Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 03/12/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Any info. on Bluespot Angel?

Hello everyone

I am not haivng much luck finding information on the Bluespot Angel.

I know there are some of you with one (or had one) in your tank. Please feel free to post any pictures and information (even if you never had one, since info is so hard to come by).

Thanks.
Old 03/13/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

There isn't much info on them out there at all. They have only been recorded to come from Cebu (Phillipines.) They may be other places, but that is the only confirmed locality I have found. Supposedly they only reach about 5 or 6 inches.

IME they don't always do well. It may be more the method of collection. I've found that quite a few just don't eat at all or just don't eat well and starve to death. The pair that I do have eat just about anything and are extremely hardy. They eat flakes, mysis, brine, nori, pellets (Spectrum, Hikari and ORA's), etc. Not aggressive and pretty melow towards other fish, with the expection that my large bluespot hated my bluethroat trigger. They will harass others of it's own kind so if pairing add smaller first or both at the same time. Here are some of my larger one. About 6"

Old 03/13/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

They are an awsome fish. I had one that was 4" for a while before i had a mystery illness that wiped out my entire tank. They are very closely related to the Grey Poma Angel so any information on them will be about the same for the BlueSpot. I actually had mine in a tank with another angel and he wasn't aggressive towards the other angel. A great community fish.
Old 03/13/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JM68
... They are very closely related to the Grey Poma Angel so any information on them will be about the same for the BlueSpot. ...
Uh-oh, I better do some searching. I have a 2.5 incher in my tank that looks like a BlueSpot Angel, but without the spots yet. Does that sound right? I'll try to get a pic up later today or tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 03/13/2007, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

A 2.5" should have blue spots already. My guess would be it is not a bluespot. What is the pattern on the tail? There is also another one in the family which used to be called a "variant" of the gray poma, but in 2004 it was classified as C. vanderloosi. This one I was fortunate to aquire throught my LFS.

The gray area stops just after the head and the rest of the body is black instead of gray.
Old 03/13/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Thats a Grey Poma for sure.
Old 03/13/2007, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Are you talking about the one in the picture above? That is not a gray poma. It is C. vanderloosi. Look in Scott Michaels Anglefish book.
Old 03/13/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

They are the same fish from two different locals. It was given a different name because of a color varient in a different region. In the fish trade that fish's common name is Grey Poma regardless of local or latin name.

Last edited by JM68; 03/13/2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03/13/2007, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Just like A. ocellaris is called a "percula" clownfish. Still incorrect.
Old 04/11/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Wow, I totally missed these additional posts on my own thread.

Well here's an update for you all. The 2.5" one that I 'had' never ended up eating at all. It hid most of the time too. A week later, the LFS received another one that was about 3.5". I picked this one up and it is in my tank now. It is eating nori, so I think I will have better luck with this one but I don't want to jinx myself yet. This one also stays out in the open most of the time and is not that shy with the other fishes.

I will give it a little more time before I post some pictures.

Thanks and keep posting if you have any other comments.

BTW, the LFS also had a fish that looks very much like the one above by Large Angels, but I didn't pay that close attention to it at the time. If it's still there the next time I drop by, I'll take some pictures and post here.

Raymond