Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 11/07/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Girl, 13, gets detention for hugging two friends...

This is just crazy-stupid-ridiculous...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21661718/?GT1=10547

Girl, 13, gets detention for hugging two friends
Illinois middle school bans public displays of affection; parents urge change

MASCOUTAH, Ill. - Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter.

The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

“I feel it is crazy,” said Megan, who was to serve her second detention Tuesday after classes at Mascoutah Middle School.

“I was just giving them a hug goodbye for the weekend,” she said.

Megan’s mother, Melissa Coulter, said the embraces weren’t even real hugs — just an arm around the shoulder and slight squeeze.

“It’s hilarious to the point of ridicule,” Coulter said. “I’m still dumbfounded that she’s having to do this.”

District Superintendent Sam McGowen said that he thinks the penalty is fair and that administrators in the school east of St. Louis were following policy in the student handbook.

It states: “Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved.”

Parents urge change in policy
Coulter said she and her husband told their daughter to go ahead and serve her detentions
because the only other option was a day of suspension for each skipped detention.

“We don’t agree with it, but I certainly don’t want her to get in more trouble,” Coulter said.

The couple plan to attend the next school board meeting to ask board members to consider rewording the policy or be more specific in what is considered a display of affection.

“I’m just hoping the school board will open their eyes and just realize that maybe they shouldn’t be punishing us for hugs,” Megan said.

So if say the one girls grandma had died and she was getting a hug b/c she was heartbroken- then there's a suspension dealt out!!! It's just stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 11/07/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

wow, that is rediculous

Americans are so afraid of showing affection.

Public displays of affection are not always public displays of passion.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Umm....priorities anyone? Isn't there much more important things for the schools to be worrying about than hugging?
Old 11/07/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubman777
wow, that is rediculous

Americans are so afraid of showing affection.

Public displays of affection are not always public displays of passion.

Exactly what I was thinkin' ... It's not as though they were gettin' busy- for Pete's sakes, they were barely even hugging ... I hope the mom doesn't just let it go-I'd fight it as much as much as possible...

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 11/07/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

There is nothing "naughty" about a consentual hug. I think that the world could use a few more hugs.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drauka99
I could use a hug...................

u know if she keeps it up they are gonna have to kick her outta school

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11/07/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

I wonder what happens during sports games. I remember seeing a few hugs after scored goals during tough games, especially in girls' games. Wonder if they will get suspended.
You better stop, stop, stop, stop look and listen." -Rollins Band
Old 11/07/2007, 02:58 PM
Team RC Member

Send a message via AIM to Andrew
Thats dumb. I hug girls every day but it's just a friendly hug. People do worse things in the hall way anyways....
Old 11/07/2007, 03:06 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Send a message via ICQ to Scuba_Dave Send a message via AIM to Scuba_Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Scuba_Dave
I'd tell them to take their detention & shove it
Old 11/07/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

IT is just amazing to me that in this day of Columbine and VT shootings, just amid mass amounts of campus violence, that a hug could be punishable. The problem with violence in our society is starting to present itself. Remember the old schoolhouse slogan "hugs not drugs"? Hugs used to be positive. But I guess I understand since they wont allow sexual education, some people may worry that hugging leads to babies, and then crack, and then demon spawn crack babies.
Old 11/07/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

What about the old slogan going around:

Hugs NOT Drugs!!!

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 11/07/2007, 04:32 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Send a message via AIM to mr pink floyd
well you know you can never be too careful these days, especially with all this MRSA and such. Our coach had to announce to us that the health department says we are no longer allowed to "touch our genitals or our face during, spit or have extended physical contact" during practice.

i thought i would only go blind if i touched that, not get MRSA!

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 11/07/2007, 04:35 PM
in the bathtub

I can imagine that the policy came into effect to prevent youngsters from swapping spit in the hallway. However this is a poorly worded and misapplied policy. The school administration needs to get real.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 11/07/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

"we are no longer allowed to "touch our genitals or our face during, spit or have extended physical contact" during practice"

I wonder what wrestling would look like with these rules applied...
Old 11/07/2007, 04:53 PM
in the bathtub

Quote:
Originally posted by daFrimpster
I wonder what wrestling would look like with these rules applied...
Dance class.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Old 11/07/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to emilye2
I say the school should go on a hug campaign. Everyone hug everyone else as much as possible. Shoot for a full school detention every day for a week! Maybe then they'll get the point....sigh.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 11/07/2007, 06:19 PM
Rubberman

You're asking the administration to somehow draw the line on what's ok and what's not. Just another case of some spoiling it for everyone else.
Though it's a sad rule to have in place I can certainly understand why. Don't use your children to fight this sort of thing, use your presence at school board meetings and with your votes.

SteveU
Old 11/07/2007, 06:49 PM
in the bathtub

Steve this is also a chance for the kids to practice civil disobedience ala Gandhi and Thoreau. The could have a hug in.

Old 11/07/2007, 06:58 PM
in the bathtub

From Wikipedia

Mahatma Gandhi outlined the following rules:

1. A civil resister (or satyagrahi) will harbour no anger.
2. He will suffer the anger of the opponent.
3. In so doing he will put up with assaults from the opponent, never retaliate; but he will not submit, out of fear of punishment or the like, to any order given in anger.
4. When any person in authority seeks to arrest a civil resister, he will voluntarily submit to the arrest, and he will not resist the attachment or removal of his own property, if any, when it is sought to be confiscated by authorities.
5. If a civil resister has any property in his possession as a trustee, he will refuse to surrender it, even though in defending it he might lose his life. He will, however, never retaliate.
6. Retaliation includes swearing and cursing.
7. Therefore a civil resister will never insult his opponent, and therefore also not take part in many of the newly coined cries which are contrary to the spirit of ahimsa.
8. A civil resister will not salute the Union Flag, nor will he insult it or officials, English or Indian.
9. In the course of the struggle if anyone insults an official or commits an assault upon him, a civil resister will protect such official or officials from the insult or attack even at the risk of his life.

Old 11/07/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

that is a big load of bull shizer at my school a PDA is
1) A kiss on the lips
2) a hug for more than 15 seconds
3) innapropriate tuching

if any of these happen you will be told just to not do it again there will not be any punishment

Jack
Old 11/07/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to TikiDan
I am pretty sure the principle hugs the secretary every once in a while in the office when they find out good news, how come they don't get fired?
Old 11/08/2007, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yrema
wow, that was dumb. what next, holding hands will lead to suspension?

Less is more, more or less. :p
Old 11/08/2007, 03:41 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
It states: “Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved.”

hmmm....So I suppose it's in poor taste to say "I'm happy to see you", to shake hands, or to pat someone on the back. After all, those are public displays of affection and in poor taste.

Welcome to school. Please check all manner of common sense at the door.
Old 11/08/2007, 06:51 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Unfortunately the sadder thing is not that stuff like this is in place, its that there are people such as school administrators, board officials, and probably a few parents that actually full heartedly AGREE with measures like this . In 20 or 30 years the world is going to be a VERY scary place to live in because the kids raised with such ridiculous and off the wall rules such as this are going to be the ones running everything.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 11/08/2007, 06:56 AM
Simply Complicated

Send a message via AIM to Aliie Send a message via Yahoo to Aliie
My son & his g/f got the same ISS for the very same thing last year. Her mother was right there when it happen. Not much you can do other than tell them it's the rules so follow them. Believe me I wasn't thrilled.