Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 04/06/2007, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a good plan!

Maro1
Old 04/07/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

maro1, what else are you putting in your 400g besides the angels? I need something hardy yet small to eat the scrapes the angels leave behind. Also something else to add a little more to the tank.
Old 04/07/2007, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

12 chromis, Naso Tang, 2 yellow Tangs, bristletooth tang,2 clownfish,foxface,royal gramma

Maro1
Old 04/07/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

What do you think about adding a 5-6" miniatus grouper to my 125g? I would have to take out my two small damsels and the cleaner shrimp I guess. But it would be the 3 angels, 3" queen 4.5" emperor 6" gray 7" snowflake eel, and the 5-6" miniatus. I have a 150g skimmer hanging on the back and a 100g in the sump with a refugium. Think the grouper will be ok to add? They kind of just sit there and hide in the rocks until food comes out.
Old 04/07/2007, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

It probably would be fine. But I think leaving water quality only to the skimmer would not be enough. when you add that type of load I believe must must do more and larger water changes

Maro1
Old 04/08/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

What else would need to be done? I run two HOB filters and have a filter on my overflow. I will probably start doing water changes regularly. I thought most people just ran skimmers as their only filtration. Hopefully I am picking up the miniatus on monday, although it will be in QT at my brothers until my 125g is ready for fish again. So roughly another 6 weeks. I hate waiting, and now I can't even see this fish!
Old 04/08/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Getting the miniatus tomorrow! Too bad it won't be coming home to my place until I am done with the QT. So what else should I run besides the two skimmers, two emp280 HOB filters and powerheads? I am also looking to get fish that eat the smaller scraps left behind by the angels and grouper, since my damsels won't work. I was thinking about a tang or two. Any suggestions? I have just seen where tangs killed many tank mates, like other angels and I do not want to deal with that. Although, I don't want the tank to get pushed around. I'm looking at a small naso and maybe a small purple. Suggestions?
Old 04/09/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DamnPepShrimp
Getting the miniatus tomorrow! Too bad it won't be coming home to my place until I am done with the QT. So what else should I run besides the two skimmers, two emp280 HOB filters and powerheads? I am also looking to get fish that eat the smaller scraps left behind by the angels and grouper, since my damsels won't work. I was thinking about a tang or two. Any suggestions? I have just seen where tangs killed many tank mates, like other angels and I do not want to deal with that. Although, I don't want the tank to get pushed around. I'm looking at a small naso and maybe a small purple. Suggestions?
i have a lg hermitt crab that does wonders on cleaning my sand bed, low maintance, no worries, very hard worker, keeps my sand bed sparkling.
Old 04/09/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I saw him in the feeding video. All you need is one? I have tons of little hermits, but would like some other fish to eat the smaller bits of food as well. I will just end up getting some kind of tang. Maybe will look into picking up a large hermit, who knows.
Old 04/09/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, I saw him in the feeding video. All you need is one? I have tons of little hermits, but would like some other fish to eat the smaller bits of food as well. I will just end up getting some kind of tang. Maybe will look into picking up a large hermit, who knows.
i had 2 lg hermitts but one died and never needed to replace him bc the remaining one does such a good job. but i do see ur point in getting sm fishes to eat up all sm pieces of food, i have my powder brown tang, coral beauty, and maroon clown for that purpose too. if you are going to get a tang, i would try to stay away from powder blues, they are like ich magnets.
Old 04/09/2007, 10:11 AM
Fish Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to moonpod
most bang for your buck nutrient export IMO--setup a fuge/algae/chaeto filter. Cheap, easy to do, multiple advantages. Works wonders for keeping the nitrates down.
Old 04/09/2007, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

I Agree with Moonpod.

Fuge will export nutrients, little fish scrap eaters just recycle and add more nutrients.

Maro1
Old 04/09/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

I have a fuge in my sump, it's listed in my sig, haha. I have chaeto algae in there, does work good. I am trying to get some more live rock, but money is tight right now. So then I should be good with these big heavy eater fish. I am worried about getting a bigger hermit, because he may eat my other crabs and snails. I used to have tons of snails, but most have been eaten. What do you guys do about algae? Mainly on the glass is my problem. I hate using the magnet, but it works the best I guess. Reefmvp, is that all you have for a clean up crew, your big hermit? I will definitely stay away from powder blue tangs, not because of ich, but aggressiveness. My brother had one and it killed his passer angel! I am thinking of a naso tang, and maybe a small purple tang.

Also, the miniatus is now set up at my brother's hosue in a 55g with a purple tang and halfmoon angel. He seems a lot better then when he was in the fish store tank. His colors brightened up, he ate a gupy at the store, but I have yet to feed him at home. Hopefully he will take down silversides and krill. I don't want to feed him live fish.

I just fed my angels, and my gray is turning into quite the monster. That thing is a bottomless pit. I tried dumping in a bit more food for the emperor and queen and he just sucks it all up. I am beginning to wonder if he is going to work out. It should be better when he is in the 125g. So what do you guys recommend to take care of the scraps the big fish leave behind? I really want a tang, naso, purple, any other suggestions? Also I have a lot of regular sized crabs, they should be enough. I am scared to get a big hermit and have him kill my other crabs. Any suggestions are welcome, still trying to decide everything else on my set up. Also I plan on adding a few more fish and upgrading. I definitely want an Australian Harlequin Tusk, and I can't decide what else. Maybe a lion fish or a dog faced puffer with a trigger, blue jaw? Who knows, I should just worry about my current setup, but it's always fun to think ahead and get ideas.
Old 04/10/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Just an update. The miniatus is a PIG! He ate about 5 sivlersides and was taking pieces of clam away from my brothers two fish he is in with. I am worried about putting him in with my angels, he is such a monster. Him and the gray and going to be battling for food. I feel bad for the queen, she doesn't get good pickings.
Old 04/10/2007, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

DamnPepShrimp
Send that Queen to me, I'll take her!

Maro1
Old 04/10/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Send? No way, I don't think I could ever send a fish! Too afraid of it dying. If I were to change anything, the queen would stay. She was my first angel and my favorite. Plus she is the smallest, gives me more time to upgrade. I make sure the queen gets food, I just have to feed a little more, I had to push the gray away with my finger, he didn't care that I touched him! I also just got a good deal on some live rock, I got about 100 more pounds coming into my tank and 30 or so into the reef tank!!!!!!!
Old 04/12/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Don't feel like starting a new post but have another question. I have been at 1.009 SG for about a week now, and I have also been running a UV sterilizer non stop since then. Is that bad? I know you are supposed to only run them a day or so on then a few off, or when needed. That is in a display or reef tank where you need vital items such for corals and rock etc. But for a QT fish only tank, is there a difference? Should I turn it off for a few days?
Old 04/12/2007, 12:58 PM
Fish Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to moonpod
as long as your water parameters are ok (ammonia nitrite) then don't worry.
Old 04/12/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueNWhite
Here's a pic of one end of my tank. Keep in mind that the flash has whitened out a lot of the colour in the fishes.

Funny thing about this one is the Blue Face Angel. This pic was taken in late January 2007. But when I looked recently, I noticed that there is some blue coming back on the tail fin of the Blue Face Angel. I'll try to get a recent picture to show you what I mean. I noticed that my Majestic does a very short chase of the Blue Face once in a while but not causing any harm nor even lengthy chases. I wonder if that is causing the Blue Face to go in a reverse colour transition. That would be strange because the chaeses are very short and very far in between. That is the only bit of chasing that I witness with all of my Angels.
OK, I finally got some pictures to show you all what I mean about this 'reverse transition/maturation' (if there is such a word).

Here are some pictures taken from last month while the picture quoted is from a few months ago. I apologize for the bad pictures:

Old 04/12/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

moonpod, so continue to run the UV or not? My nitrate and nitrite where a little high a while back, but that was before I did any water changes and added the UV. I am due for another 10g or so change, should do that tonight.

BlueNWhite, I can't tell on my computer, my monitor is going so all the images are really dark. I'll have to look on another computer, sorry.
Old 04/12/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
...BlueNWhite, I can't tell on my computer, my monitor is going so all the images are really dark. I'll have to look on another computer, sorry.
You will definitely need bright monitor to see my pics, they are that bad.

BTW, if you look at the old pic above, the tail on the Blue Face has already turned yellowish. But on the more recent pics, the tail seems to have turned back a little blueish.
Old 04/12/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

I do notice the tail was yellow in the above pic and more blue in the bottom ones. It is hard to tell on my POS computer. But you have a very nice tank, I love all your fish, 5 angels! An unheard of moorish idol, 3 tangs, damn, your tank must be stocked! I was going the route you were, but came across a great deal on a miniatus grouper, my favorite. Looks like the small fish are out of the question. Now I will be getting a harlequin tusk, maybe a lionfish and a couple tangs (purple and maybe a powder brown?). If your blueface seems to be healthy and eating fine, I wouldn't worry about the color changing. I don't think it is possible, might all just be in your head, haha.
Old 04/13/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
... I was going the route you were, but came across a great deal on a miniatus grouper, my favorite. Looks like the small fish are out of the question. Now I will be getting a harlequin tusk, maybe a lionfish and a couple tangs (purple and maybe a powder brown?)...
Thanks.

Yeah, I once thought about other fish, like a Marine Betta and other big mouth fish, but then I like to have variety, which includes some small fish. I also thought about a lion, but their mouths are REALLY big. But if you go for the lion, keep in mind that it will be tough to get him to eat. When you throw in any fish for him to eat, I am pretty sure that the grouper will get to it before the lion just about all the time...

Also, be careful if you consider any of the powder tangs. They are truly the worst of the ich magnets and therefore, you risk the health of your other prized possessions.

Good luck.
Old 04/13/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Double posted.

Double post.
Old 04/13/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I know about the powder tangs. I don't know what else in that genus tang to get though. One zebrasoma and one acanthurus. As far as the lion, yeah, that is true about him and the grouper. The grouper is a pig. I am going to have problems with him and my angels, I may have to rule out the lion. I have always wanted one of those though. I had a friend that had a lion in with several groupers and triggers and he would feed live fish and the lion would always get his fill before anyone. Lots to think about, luckily I have lots of time and no money, haha.