Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/14/2006, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Gold Rim Powder Blue Tang?

Have any of you seen or heard of a Gold Rim Powder Blue Tang? Does it differ from the regular PBT in any way? Which do you find to appear better looking? Is it more rare? More expensive? Hardier?

Just about any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12/14/2006, 09:31 AM
Who's your Daddy

I believe that is a hybrid that can cost a pretty penny.

I believe that you can find that fish at www.marinecenter.com
Old 12/15/2006, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Thanks GovtCheese, but I can't find anything in MarineCenter. I am not having any luck finding anything on the Internet too regarding this hybrid.
Old 12/15/2006, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tan...rimhybridtang/
Old 12/15/2006, 07:17 AM
Registered Member

thats an achilles/goldrim hybrid. never heard of a PBT/goldrim hybrid. interesting. i would like to see a pic if you can get one. where did you hear of this cross?
Old 12/15/2006, 09:16 AM
angelfish nut!

Gold rims hybridize with both achilles tangs and powder blues... I've had my goldrim/ PB hybrid now for over a year and he continues to thrive... I've seen many of these over the years and no two are the same, as is common with certain hybrids... he's a nice blend of grey and blue... resulting in sort of a steel blue... Here's a few pics at feeding time... the last one he's getting a face full of mysis

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 12/15/2006, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks John

You always come through with some great pics.

A fellow hobbyist in my city here is offering this up for sale and I told him that I am very interested, so I wanted to find out more about it first. He said it's 4-5 inches and that when it feels threatened, the blue turns very dark to be purple, like on the Purple Tang. It's been in his sump for quite a few months now and he's willing to hold it there for me until I lighten my fish load.

I've been hesitant to try the PBT again. I've tried it about 2-3 times now only to have them either not eat and pass away, or from ich.

Thanks,
Raymond
Old 12/15/2006, 12:56 PM
angelfish nut!

Hey Raymond, if this guy's had it for months it would be a great opportunity... like many other tough fish buying a settled in specimen is well worth it. There's also speculation that hybrids such as these are much hardier individuals due to the combination of genes of two seperate species... No way to fully confirm this, but I've spoken with Frank Baensch about his recent captive rearing of his hybrid angel and he believes it to be true also... Either way, you cannot go wrong. It's amazing the differences between individuals... this goldrim/PB cross is not too rare either... tougher to find are the goldrim/achilles hybrids out of Hawaii... I've always loved this wild image of one...

Let us know what you do Raymond... How much is he asking for it? On a side note I used to spend my summers in high school playing hockey iin Guelph

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 12/15/2006, 09:58 PM
Who's your Daddy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by copps
[QUOTE]

copps, those are great pictures of some great looking fish!

what size is this particular tank in the picture?

are some of the angels in the tank mated pairs?
Old 12/16/2006, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Copps- BEAUTIFUL TANK AND PICS!!!

How many angels do u have in there? I see regals, chrysurus, and is that a juvi emp?
Old 12/16/2006, 12:52 AM
High Plains Drifter

Awsome pics!

Jim
Old 12/17/2006, 01:02 PM
angelfish nut!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GovtCheese
[QUOTE]Originally posted by copps
Quote:

copps, those are great pictures of some great looking fish!

what size is this particular tank in the picture?

are some of the angels in the tank mated pairs?
The display is a 180, but the whole system is over 400 gallons... No spawning yet, so they're not mated pairs, but they get along so we'll see in the future The 180 will eventually be swapped for something in the 600 gallon range...

Quote:
Originally posted by XtrmCHoPZ
Copps- BEAUTIFUL TANK AND PICS!!!

How many angels do u have in there? I see regals, chrysurus, and is that a juvi emp?
The second angel that looks like an emperor is actually a second chrysurus I've grown from about 1 1/2". The smaller chrusurus is now almost in full adult coloration... in the photo you could see the yellow tail developing... Those photos are a bit dated, and I've since placed the asfur and the two chrysurus in my holding system in the back after they were picking around a bit too much on the acros... They'll eventually go to a large fish only I'm planning... The three regals will remain in the reef... Thanks guys...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/17/2006, 07:26 PM

Every single tang hybrid I've seen at wholesalers/retailers:

1) Displayed full bellies
2) Ate if I attempted to feed them
3) Had very vibrant 'clean' coloration
4) Had bold personalities

Hybrids rule.
Old 12/18/2006, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by copps

Let us know what you do Raymond... How much is he asking for it? On a side note I used to spend my summers in high school playing hockey iin Guelph

Copps
Hello John

Nope, it doesn't look like that beauty.

So you played some hockey in your life time. Are you still playing? Hockey is a HUGE part of my life. Playing hockey is my top passion (I am a goalie) and watching the Leafs is another (behind family stuff of course ). That's what my user name on here is all about Blue and White are the colours of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Raymond
Old 12/18/2006, 01:10 PM
angelfish nut!

Hey Raymond, mind you that beauty is a goldrim/achilles hybrid... not a goldrim/PB hybrid...

Hockey has always been a big part of my life... I played travel Tier 1 from age 6 in upstate New York growing up (although we lived right over the border in Jersey)... I went on to play Junior A for the Washington Junior Capitals (now the Washington Junior Nationals) and was their Captain for the last two years I played until age 21 in 1998... When I was a freshman in high school I started going in the summers to an elite program at the University of Guelph... you think you're a good player and then you start playing the elite teams of Ontario... I was barely into puberty and we played guys with full mustaches... I got my *** handed to me the first year but the next few years it really benefitted me... Like fish and reefs, hockey has always been and will be a passion in my life... I now play in a super elite "beer league" with a bunch of washed up guys that could stick handle with six pack in them So do you follow the stereotype of a goalie? Let's just say every goalie I played with was a character... Our goalie from Juniors played with the Augusta Lynx of the ECHL last year... You know how it is... hockey becomes an identity... sort of like reefs

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/18/2006, 01:16 PM
Unregistered Member

Send a message via AIM to edwing206
http://www.marinecenter.com/media/ph...C7EE7AB81H.jpg
heres a pic

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 12/18/2006, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

The achilles x goldrim are quite common if you know how to look. If they have the orange tail, then they are a hybrid. I would bet that 1/3 to 1/2 of the goldrims that come in to my LFS are the hybrid.

Here is a really bad pic of mine. You can see the normal PBT coming out from under the flagfin.
Old 12/18/2006, 02:00 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by jda
The achilles x goldrim are quite common if you know how to look. If they have the orange tail, then they are a hybrid. I would bet that 1/3 to 1/2 of the goldrims that come in to my LFS are the hybrid.
[/IMG]
jda what's the name of that LFS? While these hybrids are not super rare they are far from common. When I hit the wholesalers in Hawaii they sometimes have one amongst the plethora of goldrims and achilles... While it may be one out of two or three in your LFS they are one in thousands in the wild.

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/18/2006, 02:43 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks for the PM Doug (jda)...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus