Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 12/28/2006, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

need help, trying to mod the eheim feeder

I'm trying to figure out how to integrate my Eheim feeder using an Aquacontroller III. Jon Lazar helped me out by explaining how he used an X10 module (um506). Basically, he opened the feeder and connected small guage wires on either side of the manual feed button, then connected the other ends to the Um506. I have a DC8 that has an open plug that I would like to use. At first, I was thinking of using a relay but I'm sure how that would work. Are there any electrical guru's out there that can offer some advise?
Thanks
Old 12/28/2006, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Is it possible to wire a relay so that the circuit that's switched is unpowered? I've been looking all over the net and on reefcentral and still haven't found an answer.
Old 12/29/2006, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

I finally figured out what to do. I wired up a 3v dc power supply directly to the motor inside the Eheim feeder. There are some draw backs to this. I by-passed the computer on the Eheim, so it's either on, or off (no manual feeding) And the Aquacontroller works on minute increments so it spins the drum about 10 times before shutting off. I compensated for this by keeping the gate where the food falls out just a barely open. Even with these drawbacks, I found it works surprisingly well. Now, I can shut off pumps, feed, and have them turn back on, all without going near the tank. I will still feed frozen foods, but this will just help tide them over until I get around to it.
Old 12/30/2006, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

I should also mention that I'm using only flake food. I don't think this would work well with pellet food because the drum could stop with the gate facing down and all the pellets would spill out