Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 04/12/2007, 09:36 PM
Guardian of Little People

I would like some input from Reef Fish forum members and participants

Please give me your input on an idea I am kicking around. What would people think about creating a Reef Fishes subforum, with the only threads in that forum "FAQ" about different species of fish? Or, perhaps we could have it set up something like this:

Reef Fishes

Species Subforums

Tangs (subforum)

Powder Blue tangs (thread)

Hepatus (thread)

Etc.

Anthias (subforum)

Lyretail (thread)

and so on.

My thought would be that in the Tang subforum, there would be a "general" FAQ that addresses items generic to all tangs. Within the species threads (Powder Blue tang for example), the first post in the thread could be a link to a search of all threads discussing powder blue tangs. The next post could be a discussion of care requirements specific to powder blue tangs.

I am not sure if the thread would be closed at that point and the only thing updated is the search results every month or so, or if perhaps people could post to the thread their successes/failures with the fish, that they could periodically update with new posts.

I am just thinking outloud, but I am trying to think of a way that people can find quick information about different species, and not have to ask the same questions.

Ok, that was my first try at explaining this. Any thoughts/ideas?

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 04/12/2007, 09:38 PM

PS I didn't "sticky" this because people never seem to read stickied threads

Old 04/12/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

I believe that would be a great idea. You do see some questions asked over and over, but to tell you the truth, that is how I have learned myself. 3 months ago, I had very limited knowledge on fairy wrasses, But after reading that long , long thread on fairy wrasses , I now have 10 different fairies. It seems you always have certain questions pop up week after week, but hey, thats what we are here for.
Old 04/12/2007, 09:50 PM
TRC Leader

Brian, I like the idea.
Even if the thread is started in the Marine Fish Forum, or Reef Fish Forum, and later moved into a sub forum, it's a great way to keep the info organized.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 04/12/2007, 10:18 PM
Extreme Reefer

Send a message via ICQ to npaden
I think it is a great idea also.

The only worry would be controversial things like tank size and having someone post that they kept a pbt in a 55 gallon and it was fine. Not sure if you would want to weed out some of those type posts or just leave them in.

Maximize Flow, Minimize Velocity! Always get a second opinion (and a 3rd, 4th, etc...)
Old 04/13/2007, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

I think that subforums are a superb idea and, ideally with FAQ stickied on the top. But realistically, how many read the stickied "what size tang" thread? But if it would keep people from purchasing fish that are inappropriate to their tank size or environment, it would be terrific. Buying fish that have no chance at survival bothers me as an aquarist and diver. If you make the thread life longer it would far easier to read about a specific fish species; in a general forum that is impossible, in a subforum, it would be feasible.

~Steve~
Old 04/13/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

How many new threads does this forum get in a day? If it is manageable, then I would leave it alone. If it is a lot, then splitting up might be a good idea.

Although separate forums might be good for specific questions, it would mean more forums to visit for those gathering knowledge or trying to outline a stocking plan.

I also feel that long threads don't get read by most that need them. Sometimes answering the same question a bunch of times is what is needed to really help and sink in... it is almost like a personal answer that people pay attention to since it was directed at them.
Old 04/13/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

I like the idea as it would consolidate information by species, thereby helping those that have trouble with the SEARCH feature.

Also, I would consider combining the Reef Fish and the Big Fish/Fish Only section. There are many species that traditionally went into one of the categories, but finding their way to fit into both categories. Provided that precautions are taken and that the facts and experiences are laid out, this should work.

JMHO

Raymond
Old 04/13/2007, 11:36 AM
RC Admin

I'm not a fan of sub-forums. I can imagine just a truckload of them and it spreads out the information all over the place. I do like one single sticky thread idea..."Look here for species specific info"...Then within that sticky thread, you can link to a bunch of dedicated individual species threads. Kind of like the Home Reef Video's thread in Reef Discussion.

Or another idea is to compile some living running documents. Like the FAQ for Anenome's & Clownfish:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=282136

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 04/13/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

I believe the draw to this site is the interaction between people. If you can ask a question and get an answer from another hobbyist it makes it more personal. I myself get bored reading long threads just to get one specific item of info. Just info specific reading can also get real dry and boring. Plus there are new people coming on board all the time that haven't given their opinion on every subject. If a new member comes on board they would have to read every long thread on every subject of a sub forum to see if they can contribute. I think the present format is fine and allows for the best communication of info.
Old 04/13/2007, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

I love the idea. In fact I've hoped you guys would do something like this for a long time now.

If I'm interested in information about Angel fish it would make it much easier to find as I wouldn't have to wade through posts on Anthias, Clowns, Tangs, etc..

It would also be easier for me to give advice on Angel fish as I would see all the most recent posts on only Angel instead of posts on fish I may have no experience with.

Maybe just subforum Angels, Tangs, Wrasses since they seem to be talked about most and lump everything else into it's own forum.

We seperate the coral forums why not the fish forums?
Old 04/13/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Love the idea!

It sounds like it would be extremely helpful and easier to browse the information we are looking for.
Old 04/13/2007, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

I dont think it would be as productive. You will divide the members attention. For example, while in this forum, I may add a post on mandarins or triggers as I glance through the subjects. But, if I go directly to the tang forum, I wont ever see those others, and my input would be lost. The more exposure and input, the better this forum will be.
Old 04/13/2007, 06:34 PM
Go Sooners!

I think it would be a great idea as well Brian. What would you do with all the current threads relating to those subforums? Would you search through all the current threads and divide them into their respecting subs or just start fresh? I'm sold on the idea.
It would be much easier I think for people to gather info on any one type of fish.
Old 04/13/2007, 08:27 PM

I don't think the subforum idea is as critical as some arrangement of relevant threads, which could be accomplished with a simple link to a search. As Mike mentioned, we could have a single stickied thread with links to a thread for each type of fish, and on those individual threads we could have a FAQ and general information.

I also don't want people to think that I want to do this to discourage people asking questions and having the same discussions we always have. Rather, I would look at this as a supplement to what we already do.

Old 04/14/2007, 02:17 AM
Premium Member

I brought up this same idea in the SPS forum. Not one person seemed interested. I thnk it helps build on others' experience and answers the quick hit questions without starting a new thread. It seems like specific questions get answered but we don't build a good base of knowledge on specific species as a group.

I like it here. GO FOR IT! If it stinks - go back to how it is now.
Old 04/14/2007, 04:37 PM

Well, I have done this temporarily. After I slow down a little at work I will take a longer look at the feedback here.

Thanks to everyone, and feel free to add more ideas.

Old 04/14/2007, 07:08 PM
Go Sooners!

Looks good Brian
Old 04/14/2007, 07:12 PM
Team RC Member

Neat idea. I know quite a bit about blennies and gobies, as well as dragonets, less about, say, tangs, and I'm happy to contribute where I can.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 04/16/2007, 02:57 AM
Team RC Member

wrong forum
Old 04/17/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

I think this is a great idea that way it will be easier for beginners to find the general facts on keeping the fish they seek. They will be able to pick and choose what they would like and then look through that thread further for more in depth information. Great idea brian! i'm always happy to answer peoples questions haha.
-brady
Old 04/17/2007, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to Grunt
I would have to agree as well. I think that the subforum idea is the way to go. It would be easier to find specific information on certain fish. It complies the information together instead of having to look through page after page. It might relieve the stress on the search engine.
Cheers