Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 01/09/2008, 06:12 PM
sedentaryologist

Hopefully this will spread

All I can say is ITS ABOUT TIME! and I hope that it spreads out towards North Carolina. I Have personally seen firetrucks and ambulances have to come to a complete STOP at a redlight, with sirens blaring, flashers going and standing on the horn because some idiot in front of them wouldnt get out of the way. I also had to deal with a jerk running 10 MPH below the speed limit, right beside another idiot running 10 MPH below the speed limit and I was stuck behind them and they wouldnt get out of the way and let me go, while I was on the way to the hospital with my wife who was IN LABOR. I hope they start writing the tickets soon and show no mercy on people who refuse to yield the lane to faster traffic. Slower traffic keep right, its the law of the road, not just on hills and not just for 18-wheelers.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...rs.beware.ktul

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 01/09/2008, 06:27 PM
Crap Under User Name

Of course, it is equally important to mention that the left lane is not a "fast lane". In other words, the speed limit still applies.

I see a LOT of that in Texas with my job. I wish Texas would enact a law like that one.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

my hubby is a paramedic/firefighter and we have that law here however, he still has the same problem because it is difficult to enforce during an emergency.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

This hole of a state has that law but it dosent matter if it isnt enforced.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:15 PM
Team RC Member

Washington has a lot of 2 lane roads. There is a law against obstructing more than 5 other cars. Unfortunately it is not often enough enforced.

When we had such an emergency, my dad turned on the lights and laid on the horn for 50 miles without let-up, and passed in really scary circumstances...it was spectacular. Did we ever meet a cop to give us some help?
Nope.

I will hand Texas this one: it is the local custom to pull onto the shoulder to allow a car to pass, and it is done routinely and gracefully, with little loss of speed, just a friendly thank-you wave is expected. Texas maintains shoulders that allow this safely.

It is a custom I think should spread nationally. Here in WA some drivers do it in the rural areas, but not enough. I will also move over with one tire over the shoulder-line to indicate to another car that I will accommodate his going around, including speed adjustment in a bad stretch. Some understand how to do that. Some are blithering idiots.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:17 PM
sedentaryologist

Well, where I grew up, if you were driving down the road and you saw a funeral procession coming your way, you would STOP in the road and wait for them to pass before continuing. Remember that if your out in the country in West Virginia and you see a funeral procession coming your way, you better stop or your gonna rearend someone who did. Just a little bit of country respect for the deceased.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 01/09/2008, 09:57 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Send a message via ICQ to Scuba_Dave Send a message via AIM to Scuba_Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Scuba_Dave
I was thinkin....