Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 11/11/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Angel hardiness

Now this is a pretty tough question to answer, but generally speaking, how do the larger angels rank in terms of hardiness/surviability?

I'm interested in either the

Koran
French
Queen
Asfur
Emperor
Blueface

and i think that's how they stack in terms of suviviability anyways ? Anyone else got a list o' rankings, as i've only kept a few angelfish.
Old 11/11/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

pretty good list....
Old 11/11/2007, 06:56 PM
Team RC Member

I agree, good list. The most important qualities for long term survival I think are:

1) get a healthy, well-acclimated specimen
2) aim for one around 3.5-5 inches long - smaller don't always survive well, larger have a hard time adapting to captivity

BTW, I had great luck with a Red Sea emperor I got as a juvenile from marinecenter.com several years ago. It was a lot hardier than I expected.
Old 11/11/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

feed them well they will be ok . i have 4 and i wish i have bigger tank to put more... also when you add the fish try to add the first first one the queen and after the other they will be more aggressive .

Old 11/12/2007, 10:27 AM
Team RC Member

how long have you had the rock beauty, and what are you feeding it? I had one (juvenile/subadult) for over a year, but one day it just turned up dead - rest of the fish were fine. I was providing natural sponge and angel formula with sponge.
Old 11/13/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaD
how long have you had the rock beauty, and what are you feeding it? I had one (juvenile/subadult) for over a year, but one day it just turned up dead - rest of the fish were fine. I was providing natural sponge and angel formula with sponge.
I have him few month , i feed my fish with mixing food i use about 9 type of meaty food add to it some spectrum and blue lagoon to all this mixing food i add 6 type of vitamin and after i mix it well i put this food in zip lock bags and freeze it like that i have ready food for month.... i also feed the fish (i have 17 fish , 2 mandarin , 5 shrimps) very heavy 2 time a day about 6 cube every time and 2 time a day sheet of seaweeds.

by the way how your was , mine very aggressive (evil) he never stop to chase my queen and not afraid from nothing ,sometimes i just want to take him out of the tank and give it a way.... he is realy beauty but also evil

here is other picture of him (about 5.5")

Old 11/13/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to meintn Send a message via Yahoo to meintn
that rock beauty is a nice looking fish, hope you continue to have good luck with him. If you need to get rid of him, let me know!.

as far as the original post, I think Passers and Korans are at the top of the list followed by most of the angels that don't have a finicky rep
Old 11/13/2007, 02:23 PM
Team RC Member

mine never bothered anything, but he was small and not with any other angels. yours may be evil, but he is absolutely gorgeous. good luck with him.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:24 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

The koran is the most reliable angel on your list, most of them do very well. The french, queen, and emp are also very tough fish and the blueface and asfur are usually hardy as well. Lisa D offers some good advice and I would add that the location of the fish's collection is another very important factor. Korans, emps, and blueface often come out of the Phillipines and Indonesia and these places are notorious for poor collection practice. Get an angel from Australia, Hawaii, the Red Sea, the Maldives, Fiji, Tonga, or other places that collect properly and you will very likely get a healthy fish.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Either the Koran or the French. I have owned both and had them for years before selling to a friend of mine.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

To your origninal question, the hardiest would be the Koran or French angels.

All angels are tricky though. They all require very pristeen water and LARGE tanks. They are also better to get as juvis as if you get them when they are larger it is tougher to get them to eat.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

I've found the blue ring angels to be real hardy. I've got 4 of them now and they handle much better than my korans and emperor.
Old 11/15/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

hmm blue rings i've never really thought about (for pomacanthus they have a very odd body shape ..so one of the least related large angels in that group ? )

I've recently seen several specimens in the 5 inch range..and all seem to be hiding by the powerheads in the LFS so it seemed to me like a bad batch (or slow to acclimate)
Old 11/15/2007, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

I have found Blue Ring Angels to be really hardy, from experience and aslo from friends.

I have had this guy for 2 years now...and is 9 inches in length.

Very strong eater.

Old 11/15/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

MB that is an awesome Annularis! I think that may be my next angel to go in with the Emperor, Blueface, and Queen.

How is his temperment?
Old 11/15/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Well ok i would recommend getting a Maculosus Angelfish or Asfur Angelfish b/c i have seenthem do very well in captivity and i personally have a Maculosus Angel in my Reef Tank. (blue Ring angelfish also falls into this catogory)

Advantage
- very very strong/hardy fish
- eats very well
- fairly good looking
- well eat of ur hand
- always comes out

Disadvantage
- A TOTAL JERK TO OTHER ANGELFISH
- Well literaly hunt down any other angel smaller or bigger if added after it was added.
- Should add lost

I also recommend queen it is very hard also but not as the Rea Sea Angelfish but it a fairly peaceful fish and doesnt tend to get in fights.

&

Emporor/Blue Face/ Majestic
fairly weak fish demands good water quality. But is very peaceful sometimes come out (depends on the fish)
P.S when i say good water quality u should do find as long as ur PH is 8/Am 0/Nitri 0/Nitra 0.
&
The Korean is in the middle of all this it moderately hardy.
&
The French NOT IDEA never tried it.

Also i personally got same of my ployps and dount coral eaten by the korean, blueface (my other didnt), and the queen ate blastos.

Ending Statement: Excuse my gammactical errors did have time to fix and if u wish to talk bout angelfish im usually sometime during the week
Old 11/16/2007, 04:13 AM
Registered Member

hmm jazzzero...from what i've gathered from this forum, the queens seem to be notorious for being one of the more feisty angels
Old 11/16/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Well WuHT i guess but when i personally had them myself it was very very peaceful and when i added any other angelfish it tend to fight but it did try to bit once or twice.
(this is strictly of my own experience)

and to be honest a lot of websites say that clown trigger are "very aggressive" but i also personally have that it in my reef tank and it doesnt fight...much.
Old 11/18/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

ccampbell57 : his temperment is not too bad...although, he can get feisty at times. Especially during feeding. I House him with an Emperor and a French Angel and he can hold his own.

A very hardy Angel!
Old 12/19/2007, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

mavgi what size tank do you have?