I are already discussing the next tank, which I don't plan on being under 500 gallons. Of course, that will be a few years down the road.

And you guys can stick your china hutches. I am the kind of woman who thinks of bigger tanks and a dream garage for my car. ;) Don't lump all of us in the same category...there are a lot of us girls out there who hate Americal Idol and can't understand the attraction of Pottery Barn. :rolleyes:

MimicTang 12/31/2006 04:07 PM

You can get a 220 for $999 tank,stand, cover in manchester CT