Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 05/09/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

How mean are Purple Tangs

I have a 125gallon with:

Copperband Butterfly
Leopard Wrasse
Possum Wrasse
Peppermint Hogfish
2 Occelaris Clowns
Geo Hawkfish
2 Jawfish
Venustsus Angel
Potters Angel

Would I still have room for a purple tang?
Considering getting a very small one, and inch or two at most.

Would I have problems with aggression?
I have heard that they can be terrors. Any advice would be appreciated, I have never had a PT before...
Old 05/09/2007, 08:43 AM
hobbyist

You could probably make it work. I agree with buying a smaller specimen. I think the main problem is adding similar shaped/sized fish after the PT is established. They are highly territorial. Your tank affords some "get out of my way" room. The only fish I would worry about would be the butterfly, but if it is healthy and well established, you should be fine. As always, your mileage may vary. I've kept a couple of them before. One was really passive. The other would follow an angel around side by side. The angel was visibly annoyed, but the tang didn't harm it.
Old 05/09/2007, 12:01 PM
Keeper of Tangs

a purple shouldnt have any problem with those fish.
Old 05/09/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

should be fine
Old 05/09/2007, 01:00 PM
Team RC Member

I'm a little worried about overstocking: a purple gets to be 15". They have their 'aggressive' tag re other tangs, or pancake shaped fish. I had one with mandarin, gobies, and blennies, and he scared the blazes out of the gobies, but never harmed nor offered to harm them. The mandy thought he was her prince charming and followed him everywhere: he taught her to eat mysis.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/09/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

I have never seen or heard of a 15" purple tang. Mine have all grown really fast up to about 5" and then they take forever to get to 6-7".

Tangs are easy going fish. Like many other creatures, they will get agressive to survive if you don't meet their needs. Feed them well (enough to grow at least 1" a year) and they won't beat on other fish for food. Give them plenty of room and they won't kill other fish for space. Reef quality water helps with tangs too. Tangs get a bad rep because they are often first to fight when their needs aren't being met. This should be more of a bad rep on the hobbists rather than the fish.
Old 05/10/2007, 11:58 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

I had a Purple Tang in a FO/LR tank for several years. It grew to about 3.5 inches long, and as long as they don't have to fight with other similarly-sized tangs they are relatively peaceful grazers.
Old 05/10/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jda
I have never seen or heard of a 15" purple tang. Mine have all grown really fast up to about 5" and then they take forever to get to 6-7"...
jda, I agree with you on this. I got mine at about 4". It grew to 5" in decent time, but hasn't grown too much since. He's also the king of the tank, but he's actually very good about it because he never hurts anyone when he reminds them of this fact.
Old 05/10/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Mine(in my old tank, not the 55 currently) tried to destroy my CBB and pretty much any other fish i had except my clowns. Donated him(like a dummy, especially the way they ream people these days) to a LFS to go in the show tank(230 plus gallons). He was mean as all hell, yet one of the most beautful PT specimens I ever have seen. Guy was like Ill put him in the show, which housed many other tangs. I said dont do it...he said they will fight it out and he will be put in his place. I said I got money on him. Week later....LFS owner has a dead mimic tang, blue regal, and a dead yellow. The mimic and regal were far larger than him and established for years in that show tank.

So FWIW there are very very aggressive, alpha PT's out there. I think your CBB would have the hardest time. IMHO my vote is no on the PT, unless you can find one that is no bigger than 2"...even then i consider it to be a crap shoot.
Old 05/10/2007, 02:41 PM
Flowalicious

Send a message via AIM to RichConley
Purple tangs do not get to 15". The largest recorded wild one, is 22cm, or about 7".

I've got a purple tang, hes about 4", we've had him for years in various tanks, and hes a complete pushover.
Old 05/10/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. Obviously mixed reviews. I guess I will error on the side of caution right now and hold off. Never really been a fan of tangs, but something about the PT that I really like.

Of course I like Black and Gem tangs as well, I have great taste in things, unfortunately not willing to pay that much for a fish. Yet....
Old 05/10/2007, 03:53 PM
Go Gators!

I love my purple tang, I have him in my 90. The best thing to do is start small, and make sure he is the last fish you add. Mine is around 4'' and he won't let any other fish in the tank besides gobies and blennys. But It may not work, as you are pretty well stocked, you could make it work. Kinda like flipping a coin.
Old 05/10/2007, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

My Purple Tang is the most peaceful fish in our Aquarium. He is always looking for a meal with and happy to be with the other fish.
Old 05/11/2007, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

My Purple Tang (that my LFS actually GAVE me) is totally peaceful. He doesn't bother any of the other fish. Course he doesn't pay them any mind if they get uppity either. He knows he's king.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:52 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Since you're adding the PT last you might be able to get away with but my main concern would be with the CB B'Fly. They do not handle harrasement well and even a little pestering could cause problems for that fish. If you have a healthy CB then I wouldn't risk it. PT's are also notorious for getting HLLE and you really need to keep them well fed to try and keep it from popping and that will add an extra bio-load to the tank that you may not want to deal with.
Old 05/11/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

I enjoyed reading this thread - especially after spending my entire evening fishing my PT out of my 210 last night!

I had a Yellow, Blue and Purple all together along with a Flame Angel, some true percs, wrasse, and a few others. All the tangs got along fine.

I started to notice 2 of my Lobophyilias's weren't looking so good. The next day, entire sections of them were completely cleaned out. I watched the tank for while and sure enought, it was the PT cleaning them out!

From what I've heard, they are mostly peaceful so I'm going to take this one back to the LFS and have them order me different one.
Old 05/11/2007, 11:19 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976
Since you're adding the PT last you might be able to get away with but my main concern would be with the CB B'Fly. They do not handle harrasement well and even a little pestering could cause problems for that fish. If you have a healthy CB then I wouldn't risk it. PT's are also notorious for getting HLLE and you really need to keep them well fed to try and keep it from popping and that will add an extra bio-load to the tank that you may not want to deal with.
Sounds like there was something wrong with the corals. Tangs have been known to pick at them from time to time but they are usually eating the algae that generally starts to grow on corals when they are dying.
Old 05/11/2007, 11:31 AM
Flowalicious

Send a message via AIM to RichConley
Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976
Sounds like there was something wrong with the corals. Tangs have been known to pick at them from time to time but they are usually eating the algae that generally starts to grow on corals when they are dying.
I completely dissagree. Tangs are just as likely to eat corals as angels, or blennies. ANY grazer is a potential coral eater.
Old 05/12/2007, 12:04 AM
Always Learning

Tangs are not nearly as likely to pick on corals as angels are, it is entirely possible to have a tang that does eat zoos, lps or something, but it would most likely be an isolated incident and not an indication to the eating habits of the species.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens