Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 01/10/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

issues with toadstool

my toadstool has overnight gone from very pretty and growing to nasty looking and crooked, trying to think of what might have happened, lights are the same as always, feeding is the same as always, wondering whether is it possible for glove coral to attach toadstools? The current passes through the gloves first so wondering whether it could be a chemical reaction. Most of the polyps have dissapeared, and it is not extending as it usually does. Any suggestions? Water changes are being done on a weekly basis, this happened before a water change, so don't think parameters aer the issue.

Thanks!!!
Old 01/10/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tinyreef Send a message via Yahoo to tinyreef
could you post a pic of the layout/situation?

you mention "glove coral", do you mean a lobophytum or sinularia-type of coral? lobos don't seem to bother sarcos as much as sinularia imo. but it could be some interaction "downwind" as you're suggesting.

is the glove coral a new addition? is that why you suspect it? if it's new, try another spot for it. also, if you're not running carbon you might want to think about using it just to see if there's a change.

it happened before the waterchange, is there anything you do before the waterchange normally?
Old 01/10/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

It's this:
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...fm?pCatId=1604
Clavularia sp. it is about3 inches from the toadstool, and yes, the current does go in the direction from glove to toadstool. Let me try carbon and see how it works. they've been together for about 4 weeks now, not sure whether that is the about of time it takes for the reaction to occur. There are some aipstasia underneath the toadstool, I've Joe-juiced them just in case.
Old 01/10/2007, 08:16 PM
Apply within.

Send a message via AIM to fsn77 Send a message via Yahoo to fsn77
If aiptasia were stinging the toadstool, that would be a very good cause for it to be acting the way it is. Leathers don't sting back -- they just dump chemicals into the water. I'd definitely add some carbon to remove those chemicals so that they don't start to affect your other corals.
Old 01/10/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tinyreef Send a message via Yahoo to tinyreef
i'd suspect the aipts too. another waterchange probably wouldn't hurt either.

but i'd doubt it's the clavularia. i've not known them to be noxious other than direct contact and overgrowing something.

i'm sorry, i usually hear them referred to as "clove polyps" or something similar. i was thinking devil's hand or some kind of hand reference when you noted "glove".
Old 01/10/2007, 11:57 PM
reef obsessed

Per Eric Bornemann's Coral book... All toadstools go through periods where they shed a layer of dead waxy skin. It might look very sickly and withdrawn during this time. After the shed it reexpands back to its former. Just a though....
Old 01/11/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

It's improved abit from yesterday to today, so it might have been the aipstasia, I added carbon as well already. Don't see any pieces of skin coming off, but if it gets bigger, I'll be a happy camper. I have some glove growing next to zoas, should I separate them?