Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/15/2007, 05:26 AM
Registered Member

My setup (pics) and some questions

this is my setup, its 26 gallon, its been running for a month and a half, i have a clown, 2 damsels, 2 turbo snails, a dusk blennie, and a convict blennie.

my questions are, i have just taken the 2 foam filter parts off the bottom of my powerheads to increase flow and because i read they can cause spikes in the nitrates or something, should i not have either on there or just have 1 on there to help filter the crap out, if i dont have them on there theres no filtration in there.

next question, what are some fairly hardy corals for me to get as my 1st corals

heres pics:

Old 01/15/2007, 05:56 AM
Who's your daddy

any direction you want to go in as far as type of corals?
Old 01/15/2007, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

umm soft stuff that moves i spose, like torch corals and hammer coral, can u mix some of the hard colourful corals in to?
Old 01/15/2007, 07:29 AM
Moved In

I would have at least some plastic casing on. My maxijets come with a plastic cover. If you clean the foam often it would be fine. I have foam covers in my anemone tank and I just rinse them out weekly.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 01/15/2007, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

ok, so what coral should i buy 1st and whats the easiest way to feed them
Old 01/15/2007, 08:24 AM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Well your hammer and torch corals that you spoke of are actually hard corals. They are LPS (Large Polyp Stony) the 'soft' part that you are looking at are actually the Polyps. I would suggest starting with some soft corals like a toadstool, mushrooms, xenia, chili coral, leathers.... etc. There are many corals in this 'soft' family that are very hardy and less expensive than your hard corals. These corals are also fairly hardy and will break you in to having corals present in the tank.

Main thing! Be sure to research every coral you buy or are thinking about buying. Each one has specific needs and lighting/flow/food requirements. Several times while inside a fish store while considering a coral purchase I have asked to use their internet to find out a little more about the coral.

I love your rockwork by the way, very natural looking!
Old 01/15/2007, 08:34 AM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

On the filter issue. Yes leave the foam off. But... you will need to get some sort of strainer or screen to keep little fishies from taking the Powerhead Challenge. Basically you just want something to keep snails, hermits and fish from entering the powerhead intake and being chopped up or breaking your impellers.