Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 12/31/2006, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

overflow for sump

I'm toying with the idea of using a modded HOB filter to feed water to a sump. I'm guessing that the biggest problem would be matching the return pump flow.

Has anyone tried this before or is it a bad idea just headed for disaster?
Old 12/31/2006, 01:40 PM
Moved On

why not just get a 10 dollar hob overflow. Yeah you could do what you are saying wouldnt be hard to match flow.
Old 12/31/2006, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Where can I get a $10 overflow?

http://www.mahopac.k12.ny.us/mhs/teachers/rizzos/coral%20research%20project.htm
Old 12/31/2006, 01:54 PM
Moved On

ebay
Old 12/31/2006, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

$10 overflow now thats cheap. I'll have to check into that.
Old 12/31/2006, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to culdublvd Send a message via Yahoo to culdublvd
Don't use a hob filter for this. You will get the flow matched, but there will be eventual build up in the pipes that will allow less water through the drain.
Old 12/31/2006, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by culdublvd
Don't use a hob filter for this. You will get the flow matched, but there will be eventual build up in the pipes that will allow less water through the drain.
wouldn't this be a problem with any overflow or would the HOB filter cause this.
Old 12/31/2006, 06:43 PM
King of the white corals

keep in mind that matching your overflow to your return pump is really NOT a good idea. Your overflow should have greater capacity than your return pump so if anything happens to block it it a little bit you dont end up with water on the floor. Redundancy and overkill is a good thing in this regard IMO.
Old 12/31/2006, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
keep in mind that matching your overflow to your return pump is really NOT a good idea. Your overflow should have greater capacity than your return pump so if anything happens to block it it a little bit you dont end up with water on the floor. Redundancy and overkill is a good thing in this regard IMO.
ok I understand now thanks
Old 12/31/2006, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Phinfan,

Don't think of it as "matching the flow". Think of it as "what goes up must come down". If you pump 1 gallon of water from your sump into your display tank ... that one gallon will "overflow" back down to your sump.

What you want is a siphon overflow that is 'rated' for the gph rate that your return pump (from your sump) will put out.

If you have a return pump that is rated for letís say 600 gph @ 4' of head pressure, then you want a siphon overflow that is rated for a little over 600 gph.

Some new guys think that they can hang a pipe into their tank to continually siphon water down to their sump and think that they should find a pump to match that flow rate back to their tank. That is ALL WRONG.

I have never drilled my tanks (I never had the ball$). I use this overflow:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...etail/iid/4982

The first thing I would suggest if you get an overflow of this type, is to look into putting a Durso Standpipe in the outer compartment instead of the sponge prefilters.

I've never heard of a $10.00 siphon overflow. I would be skeptical, but I'd love to see a link. Some people here would be able to give some input and their opinion of it.
Old 12/31/2006, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

By the way ... the purpose of the Durso Standpipe is to make the overflow dead silent. Most any siphon overflow makes a slurping/sucking noise due the the straight standpipe that they use sucking air along with water. The Durso is AWSOME and has become the standard to silencing most any overflow. I believe it is a 'must have' for any reefer.
Old 12/31/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

so as long as the overflow rate exceeds the return pump I'm gtg.

kinda of dumb question but, will an overflow like the one that RandyStacyE linked to loose its siphon when the power goes out?
Old 12/31/2006, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

No chance. Not in an outage or most any equipment malfunction. I donít recall ever seeing an overflow that does break siphon in an outage, at least not a retail one. In order for a siphon overflow to break siphon it would require íneglectí on ones part. Air can slowly build up inside of the U tube. If the air accumulates enough, it can eventually break the siphon. This usually takes a long time for this to happen, but it will happen eventually if certain measures are not taken.

There are many ways to purge the air from the U tube and some are much easier than others. After a long while I found that the safest and easiest way is to make a PVC U tube to replace the clear one. I drilled a small hole in the top of the tube, inserted a small air hose nipple and connected a long air line to it. I hang the hose down to the sump and use a clamp valve (any valve would work) to pinch off the flow of the water. When Iím doing any sort of maintenance etcÖ I open the valve to allow water to siphon from the U tube, this pulls out the air (if any). This works 100% of the time especially when the return pump is off. Since Iíve been doing this, I have not had any air built up in the U tube. This little hose is very handy, upon initial startup, all you have to do is suck the air out of the U tube and the tube is primed.

This is the type of valve I use:

All siphon overflows are susceptible to air being built up. There are some manufacturers that claim that theirs is impossible to fail due to their gimmicky designs and tricks, but whether or not to believe it is for everyone to decide for themselves. The one I suggested is a rock solid design. I have 2 of them and would not replace them for any other overflows Iíve seen or heard about. Right out of the box it isnít perfect. It takes only a couple minutes to put on a Durso and its dead silent.
Old 01/01/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

thanks Randy I'll take your advice I'm going to buy the overflow you suggested. Sounds like you have had lots of luck with them.

thanks
phinfan