Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01/05/2008, 06:25 PM
Eternally Discombobulated

Aloha! How about some Hawaii pics?

Aloha Loungers! And Mahalo for your patience! I finally got some time to go through *some* of our photos and put together a good grouping for you all to enjoy. We still have probably another 500 shots to go through but here are some snap-shots that we took with our small pocket cameras.

There are a lot of pics and I thought I'd narrate a bit so this'll take a few posts to put together.

So how's about a Hawaii tour? We begin on the island of Oahu.

Welcome to Waikiki! This was the view from our balcony on the 9th floor of the Wyndham Waikiki located on Lewers Street. We were about 1 block from the beach (opposite direction from the way the photo is facing). Waikiki is a big city all things considered...lots of HIGH end retail and restaurants. While Hawaii is expensive in general, I think that Waikiki is possibly one of the most expensive cities.

This is part of Lewers Street, right along the front of the resort. Lots of shops and restaurants. Everything from a italian, japanese, and bar/grill with a hawaiian foods to gelato, bakeries, coffee....unique gift/clothing shops, sandals/beachwear, to even a Wyland art gallery.

This was a cool mall right around the corner from where we were staying. Kind of neat for me...3 or 4 floors all "open" except for the actual stores. Lots of stores to wander through and even....Cheryl, you might want to sit down for this....even a Salvatore Ferragamo shoe store. Now, I have no idea what that means but Mrs VR simply stood at the window and drooled for a while over the shoes. We eventually had to drag her away.

These finely dressed lads are part of an elite rifle drill team. They performed the flag lowering ceremony at the end of the day at a very unique and cool shopping area in Waikiki. I think it was called the King's Village Shopping Center or something like that. These guys were incredible. I have a 5 minute video somewhere of their performance.

Now a short break as we assemble the next part of our tour......

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green