Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers

Old 06/03/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

OT JOB! Aquarium Educator.

Do something you like!!

http://personline.lacity.org/job_lis...owspec&CC=2493
Old 06/03/2007, 11:38 PM
Mooooooo!!!!

Cool job!
Old 06/04/2007, 12:39 AM
Moved On

Cool job but the pay kind of sucks considering the amount of credentials required.
Old 06/04/2007, 12:46 AM
Reef slave

very cool job.

bebo you run a day care center and have a huge fish tank. that shoud qualify you enougth

i bet the person whom get this job will probably never even had a saltwater tank.
Old 06/04/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to supernareg
Quote:
Originally posted by critmin
Cool job but the pay kind of sucks considering the amount of credentials required.
amount of credentials required?

LOL!!! dude a BS / BA nowadays is like a HS diploma lol what do u mean amount of credentials

and besides.... at 22-24 (usual college grad) makin 50k isnt bad.
Old 06/04/2007, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

The problem is that most people with those credentials know less about aquariums than we do.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 06/04/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to supernareg
and u know less about their area of study than they do.

u have lots of experience in aquariums, almost 10 years. i have 2 years, not as much as you.... so in that sense u know more than me... but lemmie give u a few chemistry / phsycs problems / equations or medical shtuff and u'll be stuck. thats my area and urs is probation.

point is that having a BS / BA is not considered "a lot of credentials"
Old 06/04/2007, 11:02 AM
Rubberman

Well the Job title is really incorrect IMO.

Quote:
An Aquarium Educator develops and teaches educational programs about Southern California marine life to a diverse audience in laboratory classrooms and other field locations throughout greater Los Angeles; and does related work.
No mention of keeping livestock captive is made. So I think there are people far more qualified than someone that's kept a tank for a few years.

SteveU
Old 06/04/2007, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by supernareg
and u know less about their area of study than they do.

u have lots of experience in aquariums, almost 10 years. i have 2 years, not as much as you.... so in that sense u know more than me... but lemmie give u a few chemistry / phsycs problems / equations or medical shtuff and u'll be stuck. thats my area and urs is probation.

point is that having a BS / BA is not considered "a lot of credentials"
I never said that a BA or BS was alot of credentials. I know because I don't think my BA is enough. What I am saying is that the average advanced aquarist tends to know more about aquariums than the average marine scientist. Although I do agree with Steve that the Job title is misleading.

Don't be so sure that I would be stuck on the chemistry, although with the physics I would definitly be a little rusty. As for the medical "shtuff," I would just tell you to rub some dirt on it and walk it off. I just guess that's the athlete.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Last edited by gcarroll; 06/04/2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06/04/2007, 12:26 PM
Wet-fingered Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarroll
As for the medical "shtuff," I would just tell you to rub some dirt on it and walk it off. I just guess that's the athlete.
lol...a little spit wouldn't hurt either!

You could have all the credentials and experience in the world, but if you can't communicate or teach it, its all worthless for this position.
Old 06/04/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ezcompany
formal education is overrated imo
Old 06/04/2007, 02:03 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Quote:
Originally posted by wishntoboutside
very cool job.

bebo you run a day care center and have a huge fish tank. that shoud qualify you enougth

i bet the person whom get this job will probably never even had a saltwater tank.
lol yeah with my teaching degree, credentials and reefing experience i am a shoe in.. lol

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 06/04/2007, 06:00 PM
Mooooooo!!!!

The offered salary is directly comparable to that offered any public teacher in Los Angeles according to a variety of salary surveys (the current median being right about $48K).

For someone who pursued marine biology with a minor in education (or vice versa), it is a straight forward City of Los Angeles job.
Old 06/04/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

not bad entry position considering what's asked. Should be one of those easy government work that once a curriculum is developed all you have to do is repeat yourself a million times to new people who mostly don't care.
Old 06/04/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Job is probably for the LAC Natural History Museum in their Ocean Mobile.
Old 06/05/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

I'll let you guys know-I'm a shoe in for this. God knows there are not any teaching positions open for 3-5 years here in the OC (everyone is waiting for the babyboomers to start to retire-like that will ever happen)! Yes the pay sucks-but it is more than I was expecting to make as a teacher Keep your fingers crossed for me...
Old 06/05/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

it's not bad considering you get a pension.. most people compare wages but overlook the more important things.
Old 06/05/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm excited about this prospect, it seams too good to be true when I consider my personal interests and skills. Also I know so many people who are working for 100 dollars a day as long term subs because the school districts don't want to pay people what they are worth and pre-service teachers only have 5 years to clear their credentials (by gaining a full-time employment contract) otherwise it's back to the drawing board...more tuition to fork over, more time lost...anyways, we'll see.