Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 10/19/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

LA Flame Wrasse Pair

So...who got the amazing pair of flame wrasses from live aquaria? I was just curious how much they went for...
Old 10/19/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

lol...I just got the dd update e-mail from LA and jordani isn't listed on there...hmmm...so the "fish" section picture isn't always part of what went up that day...tryin' to suck me in
Old 10/19/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

sometimes the site updates before the email is sent. i was curious what they sold for too. someone got them...
Old 10/20/2007, 01:31 AM
Registered Member

man i was mad i missed it! i've been waiting for a pair!
Old 10/20/2007, 07:35 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

phishybusinnes has several right now too...the wholesalers must have gotten a good shipment.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/20/2007, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-SW-FISH-M-F...QQcmdZViewItem

I've gotten quite a few fish from this guy and they have all been good quality.
Old 10/20/2007, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

wheres the guy on ebay located? Its people like him that are ruining the industry when he only charges 10% over cost. such a shame.
flame wrasse price is going up finally!

Last edited by zemuron114; 10/20/2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10/21/2007, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
wheres the guy on ebay located? Its people like him that are ruining the industry when he only charges 10% over cost. such a shame.
flame wrasse price is going up finally!
I dont follow. How is this guy ruining the industry? BTW, his ebay site says he's in Houston.
Old 10/21/2007, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

he selling a lot of his fish for way under usual retail price. Some of his auctions ended with flame angels at 20$, lemonpeel hybrid for 30$. etc. Some of his stuff is OK priced but a lot is much lower.
Old 10/21/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

My LFS just sold a pair of flames for 220, so maybe they just aren't going up in price everywhere. Don't know why that would be... They also have several lineatus fairies for 100 right now and an 8" male crosshatch for 350, though. Their prices for everything else is in line with all other prices I've seen. Weird, but I know they at least double the wholesale value for retail. Definitely not just a 10% mark up from wholesale value.
Old 10/21/2007, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
he selling a lot of his fish for way under usual retail price. Some of his auctions ended with flame angels at 20$, lemonpeel hybrid for 30$. etc. Some of his stuff is OK priced but a lot is much lower.
I still dont follow how this is ruining the industry. Every store has different prices for livestock. The consumer buys where he wants. I have bought some items from fellow reefers in my local club and here on RC for much cheaper than retail. Are we ruining the industry too?
Old 10/21/2007, 04:53 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeAngels
http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-SW-FISH-M-F...QQcmdZViewItem

I've gotten quite a few fish from this guy and they have all been good quality.
Wow, videos are nice! Perhaps the next step in WYSIWYG?

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/21/2007, 07:43 PM
Got Nog?

Send a message via Yahoo to DeltecRules
I bought a supermale flame wrasse from phishy from earlier this week and he is a beauty!!! I plan on ordering a female early this week for my big bloke.
Old 10/21/2007, 08:09 PM
Pingy Pingy!

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltecRules
I bought a supermale flame wrasse from phishy from earlier this week and he is a beauty!!! I plan on ordering a female early this week for my big bloke.
Don't shoot me because I'm local He still has a number of males/females of the flames last I checked.

Two of mine from him.

Old 10/22/2007, 02:55 AM
Premium Member

Online or ebay guys have very low overhead and they drive costs of fish down. LFS can't sell them for what they need to sell them for because people want better deals because "the guy on ebay is selling the flame angel for 20, why dont you?"

