Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/31/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Following along w/ the posts and I have got to say that your coral and Livestock choice make your tank look larger than a 90gal.
I have a 65gal that's been set up for about 6months (almost 7) and I JUST go rid of an ill tempered damsel today (who was terrorizing every fish, especially my new Dragon Goby), and received my first coral/polyp-creature from my Dad(KyleO). He propagated(sp?) his monster Green Star Polyp and put it into my tank. I'm really happy about that!

I don't have strong enough lighting for any corals such as Acropora, so I'm just sticking to low-medium lighted corals. Your corals look so beautiful! Keep up with the pictures!
Old 01/01/2008, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

thanx silverfin, what kind of lighting do you have??? Congrats on your first coral!!!

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 01/01/2008, 03:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeftanks6
looks great
thanks again reef, following yours as well. Wish we had basements in Florida . Would love to run the plumbing down there.

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 01/01/2008, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

Also, look what i scored today.....

Don't have to buy expensive kalk from fish stores any more i hope Less than $3 a jar

i know....i take pics of everything lol

Old 01/01/2008, 03:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyguy7150
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

thanx silverfin, what kind of lighting do you have??? Congrats on your first coral!!!
Thanx
I have compact lighting.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

yea the basment really helped lol happy new year
Old 01/01/2008, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

First pics of the new year!!!
Trying my hand at some top down pics, need some advice though, I can barely get any good ones, i'll post the best ones...

You can notice a ton of reflections from the light, I don't know how get around this...

Old 01/01/2008, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

These were all shot without a tripod
One shot i actually liked...

and the rest came out like this....

So any of you photography gurus wanna chime in, please do

Old 01/01/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Stand looks great!
Old 01/01/2008, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

looks great
Old 01/01/2008, 07:15 PM
SpEd Man

You need a top down photo box http://www.melevsreef.com/topdown.html . That's how people get the really good top down shots. I thought they looked pretty good anyway!
Old 01/01/2008, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys...

Quote:
Originally posted by crab0000
You need a top down photo box http://www.melevsreef.com/topdown.html . That's how people get the really good top down shots. I thought they looked pretty good anyway!
That's a good idea, one day i'll make one...O and you don't have to be nice i can take some criticsm lol

Old 01/01/2008, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverfin
Thanx
I have compact lighting.
I was able to keep montis with PCs on my 46g.

Old 01/02/2008, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Can anyone help me ID this, it looks like some sort of black sponge growing on the stem of my torch coral?????

if you need better pics of it, i'll use a tripod tomorrow

Old 01/02/2008, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Some more videos...O and dont mind the sound...its whatever was on tv :P
Clownies

Thought that was the clowns talking
Old 01/03/2008, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 07kar93
Thought that was the clowns talking
LOL

Anyone have an idea on what that sponges like thing is??

Old 01/03/2008, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I think the picture of the T5s reflecting over the corals in the tank looks cool, even if its not what you were after. Everything looks very nice.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

So any of you photography gurus wanna chime in, please do
I'm certainly no guru, but I have a Canon Digital Rebel and had some luck messing with the exposure and white balance. A tripod is a MUST, and certain shots will be best if you turn your pumps off. Keep ISO as low as possible without getting a blur. Try not to go over 400. If you have good photoediting software, shoot in RAW if you can (then you can adjust your exposure and white balance after the fact). I usually shoot in auto mode (ISO 100-400) with no flash and a tripod with no other adjustments and the pics come out fine. If I'm trying to do a nice still shot that has the background in focus I will keep my ISO at 100 and bring my f-stop all the way up. Remember to use the timer or a remote when you are on a tripod. Even pushing the button during the shot is enough to create blur. I know this might sound like a lot, but its really not that hard if you spend a night or two researching it. There is a great forum on this site for photography. Everyone there is real helpful and I highly recommend it.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xraydoc
I think the picture of the T5s reflecting over the corals in the tank looks cool, even if its not what you were after. Everything looks very nice.
thanx xray, i'll be following your 90g build

Old 01/03/2008, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reeformadness
I'm certainly no guru, but I have a Canon Digital Rebel and had some luck messing with the exposure and white balance. A tripod is a MUST, and certain shots will be best if you turn your pumps off. Keep ISO as low as possible without getting a blur. Try not to go over 400. If you have good photoediting software, shoot in RAW if you can (then you can adjust your exposure and white balance after the fact). I usually shoot in auto mode (ISO 100-400) with no flash and a tripod with no other adjustments and the pics come out fine. If I'm trying to do a nice still shot that has the background in focus I will keep my ISO at 100 and bring my f-stop all the way up. Remember to use the timer or a remote when you are on a tripod. Even pushing the button during the shot is enough to create blur. I know this might sound like a lot, but its really not that hard if you spend a night or two researching it. There is a great forum on this site for photography. Everyone there is real helpful and I highly recommend it.
Yea i've been reading some of the posts and tips on the photography forum. Been using a tripod for most of my pics, as well as the timer. Trying to get a balance between the iso, fstop and exposure, is my problem. Using a canon powershot s50 btw. I'll try putting it on raw mode, and adjust with photoshop, tried that a couple times, still couldn't get some pics to turn out great. Thanks for the suggestions, o and happy skimming

Last edited by flyguy7150; 01/03/2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

First off I am a virgin....as this is my first post.. I have been lurking for a couple of months reading and absorbing..I Took the saltwater plunge several 6 months ago when I set up my 20Gallon Hex, and now the bug is setting in and I recently ordered a 90 Gallon Reef Tank 3'W x 2'D x2'H. Maybe this should be posted in the New to the Hobby forum but since it relates to a 90G tank I thunk this would be better...Now to the question (phew)...Will a chiller be necessary for your set-up?
Old 01/03/2008, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

I dont think i'll need a chiller, i have a couple of fans in the canopy to help cool the bulbs and the top of the water, never seen the temps go past 82 degrees

Congrats on the new tank

Old 01/03/2008, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

O and...

TO REEF CENTRAL

Old 01/03/2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Looks really good. I wanted to ask you what you stocked in the 46.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justinandkrista
Looks really good. I wanted to ask you what you stocked in the 46.
Thank you
Fish:
1 Blue tang
4 Chromis, 2 yellow, 2 blue/green
2 OC clowns

Corals :
Monti Cap
Monti Confusa
Birdsnest
Torch
Frogspawn
Hammer
Leather finger
Toadstool leather
Green zoas
Green star polyps
Pagoda Cup

Various snails and hermits