Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (
-   Chemical Valley Reef Club (
-   -   clown stuck in overflow! (

igotsalt 12/28/2007 04:41 PM

clown stuck in overflow!
I have a young pair of clowns in a 125g. They have been in there probably 5 months along with a heirem of maldive anthias. A couple days ago I added more rock and relandscaped the tank. The stress must have flipped the fish out. It was in my overflow for a day and half. I couldn't get it with a net or anything else I tried.

I ended up siphoning her out! I am still laughing at myself. I had 6" of 1"ID vinyl tubing. I pushed 3/4"ID vinyl tubing into the 1". I worked the 1" into bottom of overflow and distracted her with net in top of water to chase her down. I sucked her up and she got stuck in tubing where the 3/4" started! I quickly pulled out the tubing and dropped it to the floor. She came out pretty quickly and laid there lifeless. Must have stunned her since she doesn't have a mark on her and is swimming normally.

I have seen plactic netting covering overflows. What is it and where do I get it?

Altpers0na 12/28/2007 04:49 PM

got a pic of the netting your looking for?

LtPiper 12/28/2007 05:28 PM

If it's the kind of netting that I have it is similar to the plastic chicken wire they sell at Lowes and Home Depot. . I've used that befor in my fresh water tanks to corral pregnant mollies and should work fine for your over flows. I think I still have some laying around from the roll I bought.

radone 12/28/2007 05:57 PM

I think what your wanting is called gutter guard, HD or Lowe's carries it as well as probably any local building supply

LtPiper 12/28/2007 06:44 PM

It's sold under that too but it's only a few inches wide where as the plastic chicken wire is in big rolls.

igotsalt 12/29/2007 10:46 PM

that's exactly what I am wanting! It looks like plastic coated chicken wire only holes are a little smaller and it's a fairly ridiged. I'll try Lowe's tomorrow.

thanks for the help!

joyski58 01/01/2008 09:14 PM

How about the net that's used in the body scrubbies. It's really a tube of net if you take it apart. I use it to go around my overflow and keep the watchman goby from taking "the trip" into the refuge again.

mcox33 01/01/2008 10:43 PM

If anyone local needs the black plastic gutter guard I have way more than I need. Let me know and I can drop some off at Jo-Mars for you.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.