Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 07/25/2007, 05:40 AM
Registered Member

Risks of covers or running topless

Well, Iíve read all the pros and cons to going topless or covered. I have an AP 24 with the 150 W SunPod, and decided to go with the glass top. This was an upgrade from the standard, hooded version, so I figured the heat canít be worse than with the top on. I t tuned out to run about 1~2 F cooler, so I was pleased. I always dreaded having a fish jump, and this seemed to be the perfect solution.

No one warned me about the following risk, which only happened 2 hours ago. I have a disappearing wrasse, which after a few days of not coming up with a good name, we (she) officially chose Mr. Wrasse (she got it before me, and I did give her permission n the final name, so no, I couldnít change it, but she agreed to not discuss his by name with other kids. I know fat chance).
Well, per my typical insomnia. I was reading on my couch. I got up and moved passed the tank. For whatever reason, he spooked and tried to jump, striking the glass twice before disappearing. I did an immediate search, but figured he was back in his rock (I also have a pygmy cherub and a neon goby, and they actually all get along well). I let it be for about 15 minutes, but while he usually comes right to the glass when I go by, he wasnít there.

A more complete search (moving rocks at 4 AM, I found him lying on his side with a split on the top of his head. He wasnít moving well, and I actually was able to pick him up by net with one try, which I felt was a bad sign. Examining him in a separate container with tank water, I could see his head was pretty much split, with some red leakage from the laceration. He was moving sluggishly, if at all, and certainly not directed movement. I personally felt I had no choice but to euthanize him.
So, will I still keep a cover? Most likely I will, as I hate to risk a jumper while at work. But, in this case, if he had jumped, heíd still be with me, as he would have jumped out where I could have done a scoop and dump. I do think Iíll look into something more along the lines of egg crate, though, as a high velocity jumper doesnít do well against a glass surface.

RIP, Mister Wrasse

Old 07/25/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

wow, never heard of that happening. I have an open tank and have had one of my fire fish jump but thats it so far. I love the open tank look and like that I can look down into the water from the top. My hood is suspended by rope so I can raise and lower it at will.
Old 07/25/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I had too many fish jump out of my open tank FOWLR, so it has a glass top too now. I love how much less evaporation there is too. I have never seen a fish hit its head on the top though.
Old 07/25/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

I run topless. But I do have a canopy that is 16" high to prevent jumping. It basically extends to the ceiling. Sorry about Mr. Wrasse.
Old 07/25/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

lol my tank would boil with a closed top. canopies are the best of both worlds!
Old 07/25/2007, 11:08 AM
Apply within.

Send a message via AIM to fsn77 Send a message via Yahoo to fsn77
We had a firefish crack its skull on a glass top... he hit it and must have caused some serious damage. He ended up dieing within a few hours of the incident. It was a sad day.
Old 07/25/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks all. I have to agree, I've never read of this before or even a thread. FSN, you're this only one to confirm this rare even believe it. Actually, when he hit the cover full force, he actually the top jump just a bit. I've had both a dog and a cat learn what glass feels when detouring their way up couch because it looked all clear to them. Both caught on after the first round, and they never made that mistake again both .

FSN, sorry about your loss, especially when it happened in a way you just never imagined. Thanks to all of you for tips for keeping fish I the tank, and not on the floor all shriveled up ( actually I would realize it during morning headcount and concluded it must have jumped, but was care of by my dry CUC, my dog.
Next, I have to tell my daughter when she comes back from camp. I donít think she will buy a story about not wearing a seatbelt so you donít hit the windshield.

Again, thanks for your understanding.