Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 09/28/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

cant maintain stable tank temps

I have a 75 Gal Reef with a 4 65Watt PC lights on top. I do use a canopy as well as versa tops (I have the canopy running 3 fans from a PC to keep it cooler. During the day my tank Temps will hit as high as 84.5 and at night it'll drop to 78.5. I cannot for the life of my understand why. In the tank I run 3 maxi 1200 (2 with hydor rotating deflectors) one Cascade 1000 and a VisaTherm Stealth Heater (250 Watt). My house stays about 74-77 during the day and its not until night when the house cools (windows are open) that the tank temps finally drop. Could my 4x65 watt PCs be responible for all the heat, it just doiesn't seem possible. Any help would be great guys.
Old 09/28/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to an411 Send a message via Yahoo to an411
I am in the same boat as you my temps are all over the place the one thing that I did to improve this is my canopy has a lid on the top that I been leaving open and this helps to let heat out I am not sure if your canopy is designed like mine but it seems to be helping a little as the temp does not get that high anymore.
Old 09/28/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
ould my 4x65 watt PCs be responible for all the heat, it just doiesn't seem possible. Any help would be great guys.
Simple test: Turn the lights off for one day and observe. I bet you a dollar it's your lights + Glass versa-top.
Old 09/28/2007, 12:56 PM
Team RC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to papagimp
PC lights typically are not hot enough to heat up a tank real well, but couple that with those versa tops holding that heat in. It's not going to matter if you have fans running, the breeze can't reach the surface. Versa tops are designed to reduce evaporation amoung other things, evap brought on by surface agitation will cool the tank down. Remove those glass tops.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 09/28/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kuoka
I had that problem too (I have MH). I hooked up a fan over my sump controlled by a temperature controller. When the water reaches 82 degrees, it comes on and goes off automatically when it drops to 79.
Old 09/28/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Same problem with controlling temps. The temperature swings in that range do not bother me though. After years of diving in the Caribbean I can tell you that in nature, these temperature swings are normal. I think we sometimes strive for perfect environments when nature is anything but.
Old 09/28/2007, 02:35 PM
ADDICTED MEMBER

Personally I don not think that you current temperature swings are going to cause any problems.
Old 09/28/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

those arent super severe swings, and it's definitely probably your lights that are heating up the tank to 84.

i'd do a combination of two things;

first, raise the temp on your heater, so that the tank temperature doesnt fall to 78... keep it up at 80ish.

second, use a fan across the water surface... that should keep your temps down at least a degree or two...

those two things should help you maintain a tank temp between 80-82 much easier.... a 2-3 degree swing every day is going to be less stressful on your tank than a 6 degree swing, obviously.