Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/21/2006, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

may need some help

well for any one who has watched the news over the past 12 hours knows that denver is locked down with snow and now im getting worried that we may lose power .. what can i do to keep my fish alive while the power is out?
Old 12/21/2006, 10:04 AM
Moved On

do you have a battery operated air pump
Old 12/21/2006, 10:21 AM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

ive heard you can used a cup and dip the water out and pour it back in this helps with oxygen
Old 12/21/2006, 10:23 AM
Team RC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to papagimp
You can try using a step style bicycle tire pump if needed, the nozzle should fit a 1/4 airline tubing. A battery operated air pump would be nice. In the upmost emergency, get a large cup and keep the surface moving, or you risk the inverts and eventaully fish suffocating from lack of oxygen. Assuming the temp won't drop horribly and freeze them all, the oxygen and water movement is going to be important here. Don't worry so much about lack of lighting, after all, even in the oceans they have storms that block out light for more than a day don't they?

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/21/2006, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

I just went through 13 hours with my 500 without electricity... Had no problems at all.
Old 12/21/2006, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

ricks....yes....cause you have a huge amount of surfact area for gas exchange.....
Old 12/21/2006, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

In October my power went out for 7 days but I got a generator 2 days into it. During those 2 days, temp dropped to 61 degrees. To keep it oxygenated I used a cup and poured water back into it. Luckily I was only 2 months into it so I only had a few fish. I used the generator on the tank and some other house stuff and everything was fine. The fish looked really bad at the time and my one clownfish was even on his side almost dead. Two months later they are all still alive and well including the clown that was very close to dead. Good luck