Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/11/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

reef central is great

I think reef central is great! So much information, so much input, and so much help from people you don't even know that are willing to give a fellow reefer a hand. Keep up the good work every one and thank you all. If you agree put the following number of the thread.

jospears

Thread #1
Old 01/11/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

i agree
Old 01/11/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Marsfrogie
It's great. Gets a little annoying sometimes when the catfights start....
Old 01/11/2007, 08:35 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by Marsfrogie
It's great. Gets a little annoying sometimes when the catfights start....
No it doesn't. That's just your opinion and you can't prove it!

Old 01/12/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 01/13/2007, 03:26 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to euphoricgear Send a message via Yahoo to euphoricgear
yeah i learned so much from this website! you guys are great! :-p
Old 01/13/2007, 05:07 AM
Registered Member

No seriously, I love this website and all the people on here with a passion.
Old 01/13/2007, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

I'll agree with you when they make is so people can search (besides at 2am) without padding the pockets of the owner of the site.
Old 01/13/2007, 05:26 AM
Moved On

Send a message via Yahoo to aquarius77
Dont get too passionate!

Im j/k

I seriously owe my tank to this board, I have learned so much here I cant even begin to explain it. I could have never done it without RC and its members. It is an amazing resource.
Thank you all.
Old 01/13/2007, 05:40 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Eichler
I'll agree with you when they make is so people can search (besides at 2am) without padding the pockets of the owner of the site.
Sorry, I have problems when people complain about something that's FREE.

I don't think that at $24/year which breaks down to $0.46/week for Premium Membership has cash flowing out of the pockets of the owner. Premium membership fee's help offset the costs of items like hardware and the mass quantities of bandwidth needed to keep RC up and running. And if they are making a buck or two off it - I say good for them. Capitalism works.

Too old for women to care
Old 01/13/2007, 05:42 AM
troublemaker

I agree, it is an amazing resource ... that is to say, other reefers are downright awesome.

This board is a reflection of the members, all the great folks reaching out to others with information, help, and understanding.

In other words, you are what makes this board great.
[Thank you!]

Having been here a number of years, I realize that if I listed all the folks who have taught me something, helped me out, and positively influenced my reefkeeping ... the list would be hundreds of other reefkeepers, if not more.

I am positive I would not have experienced the success I have, if RC were not around.

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Eichler
Servers and bandwidth aren't exactly cheap, esp. on the scale this board is. There's been any number of threads discussing this in the feedback forum.

I know I have zero issues with spending hours every week in my moderator position [we're all unpaid volunteers] ... so you can be sure staff here don't think anyone is making bank off the site.

Then again, what you choose to think is up to you
Old 01/13/2007, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dkh0331
Sorry, I have problems when people complain about something that's FREE.

I don't think that at $24/year which breaks down to $0.46/week for Premium Membership has cash flowing out of the pockets of the owner. Premium membership fee's help offset the costs of items like hardware and the mass quantities of bandwidth needed to keep RC up and running. And if they are making a buck or two off it - I say good for them. Capitalism works.
I'm sure the site generates more than enough money from advertisers to support the bandwidth, equipment, and put a little extra money in the pocket of the owner. There are thousands and thousands of forums on the web, this is one of the few that charges to get regular access to the search engine (the only one I'm aware of) and also probably generates more revenue from advertisers than most.

I've made contributions to other forums just because I felt it was a good resource and wanted to see it continue. I'm not a cheap person by any means, and I do appreciate having this forum. But, the way things are setup does however stink a bit of someone being greedy. IMO it's a disservice to the community, nonpaying and paying members alike, to not have the search function enabled at all times. I'll gladly pay $24 a year if they allow everyone access to the search engine. If it slows the site down too much then get new and or more servers.

I'm simply stating my opinion on why I don't think this site is great and is simply good.
Old 01/13/2007, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
If you agree put the following number of the thread.
i still dont get that part?
Old 01/13/2007, 10:35 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I'll admit to not spending much time on other reef sites, so my outside experience is limited, but I prefer RC and think the $24 is well worth it. I think it is a larger resource, possibly because of the fees, which may promote growth. It seems as though the site improves all the time in terms of services, band width and such.

And if someone makes a few bucks .... hey, this is America (or not, this is the www and a world wide economy, right?), that's alright.