Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

This is the coolest.

I'm not new to the hobby, but I just found out abour reefcentral. It is the coolest website !
Old 01/11/2007, 01:05 PM
reef obsessed

Yes, it is. And, it's forum rules that if you have a 240 SPS tank you have to post pics. j/k, but we'd love to see it.
Old 01/11/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

yes and to think if not for reef central - i'd prob. be taking advice from my LFS!
Old 01/11/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miamishrip
yes and to think if not for reef central - i'd prob. be taking advice from my LFS!
Thats what I have done untill now !
Old 01/11/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

i should say that there are LFS that are good! few and far between though - i like to test mine - first i get info from Reef Central Folk - then i go to LFS and ask them the same question to see if they are really trying to help or make a buck.
Old 01/11/2007, 01:42 PM
saltwater in my veins

I always play dumb at the LFS. I never try and be Mr. smart guy, it only annoys them anyways.

I ask whatever question I feel like, no matter how stupid it is or that I know the answer.

It's all a test really. Or was. I now know who to trust..
Old 01/11/2007, 01:58 PM
I <3 Fish.

Send a message via AIM to InvaderJim
Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
I always play dumb at the LFS. I never try and be Mr. smart guy, it only annoys them anyways.

I ask whatever question I feel like, no matter how stupid it is or that I know the answer.

Wow I do the same exact thing at the LFS. And I thought I was the only one that did that. haha
Old 01/11/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

oh i'd never call them out on being wrong! i just ask them the same questions
Old 01/11/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Come-on Post a pic of your tank!!!!
Old 01/11/2007, 02:28 PM
Drunken Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AllenFord_SC
Make sure to check out the online magazine too.

http://reefkeeping.com/

Reef Central rocks!
Old 01/11/2007, 03:13 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

When I ask dumb questions at LFS (my questions are always dumb ), salesmen eyes light up immediately, they think they're gonna make lots of sales to a dummy like me NOT!!!!! I usually run all their input by folks on RC. And it saved me tons of money, sleepless nights, and lifestock is better off
Old 01/11/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Watch out though. This site, much like the hobby gets quite addicting very very fast

You do learn a ton from this site. I love it! It answers all of my questions when I have them, and i usually have a lot!
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 01/11/2007, 03:49 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank

Though I work at an LFS, I do the same to others around the area.
Old 01/11/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Hi all and welcome to TexasPete!

At my LFS, I ask them questions, but then if don't agree with the answer I just say but on Reef Central they say... lol!

Paul
Old 01/11/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Spek that's funny!

I did the exact same thing at the LFS store just yesterday They were pushng me to buy a butt load of sand sifting starfish for my tank. When I asked about whether they would eat some of the good bacteria and organisms in my LSB, they sad, no.

When I said, I've heard differently on RC. There exact response was, "Those guys don't have a clue what they're talking about anyways!" I silently disagreed and laughed inside my head.

It was funny to me to hear that they don't like forums like this.

They also had a million reasons why I made a "bad purchase" buying a Remora Pro skimmer instead of the Coralife Super Skimmer. Now I know the SS is a good skimmer, but it's also teh only skimmer that that LFS carries.

I was thinking, come on now guys, there are other quality options out there besides the one brand that you carry.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 01/11/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

especially when they were selling the Super Skimmer 125 for get this.....$260!!!!
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 01/11/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

I once asked my LFS if he's heard of RC. He's said yeah, and "There's a lot of opinions on Reef Central." Which is true. I've asked about lighting and gotten about every different answer you can think of. When I asked about an overflow, everyone recommended I get an HOB and use a sump (my tank isn't drilled). I wouldn't say I've saved a lot of money (you don't actually save money in this hobby) but I've found all my equipment at much better prices than the LFS. So far, anyway.
Old 01/11/2007, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

TexasPete,

If you haven't seen it already, y
ou should definitely check out Melev's site. If you look in the bottom right, there is a link to the local Dallas reef club.

http://melevsreef.com/
Old 01/11/2007, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Ya, I have mentioned Reef Central too at one LFS here. He said that RC is not a good place to get info from because no one knows what they're talking about. I told him he was ignorant to say that. I'm not shy, I'll state my opinion. So now I just ask the stupid questions, and wait for the stupid answers. LOL. Sometimes I don't get stupid answers tho. The guy that says RC "sucks" actually knows quite a bit!
Old 01/11/2007, 10:42 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by steri
especially when they were selling the Super Skimmer 125 for get this.....$260!!!!
No kidding, I bought my SS125 for $108.00. North Dallas Aquarium a few blocks from me has it for $250.00!!
Old 01/12/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to custarring
I will have to agree that RC is addicting, and also that I thought i had done everything I wanted to do on the internet until i found out about RC now the farthest I venture off from the site is to the linked stores from the forums haha!

But in turn I was referred to RC by my LFS! Everything they have done and said is somewhere on RC as being correct.

Jordie
Old 01/12/2007, 01:01 AM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by steri
Spek that's funny!

I did the exact same thing at the LFS store just yesterday They were pushng me to buy a butt load of sand sifting starfish for my tank. When I asked about whether they would eat some of the good bacteria and organisms in my LSB, they sad, no.

When I said, I've heard differently on RC. There exact response was, "Those guys don't have a clue what they're talking about anyways!" I silently disagreed and laughed inside my head.

It was funny to me to hear that they don't like forums like this.

They also had a million reasons why I made a "bad purchase" buying a Remora Pro skimmer instead of the Coralife Super Skimmer. Now I know the SS is a good skimmer, but it's also teh only skimmer that that LFS carries.

I was thinking, come on now guys, there are other quality options out there besides the one brand that you carry.
There is one main reason they do not like the reefcentral.

Once you're on a forum, they lose a huge amount of money to websites.

I personally try and keep this to myself. Either I found an awesome deal on a personal add, or some other story for not buying their overpriced equipment while still having a good setup. It is the way it is, they do not do it to burn people, it's basic supply and demand...

But I DO insist on buying and will buy all my tanks/stands from them. I buy all my livestock from them, food, live rock, lots of water in the beggining, and other cheaper dry goods on the fly... If it's only 20% more and just carbon, I don't mind.

Gotta spend some money, in the end having them smile every time you walk in can reap benefits..

I could tell they were kinda bummed when I bought the 80 gallon and 30 gallon tank and nothing else. That was probably 25% of what they usually get from a tank sale after getting them to drop the price...

Last edited by HBtank; 01/12/2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01/12/2007, 02:04 AM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to AquaReeferMan
Quote:
Originally posted by miamishrip
i should say that there are LFS that are good!
Yeah theyre the ones that hire people from Reef Central.
Old 01/12/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

I used to be the guy at the LFS,I wish I would have known about RC when I was working there.It would have helped me find the answers to a lot of peoples questions.
Old 01/12/2007, 04:03 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

LFS hate RC because they're loosing their informational monopoly. Which discredits them in the eye of the customer quite a bit when they give advice that is in general disagreement with RC folks.