Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers

Old 11/30/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

where can i get outdoor rocks for pond

hi guys my dad wants to build a pond in the back yard and do you guys know where he can get some rocks so he can aquascape his pond? he plans on doing like the chinese water gardens with the mountains, waterfalls and what not. thanks
Old 11/30/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ezcompany
go through the yellow pages and look for local landscaping yards.
Old 11/30/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

craigslist worked for my friend. We picked up about about a 3000lbs. in ontario for about $60. It was alot of rocks and i would probably not volunteer to do it again.

"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

"Were discussing man,...you have your wrong opinion i have my right one. Its called communication." Mac Inger
Old 11/30/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

i bought all my pond rocks from a rock quarry in irwindale. there are several of them within a few blocks of each other since many of the rocks are mined just a few miles away. do your homework with pricing because they will jack up the price if you don't know how much they are. you can also bargain with them if you are willing to pay cash.

sorry but i don't remember the exact name of the business. if you can't find them, PM me and i will drive by since they are only a few miles away.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bad santa
craigslist worked for my friend. We picked up about about a 3000lbs. in ontario for about $60. It was alot of rocks and i would probably not volunteer to do it again.
wow!!!! 60 bucks for 3000 lbs! was this from some private house and getting rid of rocks? if this was a business, there must've been a 5 finger discount involved. good buy for your buddy.

and absolutely agree about not volunteering to haul that much rocks again. we built a 2000 gallon pond and it was hard labor moving rocksfrom the driveway to the backyard. delivery only covers from the quarry to your driveway. can't imagine having to load then unload. my back is aching thinking about what we had to go through.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

There is a place called Atwood Sales in the Placentia/Yorba Linda area. (714) 779-2661

Its on Lakeview Ave. between LaPalma and Orangethorpe.

Don't expect a lot of help. Its not Home Depot.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

There is a place on Newhope between Gardengrove and Westminster.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

My buddy borrowed a stake bed truck from his job to go to this guys house. He was redoing his backyard so it was
'take all the rocks or nothing
:. Once we were there we thaught we could do it. This guy had layers of rock on top of rocks. We broke one of his wheel barrows and popped the 3 tires on the ones we were using.

"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

"Were discussing man,...you have your wrong opinion i have my right one. Its called communication." Mac Inger
Old 11/30/2007, 08:43 PM
20 & Over Club

Re: where can i get outdoor rocks for pond

Quote:
Originally posted by duc748s
hi guys my dad wants to build a pond in the back yard and do you guys know where he can get some rocks so he can aquascape his pond? he plans on doing like the chinese water gardens with the mountains, waterfalls and what not. thanks
not sure if they still do it but you used to be able to get a permit and go up to the east fork of the SG river and get all the river rock you want....you probably in OC so its too far
Old 11/30/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys i'll try those places any more suggestions would be appreciated
Old 12/01/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by duc748s
thanks guys i'll try those places any more suggestions would be appreciated
we found a nursery that had rocks all over the place and asked if we could have some. The guy said we could have as many as we want. We made 4 trips with a p/u truck and it was free
Old 12/06/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/zip/501051809.html
Old 12/11/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

i'm looking for lace rock, this stuff is grey looking and and lots of noks and cranies. Any suggestions where i can buy this stuff in bulk at a good price? thanks