Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 10/05/2007, 11:52 AM
Lenny & Squiggy

Versatile HOB filter?

My son and I are beginning the build of a 20H nano for his room. We're almost ready to go, I just need to ID the right filter.

I'd like something along the lines of an Aqua-clear, but I need it to have the capacity to hold some LR rubble, a bag of Purigen, a bag of Phos-ban, and the occasional bag of carbon.

From what I've seen, most current filters in this category are designed to take the manufacturer's custom filter cartridges. I can see the business sense in it, but I'm not interested in playing the razor/razor-blade game with them. Besides, they don't have Purigen/Phosban cartridges. The worst part is that these filters don't have much capacity.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I suppose I could go to a canister filter but I'm reluctant because they're a pain to clean regularly. If all else fails, I could just build a HOB refugium with a few extra compartments...
Old 10/05/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I use filter bags that are small enough to fit inside the compartments. I fill them with carbon and seachem seagel. I would suggest to do that. I have a emperor 400 on a 26bow that has one side as a fuge with lr rubble and macro and the other side has a bag each of the above media. HTH
Old 10/05/2007, 02:25 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

2OceanLovers, did you remove the bio-wheel?
Old 10/05/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Yes I did. Sorry for not saying that.
Old 10/05/2007, 07:03 PM
clams are your friends.

I use a Hagen HOB on my 10 gallon. Not sure of the model, but I think it's the one made for tanks 50-70 gallons or something like that. I took all the cartridges out of it, put one small bag of carbon near the pump "output" and put sand and live rock where the cartriges would go. Works great. All I need is a clip on light and some chaeto and it'll be a full blown refugium.
Old 10/05/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

You can use non hagen media in the aqua clear. I run a Aquaclear 300 (70 now?) on my 10g freshwater snail tank(food for FW puffers) and use a media bag full of crushed coral in it along with the stock sponges. But even the sponges, carbon, etc can all be non Hagen if you want. I think the aquaclears on the most versatile HOB. A HOT Magnum can be useful too, but is used mostly for FW planted tanks as a cheap diatom filter + mechanical when not polishing the water and can run carbon/purigen/etc in it.

Go with the aquaclear.