Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/30/2006, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

I just had to post. FW tanks can be every bit as exciting as SW tanks. They don't have to be boring and in some cases rival or even eclipse a sw or even reef tank.

My FW tank

Michael
Old 12/31/2006, 12:21 AM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
Originally posted by woodstock '69
I just had to post. FW tanks can be every bit as exciting as SW tanks. They don't have to be boring and in some cases rival or even eclipse a sw or even reef tank.

My FW tank

Michael
Yea but I know Discus owners, that is more work than a reef tank
Old 12/31/2006, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

as a teenager and owner of a reef tank,
id say its not that hard. However, it does require more maintenance than just once a month.
However, i, like many others, have found the saltwater hobby much more rewarding than the fresh water
Old 12/31/2006, 03:28 AM
Moved On

IMO fresh water is boring I look at the discuss tank and it looks boring to me. I think if you are just going to do a fish only tank with live rock its really easy. Doesnt cost as much as some people make it out to be. if you become obsessd like most of us then it will cost alot. i say go for it fish only tanks are easy imo.
Old 12/31/2006, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Take a look at the classified section. There are a lot of great deals. There is no way I could get into the hobby if i just went to a LFS and bought everything. Collecting things from classifieds gives you time to read up.
Old 12/31/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

My 6 year old loves he saltwater tank...of course i do the maint. and water changes...she feeds her fish (i premeasure her food for her).

My 3 year old helps me feed my meat eater....sharks, puffers lions ect(sharks and puffers not in the same tank)..he can tell me every fish we have and has a fit if i feed without him. likes to hand me the tools for maintenance.

My 1 year old says fishies and goes to the tank(s) and looks.

I love it when kids like fish tanks...and mine show intrest in helping keep it clean....

I say have fun with your son in the new SW venture...and as far as cost goes....evey hobby cost money so just figure that as a cost of living as you have to provide food medical care and the proper evnviorment for any pet ie dogs and cats as well so if you consider your SW tank as pets and a hobbie its that much more fun in my opinion
Old 12/31/2006, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

While it's true that my planted discus tank takes more work, what about all the posts in this post that praise "Anything worth doing is worth doing well" which certainly in some instances presupposes a "fair amount of time and effort"

Secondly, I have a reef tank (new -about 3 months old)

and as much as I love it - and I DO love it, I love my discus tank as much, and honestly the discus seem more friendly than either the inverts, corals, or sw fish.

Michael
Old 12/31/2006, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Hello there,

Just and fyi from my experience. The cost of a reef tank is going to be about 1000.00 USD to start ( and this is a 12 gallon ). Once you get everything accounted for and start off on the right foot without costly mistakes, that is about the cost.

AquaPod - 129
heater, maxijet 900 and 1200, salinity meter, testing kits, live rock, live sand, gfci adapter or outlet installation, chiller cl-85, eventual 70w or 150w halides depending on corals you choose etc... plus the costs of corals, dosing for larger tanks, skimmer, etc...

Here is a list of the things i have gotten so far. It does not include test kits or the little extras like another container for water changes ( little things )

Reef Tank Items Item Number Price Have Need Eventually Paid Total

12 gallon, 54W Compact - Fluorescent System CD-27228 1 129.99
Visi-Therm Stealth Heater - 50w CD-18710 1 16.99
Instant Ocean Hydrometer CD-116658 1 8.49
Coralife Digital Thermometer CD-18773 2 13.98
Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump CD-517527 1 15.99

Tropic Marin Sea Salt - 50 gallon CD-10978 18.99 1
Arag-Alive - Special Grade CD-12986 26.99 1
SW - DFS Select Nano Live Rock - 16 lb Box CP-80343 69.99 1

NanoReef Parts A & B - Two 8 oz bottles CD-21828 9.99 1
Kent Marine Concentrated Iodine - 16 oz CD-234130 7.49 1
Kent Marine Strontium and Molybdenum - 16 oz CD-234078 9.99 1

Pacific Coast CL-85 Nano Thermal Chiller/Heater (440) 236 8330 1 169.99
Prizm Skimmer - Prizm Deluxe, Up to 100 CD-14412 1 89.99
SunPod HQI Metal Halide Fixture with Lunar Lights CD-22898 1 220.99

Total To Spend 143.44 480.97 185.44 809.85

I suggest you really think about this, research every single part, and think hard about what you want in the tank. Then choose your parts from the get go.

I think that the overall costs associated with this hobby including a ro/di unit or Kold-ster-il unit will come close to about 2000.00 USD

So think long and hard and consider that this is a LONG term commitment. It is going to take about 6 months for the tank to start to really get going, you can't rush it and you MUST be on top of things constantly. I am not trying to stop you from this WONDERFUL hobby. I love it to death, but you really MUST make the commitment. Otherwise you are wasting lots of money and your time.
Old 12/31/2006, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

mynd's advice above is very very good. And pretty much follows my own research and experience. I will say if you have this hang up about getting really good stuff (maybe not the absolute best but next best), you could spend another 25% - 50% above mynd's estimates.

I have a 50g, no sump etc, and I have spent about $3400 so far and will probably spend another $700 - $1000 on more coral and fish. Again I know it can be done much cheaper, but it doesn't have to be.

Michael
Old 12/31/2006, 05:41 PM
"Old Yeller"

Actually the original post is for a Fish only tank..

I suggested that he just convert his existing tank and see how they like it.

It will require far less money and about the same amount of work. If that pans out, then get a larger fish only tank or a fish only with live rock.

Really need to stick to what he is looking at....

A "Reef" tank is another animal
Old 12/31/2006, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Randall_James - You are right. And a fish only tank is just as easy as a fw tank (unless you get exotic) albeit it a little more expensive.

Second, I take some of my earlier post back. After just finishing my bi-weekly (never missed since I started planted discus 12 mths ago) 30% wc with aged water, and 30 min trying to get the algae off the plants - and I look at my reef which needs nearly no maint...and I have to "Say UNCLE". But I do love the tank non- the-less

Sorry for misdirecting this thread.

Michael