Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 12/31/2006, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

1/2 inch uni seals??

do they work? I have used two on diffrent occassions and the both leaked.Its like the pipe doesnt expand the rubber enough around the hole of the acrylic.I dont know has anyone else had this problem.Ive used the 1inch and 1 1/4inch successfully.
Old 12/31/2006, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Re: 1/2 inch uni seals??

I only had problems using uniseals on thin walls where the seal rotated while twisting the pipe.

Quote:
Originally posted by geo*SanAnto
do they work? I have used two on diffrent occassions and the both leaked.Its like the pipe doesnt expand the rubber enough around the hole of the acrylic.I dont know has anyone else had this problem.Ive used the 1inch and 1 1/4inch successfully.
Old 12/31/2006, 07:35 PM
Moved On

mine seem to work very well. i usually heat the uniseal in the microwave for a few seconds, makes pushing the pipe in easier.
Old 12/31/2006, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Mine works well. What type of tool did you use to cut your hole?

Did you 'debur' or sand/smooth the end of the pipe (more importantly the outer edge)?
Old 12/31/2006, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

I used a hole saw 1 1/4 inch in size as recomended.I did deburr the pvc but not the hole in the 1/8 inch thick acrylic cylinder.Hey does it matter that i used schedule 80 pvc (grey) instead of the regular white pvc,I mean is there a diffrence in outside diameter?
Old 12/31/2006, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

I know that there is a difference when you purchase the Uniseal ... they ask (or you should specify) if it is for SCH 40 or SCH 80. I don't know for sure, but I think that they want to know the type of pipe you will be shoving into the Uniseal ... not the pipe that you cut the hole into.
Old 12/31/2006, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

aa haa I bet thats the deal!tommorrow Ill get some regular sch 40 pvc and see if that does the trick.Thanks for the information guys.
Old 12/31/2006, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I've found that it is extremely difficult to pull a pipe back out of a Uniseal. It may be easier to lube and push the pipe through rather than try to pull it (if applicable). Good luck ... I hope it works out.
Old 01/02/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Sch 40 and sch 80 have the same od. It is the wall thickness that is different, therefore id is different
Old 01/02/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I wonder why the guy asked when I ordered them. Sorry for the bad info ...

I wonder if they asked because of the sealing of the exterior of the Uniseal (the outer edge) to what it is being installed in.
Old 01/02/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

i guess if you were drilling into 40 or 80 it would matter, as to the thickness of the rim on the uniseal