Exchanging fish here and there with local hobbiest doesn't do anything to the industry - corals it helps a lot actually. But for a retail aspect of things if you are running it out of your house with virtually no overhead you can undercut everyone and drive the fish prices down if word gets out. Sites such as phishy/liveaquaria, reefhotspot all have store fronts and maintain there prices at normal or close to normal retail prices. selling flames for 20$ is a blatant attempt to undercut everyone.
Old 10/22/2007, 05:12 AM
Registered Member

I never see anyone sell the flames wrasses for $20? I'm sure you pay more than $20 at the wholesale, isn't it? All I see is the guy have a starting price for the pair of flame wrasses for $200+. And I'm sure that won't be the final price. If you want you can just bit on the fish so the price will go up to whatever you said that is the retail price.
Form what I know, rich people never pay retail price they all way get the discount, only middle class or poor people who pay retail price. But when middle class people try to do the same, now you said it not fare......huh
Also from what I know if you don't have store front you can not get the wholesale licent so I think that guy who sell on ebay might have store front too. Or he might have a very good connection with the wholesale for him to get the licent, I don't think a lot of people can do that, so I don't think one or two people would hurt your business.
Old 10/22/2007, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Online or ebay guys have very low overhead and they drive costs of fish down. LFS can't sell them for what they need to sell them for because people want better deals because "the guy on ebay is selling the flame angel for 20, why dont you?"

Exchanging fish here and there with local hobbiest doesn't do anything to the industry - corals it helps a lot actually. But for a retail aspect of things if you are running it out of your house with virtually no overhead you can undercut everyone and drive the fish prices down if word gets out. Sites such as phishy/liveaquaria, reefhotspot all have store fronts and maintain there prices at normal or close to normal retail prices. selling flames for 20$ is a blatant attempt to undercut everyone.
Well, I must respectfully and completely disagree. This "online vs. LFS" debate has been going on for quite some time, but it all boils down to the service people want. If you want to go and talk to someone about your tank, shop around, get advice, etc- you go to a LFS. You can't get this from ebay. However, some people prefer online sources because they are cheaper (which is debateable with the cost of shipping nowadays). Many LFS even have an online contingency (see some of our sponsors).
This persons ebay site has like a dozen fish on it now, from what I saw. This is what yuo call "driving down the prices". As I mentioned, to me, this is no different that the "livestock for sale" forum here on RC.

I could understand how businesses such as this might be problems for people in your line of business, as it is competition. But, I do not think it is accurate to say it is ruining the indistry. Perhaps it is just ruining *your* profit margin.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Like it or not the internet is going to take over more and more. Do I support my LFS? Of course!! Every chance I get. But sometimes they don't have or can't get everything and if I see something neat/rare/unusual or something I have been looking for on the internet I will buy it.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

A $ 20.00 Flame angel that cost $ 30.00 to ship costs the same as a fish at a lfs.
Old 10/22/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

i was reffering to flame angels not flame wrasse (thankfully).
His shipping is 15$ overnight. the 20$ flame angel is 35 shipped. Below any LFS. As i said, respectable online stores (reefhotspot, liveaquaria, phishy business) do the same type of overhead conversion as LFS because they have a LFS as well. They dont have 800 gallons in their basement with 100$ a month overhead. I am not trying to bring up a debate on the LFS vs Online. I actually think online is a good source to get fish most LFS can't get or aren't willing to try to get - which leads back to customer service which im a huge fan of and wholeheartedly think it will single handedly make or break a business. the only thing im saying is 20$ for a flame angel is an attempt to undercut everyone. there is no way he is making more then 5$ on that fish. That is all i am saying.

sorry to get this thread off track.

any more pics of flame wrasse? they are my favorite reef fish!
Old 10/22/2007, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

For you zem:

Old 10/22/2007, 06:44 PM
Got Nog?

Send a message via Yahoo to DeltecRules
I have my female comming in from phishybuisness tommorrow I can hardly wait!! I bet my male could hardly wait!!
Old 10/23/2007, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

nice pic! You dont see many supermale flames (the true supermales) Most of the ones i see from Kona are 4-5", huge, and have a nice purple outline on the tail and in the middle of the tail there is a yellow patch. I've only noticed it from the Kona flames that come in. Very strange
Old 10/23/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

you guys think a flames will get along with my rhomboid and tricolor wrasse in my 75 gallon?
Old 10/29/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to tony varrell
All you flame wrasse people. Can someone tell me why some of them get a black spot on the top of their heard. I was told it was sunburn from the MH bulbs. Anybody heard of that??