Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/18/2006, 10:44 PM
Ride on ya'll

Send a message via Yahoo to ReeferKeith
Anyone have an Indian Mimic Tang?

I have been considering adding one to my 90. I would love to see some pics and hear your opinions on this fish. I wanted an Ebli Angel but I am not a fan of fish that may nip corals as I hate to catch and remove fish. Are they as pretty in person as they are in the Scott Michael Marine Fishes book? Thanks!

OMAS Member
Old 12/18/2006, 10:50 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Beautiful fish, but they outgrow the yellow stripes. Look here:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/spec...esname=tristis
Old 12/18/2006, 11:01 PM
Ride on ya'll

Ah, I was wondering if their coloration changed from juvi to adult. Thanks Gary. They are certainly pretty drab as an adult. I was looking for not so common tang that doesn't get overly large with a good disposition. Any other suggestions?

OMAS Member
Old 12/18/2006, 11:07 PM
yes it's my aquarium

For a 90 reef?
It depends on your other fishes, too...
Old 12/18/2006, 11:11 PM
Ride on ya'll

Currenty I have a Fanged Blenny, Mandarin, 2 Ocellaris. I am looking for something thats not so "run of the mill" if ya know what I mean.

OMAS Member
Old 12/18/2006, 11:15 PM
yes it's my aquarium

How about a purple Zebrasoma, Convict or a Powder Brown?
A lot of the Bristletooth (Ctenochaetus) Tangs are unusual great choices.
A Tomini Tang might just fit into your community setting.
Old 12/18/2006, 11:22 PM
Ride on ya'll

I like the Convict idea, I don't recall seeing those at all around here, and they are a pretty fish. Does their coloration change as they mature? I also like the Bristletooth idea, I'll research more of them. Thank ya!

OMAS Member
Old 12/18/2006, 11:31 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

I would choose a bristletooth for sure in a 90, I really like the chevron tangs myself. That family stays fairly small and is one of the most peaceful.
Old 12/18/2006, 11:44 PM
Ride on ya'll

After digging up a few old threads and articles about the Bristletooths, I am definitely going to go with one of them. If anyone is interested in reading about them I dug up a good article. Ctenochaetus Now its time to go down to the good ole LFS and see what they can order in for me. Thanks all!

OMAS Member
Old 12/19/2006, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Chocolate mimic is by far my favorite tang (and I have a lot of them). The adult is absolutely beautiful with a nice bluish rim around the fins. They look great under reef lighting.

You can see mine in this terrible pic. He is just above the black tang.

Old 12/19/2006, 10:00 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Go with a Tomini. I love mine. The brown has a steel blue sheen to it, and the face/body is covered with tiny orange spots/lines. And of course the graphic orange fin tips and white tail....a very unique fish, IMHO.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 12/19/2006, 10:05 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

If you choose a bristletooth pay special attention to the mouth and make sure its not damaged, those fish are doomed. here's a pic of my binotatus.

jda- nice pic. I love my mimic too but he can be a little booger. I'm hoping he grows out of it since he is just a sub-adult. Is your mimic aggressive? Nice flagfin you there as well!
Old 12/19/2006, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

My mimic has never been agressive at all. All of my fish get along. Most of the time they swim around together until I get close and then they go crazy.

People don't belive me, but I would sell the hybrid tangs, black, purples, PBT, etc. before the mimic.
Old 12/19/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jda
My mimic has never been agressive at all. All of my fish get along. Most of the time they swim around together until I get close and then they go crazy.

People don't belive me, but I would sell the hybrid tangs, black, purples, PBT, etc. before the mimic.
I will but your hybrid and black.
Old 12/19/2006, 11:56 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

jda- thanks for the info, maybe I just got an grouchy mimic. He doesn't go after any of my larger fish or my bristletooth but he will chase the blenny and harrass both of my wrasses from time to time.

SDguy- Those tomini are great fish, thats the one I really wanted but they can be hard to find. I see live aquaria has them now. They are the prettiest adult bristletooths for sure.
Old 12/19/2006, 01:07 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by Kahuna Tuna

SDguy- Those tomini are great fish, thats the one I really wanted but they can be hard to find. I see live aquaria has them now. They are the prettiest adult bristletooths for sure.
I've tried unsuccessfully now for a while to capture the subtle colors/patterns with a photo, but no luck. He is CONSTANTLY moving, and very fast. I've also noticed some variability amongst individuals, so not sure I would mail order one unless it was WYSIWYG.

Here you can kind of see the spots/stripes I'm talking about on mine, but with the camera flash the overall body color looks too orangish/brown. Without the flash he is a blur :

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 12/19/2006, 06:21 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Awesome looking fish Peter!