Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/07/2007, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

moonlight

do any of u guys use moonlights any pros and cons. any problems uve had. any difference between the expensive lights and the ones that are about 20 bucks
Old 12/07/2007, 04:24 AM
ADDICTED MEMBER

I use a moonlight over my tank for a few hours each night. My tank does however go to complete darkness for a few hours as I feel that this benifits some of the corals that only fully open when there is no light.

I just use a blue cold-cathode pc tube. Cost about $10
Old 12/07/2007, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

I use a moonlight simulator. Each night there is a different rise/set and intensity from full moon to no moon.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

My tunze controller came with one.

Pro's: when I actually turn off all the darn nightlights my kids and wife set up in the great room the tank looks pretty cool. Nice single beam shooting down.

Con's I am tired of turning off all the nightlights in my great room. I was also difficult to mount (in my canopy at least).

FWIW --landlord
Old 12/07/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmolan
I use a moonlight simulator. Each night there is a different rise/set and intensity from full moon to no moon.
Is that worth the money?
Old 12/07/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

I absolutely love the way a tank looks under a moonlight. I have them for my own viewing pleasure.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

i don't use mine, the room my tank is in gets some light naturally but its still pretty dark.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

I heard caulerpa goes sexual in the moon light just kidding
Old 12/07/2007, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

I have a dual R2 moonlight set-up on my 155, I had to unplug one of them because it was as bright as my 2 96 watt actinics. now that Iv'e had it running for a year now two of the six bulbs on one side have burned out and now the light is perfect, I have it come on just before the actinics at 9 pm and it goes out at 1 am, if it stayed on all night my sail fin will "just keep swimming", I feel that everyone needs complete darkness.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin1231
Is that worth the money?
I would say yes. I bought the one that works with the aquacontroller. I had moonlights in my aqualight pro light strip, but I didnt like them. 1- They were too bright. The fish never seemed to get any rest. 2- There were 4 bulbs and they looked like 4 spotlights shining down into the tank. The new ones had a few pluses. They are just bright enough for the full moon and the light is distributed evenly through the water. If I didnt know any better, I would think the tank was outside in the moonlight. I think this has something to do with the "Degrees" that the bulb shines.

So far I have just fell in love with the asthetics alone. The moon cycle is the coolest thing ever. I havent seen any benefits to the tank yet but at least I know the fish are getting the sleep they would get in the wild.

If you have an extra 80 bux laying around, I would recomment it.
Old 12/07/2007, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeldaly
I use a moonlight over my tank for a few hours each night. My tank does however go to complete darkness for a few hours as I feel that this benifits some of the corals that only fully open when there is no light.

I just use a blue cold-cathode pc tube. Cost about $10
what kind of light is the above and where do you get it? any pics with it on your tank at night?
Old 12/12/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
I have a dual R2 moonlight set-up on my 155, I had to unplug one of them because it was as bright as my 2 96 watt actinics. now that Iv'e had it running for a year now two of the six bulbs on one side have burned out and now the light is perfect, I have it come on just before the actinics at 9 pm and it goes out at 1 am, if it stayed on all night my sail fin will "just keep swimming", I feel that everyone needs complete darkness.
funny you should mention that about the sailfin---I have noticed that it is the only fish in the tank that does not sleep--its always moving around. ...and I run the moonlights all night between when the attinics come off and back on again.
I'm going to have to experiment with that one
Old 12/12/2007, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
what kind of light is the above and where do you get it? any pics with it on your tank at night?
up here you can get a strip of them at home depot(moon rays) and they are not the expensive.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

I used to use 2 Marina Micro LED lights, but I didn't have them on a timer. One night, I came home late and wanted to look at the tank, so I turned them on. The next morning my jawfish was gone. I must have scared the heck out of him when I turned the lights on and he jumped. Leason learned. I really liked being able to watch the tank at night, though, and I intend to put the moonlights back on the tank with a timer after I finish my upgrade.