Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 11/27/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Lackluster growth of macroalgae in fuge

I've had a refugium setup for about 6 months, it's about 3 gallons, with live sand, some small pieces of live rock, and grape caulerpa and chaeto. Water parms are good, Nitrate < 10, Ammonia 0, Temp 76 - SG 1.024. I run about 10 hours of light, a compact fl, 100W.
My chaeto and caulerpa are alive, but definitely not thriving. I don't think I have any 'pods.
Water from the tanks enters the fuge, then flows out through a 1" bulkhead into the sump.
Anything that jumps out as being problematic to healthy growth of the macro algae?

Thanks!
Old 11/27/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Lack of CO2 possibly. My Chaeto in my fuge also was not growing well untill I raised the level of CO2 that my calcium reactor was putting out. Now I didnt raise the level to get the Chaeto to grow..I raised it to get the pH down in the reactor so the Mag chips I have in it would disolve. The by product of this was in few months the Chaeto tripled in volume.

But Chaeto not growing is not a issue in it self since most of us have it in the fuge as a way to export nutrients. So if its not growing then your nutrient level in the tank might be low, which is good.

My 2 cents
Jim Mc
Old 11/27/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

IMO, the caulerpa needs to go; it will rob the reef of calcium. As far as the cheato, a lot of factors besides lighting will affect the growth; flow, food, water chemistry, gas exchange…
Old 11/27/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

do you dose iodine?

When I used to have my refugium online, I had the same problem you were having where my macro-algae was not doing well. My chaeto would be a faded green and wouldn't really grow. Then, when I started dosing lugol's solution, my chaeto did well. Was a dark green color and grew fast.

If you don't dose iodine, PLEASE BE CAREFUL 'cause that is something you do not want to over-dose. Do a search here or on google for "chaeto and iodine" and you will see a few good reads on the topic.

good luck...
Old 11/27/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I would like to get rid of the caulerpa, but as poorly as it's doing, it's doing better than the cheato, so I'm not ready to ditch it yet.

I don't dose iodine.

What should the flow be like for the macroalgae? Light, moderate, vigorous? Is it highly sensitive to that, or should it do ok with different levels of flow?

I have a clear cover over part of the fuge, I'd find it hard to believe, but could that be enough to restrict proper gas exchange?
Old 11/27/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Marsfrogie
Iron is a macroalgae nutrient. Also, you can try cutting off the protein skimmer and see if it grows faster. You may have very little "nutrient" to export.