Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/06/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

MH bulb change frequency?

Im running 2 - 175W 14k MH lights and these bulbs have been in use for nearly 6 months. I run the MH 8 hours per day. Do most of you replace every 6 months?

I have mostly soft corals and a few LPS, and 4 SPS corals currently.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

what brand are they? If they are the Iwasakis they tend to shift hue around 6 mos. You technically could go up to 12 mos if the color doesnt bother you and you dont get algea. Generally MH bulbs range from 9-13mos.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Actually there has been a study recently that has shown the only significant change in PAR is at the 3mo. mark and stays the same 18 to 24mo. there is some loss but very little. Color shift is also minimal in these months past the three month mark I will see if I can find the thread with the links to the study. It is a comon misconseption in this hobby that MH bulbs need to be changed eavery 6 to 12mo. the three month mark is your most sig. change in PAR and spectrium so unless changing eavery 3mo. than there is no need. If in doubt then get a LUX meter and find out for yourself.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, but wasnt that "study" just on one bulb, a 250 watt DE phoenix? It was interesting but not quite representative of different bulb brands and types on different ballasts.
Not to discredit it, it was interesting but I think the intent was to raise the question of whether it would apply in general, not that it does. It suggested that more research on different types and brands of lamps would be worthwhile.

Anyway, I too think that changing bulbs out at 6 months is probably wasteful in most cases. Drop in par is easily compensated for by lowering the bulbs closer to the water. It's spectral shift that would probably be harder to determine.
I guess that "knowing your tank" is the best guage for most of us.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info everyone. The bulbs are 150W not 175 that I originally posted.

Current brand SUNPOD High Intensity Power Paq 14K HQI MH
Old 12/06/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Not the best quality bulbs but I bet they are good for a year or more. I've used the 10K Current branded bulbs before but not for long before they were switched out.
Old 12/06/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

I change mine about 12-14 mos. I have noticed a sig color change in my 175s when it was time to change and I had bought them new. I PAR meter would be nice to have handy.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to pvtschultz Send a message via Yahoo to pvtschultz
I run mine until the color shift is very noticeable or they quit working (only happens on ebay halides). Then again, I only have mushrooms and a few softies and a lone LPS towards the top. I am currently running XM 15,000K 175W lamps with about 18 months of 10 hour days.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, but wasnt that "study" just on one bulb, a 250 watt DE phoenix?

If you go to the lighting filtration and other equipment forum you will find data on over 900 tested bulb and ballst combinations.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmz
Yeah, but wasnt that "study" just on one bulb, a 250 watt DE phoenix?

If you go to the lighting filtration and other equipment forum you will find data on over 900 tested bulb and ballst combinations.
Yes, but the bulbs were not tested for longevity over time.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:29 AM
ADDICTED MEMBER

I change my bulbs at around 14-16 months
Old 12/07/2007, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kdblove_99
I think 12-14Months for SE and 18+ for DE. This is a guess but that when i will change mine out.
Old 12/07/2007, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
Yeah, but wasnt that "study" just on one bulb, a 250 watt DE phoenix? It was interesting but not quite representative of different bulb brands and types on different ballasts.
Not to discredit it, it was interesting but I think the intent was to raise the question of whether it would apply in general, not that it does. It suggested that more research on different types and brands of lamps would be worthwhile.
That is correct. For anyone interested, here is the link to the Reefkeeping article by yours truly.
Allen
Old 12/07/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Allen very helpful and clearly presented.