Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 12/31/2006, 03:06 AM
FOWLR

Send a message via ICQ to xenon
Building custom skimmer boxes for overflows

I have some black acrylic that I would like to use to build some custom skimmer boxes for my overflows on my 60g drilled tank.

I have a jig pre-made already to cut the teeth for the surface skimming. I also have a heat gun that I would like to use to bend 1 piece to make a 3 sided box. Then I can cut a piece for the bottom and glut it together.

Has anybody done something like this before? Any tips, tricks etc.. would be greatly apreciated.
Old 12/31/2006, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

it would have been alot cheeper if you would have just got one online

like from aquatraders there overflow boxes are great .. never had a problem with mine

check my red house
Old 12/31/2006, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

i highly doubt cheaper but maybe easier.

i've found that it is better to use individual pieces of acrylic rather than bending. when you bend the acrylic the material deforms around the radius making it harder to weld to the bottom piece. for an internal part this may not be a problem.

some links:

melev's reef ( lots of ideas and descriptions on how to, look at the link for a 'modified g', it has lots of pics on the 'pin method')

this is a wicked thread here on RC that answers a lot of questions. ( it's a looooooong one )

HTH
Old 12/31/2006, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Hang-on Continuous Siphon Overflow 1400 gph w/ Bulkhead

Reg. Price $59.90

Website Special $34.90

check my red house
Old 12/31/2006, 02:56 PM
FOWLR

Send a message via ICQ to xenon
I think you guys are lost.

I dont want to build a hang-on the back overflow box.

I want to build a box that surrounds my durso pipe that skims the top of the water and falls into the drain.
Old 12/31/2006, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xenon
I think you guys are lost.
nope i'm with you.

website special $34.90, wow great now add shipping. if he has the acrylic and the tools ( which he does ) all he need is solvent $3 - $5 that's it..

when you bend acrylic it has a tenancy to deform the edge of the acrylic. if you're solvent welding with a 'weld-on' type 3 or 4 ( liquid ) it will be very hard to get a good joint. with a 'weld-on 16 ' ( syrup ) this wouldn't be a problem and a small leak wouldn't be a big problem ( all internal )

HTH
Old 12/31/2006, 07:39 PM
Moved On

i would bend the plastics like you are wanting to. then run the edges through your table saw to trim off the deformed edges at the bends, then gluye up as normal. should work just fine, i would use a clear bottom though if it were me, easier to see the glue in the joint and clear bottom overflow boxes dont cast shadows like black bottom ones do. if you are using cast acrylic go with weldon 4, gives a way nicer glue joint do to the slightly slower flash time when compared to the weldon 3, good for extruded plastic.