Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/13/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

zoanthids

how long must i wait before i am safe introducing zoanthids into my new tank? what conditions am i looking for?
Old 12/13/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

What are your water parameters as of today? How long has the tank been set up?

Normally you would want to wait about a week after the tank has no Nitrites,Ammonia, littel to no Nitrates, and the PH is stabile between 8.4 and 8.6
Old 12/13/2007, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

They're pretty hardy. Personally, I would wait a couple weeks after your cycle is complete. Just so you make sure that everything is stable. Once you start getting a couple, you're gonna get bit by the zoa bug and want alot more
Old 12/13/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

How long has your tank been set up?

Zoanthids generally are quite hardy, and in my opinion are a great starter coral. If your tank has cycled(Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 10 or below, and ph is stable) then you will be fine adding some.

Last edited by Drew Reed; 12/13/2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:05 PM
Team RC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to papagimp
You want the tank to be completely cycled (ammonia and nitrite levels have already spiked and dropped to zero again) you want nitrate levels low, preferably zero but at most keep em under 20ppm (some species will consider this too high and not do as well, even some zoo's, different zoo's, different natural enviroments) Wanna make sure the lighting is sufficient (what type of lighting you got going? how many/what wattage PC's?)
and sufficient flow. And naturally you'll want over all water quality stable and corret. Typical Ph values, Alkalinity, ect. ect.

Basically in a nutshell, the tank needs to be cycled. Zoo's are fairly hardy for the most part and tend to do well in sub-optimal conditions (some will anyways) and IME make a decent beginner coral.

What conditions are you seeing in your tank currently?

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/13/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

i am at ph 8.2... 0 ammonia...0.25 nitrite (never had a spike, have been here for a month)....15 nitrate....9 dKH...tank has been set up for 5 weeks...added liverock, cycled, added more rock, cycled again a few days ago....
Old 12/13/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

The cycle isnt over yet, not until the Nitrite hits zero.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:15 PM
Team RC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to papagimp
I wouldn't add anything with nitrite showing up at all, that's an indication of the tank not being cycled or recent ammonia/bioload being added beyond what the tanks filtering capacity can handle. . Probably due to the added rock after the initial cycle. Uncured rock or live rock with excessive die off can/will cause more ammoina and nitrite spikes.

May also wanna get a second opinion on the test if it keeps showing up. Some test kits are highly inaccurate.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!