Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/31/2006, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Blast Off

Ok Mates,
I have just completed my nightmare of 6 months plumbing my 220 reef. I am now ready to actually add water. Can anyone advise me how to add water??
I have added all my base rock and will add live rock in two weeks.

Should I(1) just fill the tank with RO water, turn on the heaters and then add my 12 bags of live sand or
(2) Fill 6 inches with salted water and then add live sand, and then add salted water to avoid a sand storm??????
When do I turn on my MRC 3 skimmer???????
What do u think???

Thanks Mates,
Happy New year,
G 25
Old 12/31/2006, 10:18 AM
Moved On

If it took you six months to plumb your tank then you have some serious A.D.D. If you salt is already mixed and at the right temp then I say add the sand the put a small plastic bag over a area of the sand and add your water onto the bag. If your salt is not mixed and at the right temp then you are going to have to add water get your salinity right and your temp then deal with the sand storm. What is your live sand currently in
Old 12/31/2006, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

how are you going to add sand with the baserock all ready in there. If it was me. I'd take out baserock, fill with RO water add powerheads& salt till salinity gets to 1.023 then turn off flow, add sand. might be a little sand storm but if your sand is live and wet it want take long to settle down . go to store get a 30 pack of BUD, are a 5th of Captain Morgans and drag up a chair and let the mind start to wonder how you want to landscape
lol your live rock. when it settles IF not Drunk by then turn on flow, add rock. are either have water already mixed, put all your sand in. put a towel over sand and add mixed water . A good way to start off a New Year beer and dont fall in the tank. good luck happy new years-- eve
Old 12/31/2006, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

My Live sand is in 20 lb bags.
By the way, I dont have ADD. Am a Managing Director on Wall Street who trades LDC debt who just went through a horible divorce.
G25
Old 12/31/2006, 10:43 AM
Moved In

Staticx, how about giving the attitude a rest? It's wearing thin.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/31/2006, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grouper25
My Live sand is in 20 lb bags.
By the way, I dont have ADD. Am a Managing Director on Wall Street who trades LDC debt who just went through a horible divorce.
G25
Very sorry to hear about your divorce. I would just go about it like i Explained, But In your case. I would buy me a Keg and a Bunch of C/Morgans and have me a tank party. I feel yah, Cant live with them, Cant live without them. theres plenty more fishes to be caught
Old 12/31/2006, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I Plan too. And by the way , I was not the one who fired the first shot Debbie. Comments alluding to ADD have no place on RC. It was a legit point and fact I was just making.
G 25
Old 12/31/2006, 11:26 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by grouper25
I Plan too. And by the way , I was not the one who fired the first shot Debbie. Comments alluding to ADD have no place on RC. It was a legit point and fact I was just making.
G 25

That's why I was not addressing you.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/31/2006, 11:47 AM
10 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to billsreef Send a message via AIM to billsreef Send a message via Yahoo to billsreef
No problem with having the rock in before the sand, in fact the rock work will be more stable being placed on the bottom of the tank instead of shifting sand

Assuming by base rock, you mean dead dry rock, I would go and fill the tank with your RO/DI water. Get everything running for a day or two to check for leaks and make sure all equipment works. If it all checks out, add the salt mix and let circulate for a day. After this, go ahead and add your live sand and live rock. Just turn the pumps off while your doing this part, let things settle for a couple of hours before turning them back on. Things will be cloudy, but it will clear in a few days

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/31/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Bill. Thats the route I plan to take.
Happy New Year.
G 25
Old 12/31/2006, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
That's why I was not addressing you.
Thanks Debbie, appreciate your support. Happy New Year to you and yours.
G 25