Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/09/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Chopstix
Question Decisions - Decisions {Lighting}

I currently have a 70g {48x18x18} setup. I started this tank a couple of months ago. I had a 55g setup for about 5 years up until the great flood of Mother's Day '07. When that tank broke I mixed up some water and put all of my rock into the laundry tub with a light, heater and a couple power heads. There it sat for the next 6 months or so. Back in business now!!

At any rate, on to my question:
I currently have the 48" Current-USA Orbit fixture. 4x65 PC. I just replaced the bulbs in it and went with their 'SmartPaq" bulbs. Each is a 10k & blue. I am planning on buying a new fixture and am not sure which way to go. I have it narrowed down to 2 styles.

1.) 2x 175w HQI + 2x Actinic tubes

2.) A straight T-5 fixture.

I'm not planning to build a canopy. I like the openess and easy access afforded by a fixture over the tank plus my heat is constant and manageable. So retro-kits probably aren't an option for me.

The tank obviously is not real deep. I am probably planning to stay with LPS for the most part. Just picked up a nice 6 headed piece of frogspawn last night. He has been living under MH lighting so I hope he responds to the lighting I have currently.

I am not so sure I really even need MH? I was looking at that Current Nova Extreme Pro T-5 fixture. 6 tubes; 3 each 10k & actinic. I could grab that for a couple hundred less than an HQI based one. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem spending the extra $$ if you think in the long run that would be the better way to go. I can get away with going into the 650 - 700 dollar range without getting into too much trouble.

So my question to you all would be:
Go with the T-5's or bite the bullet and go MH. And if I go MH, should it be the HQI or should I look more along the lines of something with single ended bulbs?

I appreciate everyone's input on this before I spend the money and end up wishing I would've gotten 'X' instead.

Steve

Last edited by Chopstix; 12/09/2007 at 07:29 AM.