Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 09/24/2007, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to thysrof
Korrallin Calcium Reactor Question

I'm running a Korrallin Calcium reactor c-1502. I bought the complete setup from HD and running the ARM reactor media. The tank is 120 gal with medium load,heavy on SPS. Recently the the drip valve on the affluent will clog and or stop,as well as the air release valve. This leads to the reactor chamber becoming cloudy and when I get them flowing again the tanks clouds up and within 24 hours it happens again. I lasted changed the media on 6/1/07 almost 4 months ago.

I'm wondering if its a multi problem, Low quality affluent drip valve(I've replced it twice in one year) and the ARM Media is being used up faster than anticipated,have noticed it has disolved by about 1/3 in almost 4 months.

Thanks Thysrof
Old 09/24/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Use a larger size media like Gen-x, Korallin, or coarse ARM. The small stuff compacts to easily.
Old 09/24/2007, 11:20 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Sounds like you let the pH in the reactor get too low, causing particulates to clog the valves, resulting in an even lower pH, resulting in more particulates....basically mud. I would remove the media. Rinse it in a strainer to remove the dust/particulates (or just use new media). Clean out the valves. Put it all back together. What pH/alk was your effluent?

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 09/24/2007, 11:25 AM

BTW, I use these valves for controlling the effluent:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=15616

I also run ARM.

Old 09/24/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

I have had the same problem, and CO2 started bubbling through the water lifter and back into my tank, dropping my Ph. Good thing I caught it quick.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to thysrof
Thanks For the input,I just replaced the media and cleaned evrything real good. I didn't test the affluent PH before i replaced it. Last time I tested it a few weeks ago it was running about 6.5. I also just ordered a better drip valve(thanks for the link to the supplier) and I will buy a larger media for my next media change.

Thanks Again
Thysrof
Old 09/25/2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thysrof
Thanks For the input,I just replaced the media and cleaned evrything real good. I didn't test the affluent PH before i replaced it. Last time I tested it a few weeks ago it was running about 6.5. I also just ordered a better drip valve(thanks for the link to the supplier) and I will buy a larger media for my next media change.

Thanks Again
Thysrof
Don't go buying the larger media just yet. Once you get the hang of it, the small stuff works great. I'm currently experimenting with large media on the bottom, small on top.

Old 09/25/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Do the US Plastics valves work better than the ones supplied with the reactor? Did you get the 1/4" barb versions?
Old 09/25/2007, 12:59 PM

Yes, and yes. These are needle valves. The ones supplied with the reactor are not.