Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/21/2006, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

help

i have a big aggressive sailfin tang. it has never been bad before but my foxface is getting very skinny while the tang is fat as i try to get more food to the foxface. yesterday i came home from shoulder surgery to find the foxface beat up. open wounds, scrapes and his tail chewed up. i had set up a qt for my naked clown from the same tank as he has a bacterial thing going on but am wondering if it is stress. i put the foxface in the qt tank -- how do you treat injuries like he has? also what can i do with the tang? no one would want him as he is aggressive and he has hlle from another lifetime of incompetent reef keeping... HELP!!!
Old 12/21/2006, 10:36 AM
Moved On

Not sure if I can help with injuries treatment. But you might want to consider re-arrange the rock work in your tank so that the yellow tang now has to re-establish its territory and so in the foxface and every other inhabitants.
Old 12/21/2006, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Get the sailfin to a bigger tank and his agressivness will mostly subside.

The fish will have to heal on it's own. If it is eating, feed it all that it will eat. It should heal fast.

1 of those fish is a stretch in a 72 gallon. I think that if you reintroduce them foxface after it heals, it will just get destroyed again.
Old 12/21/2006, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

crazy...

with the foxface being a venomous fish, i'd have thought the tangs would leave it alone.
Old 12/21/2006, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

They are both actually big -- almost 5 inches from nose to tail. They have been together for years though without problems - prior to the 72 gallon they were in a 55 along with a marine beta and a spotted hawkfish! Perhpas it's feeding the nori in clips that has created the aggressiveness. I shifted from flakes to nori because of phosphates. But I have seen the tang going after the naked clown too. The foxface is eating in the qt but boy did he get beaten up. I am surprised at what happened -- that he did not defend himself -- there is not a mark on the sailfin!
Old 12/21/2006, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

I had a red sea sailfin that was one of the meanest fish that I had ever owned. If it had teeth, it would be deadly. This one ate coral too.

That sailfin would be a different fish in a larger tank.