Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/30/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Niger Trigger

I've read and heard yes's and no's from various sources regarding keeping a Niger Trigger in a reef.

Opinions from the reefkeepers here at Reef Central on whether the Niger Trigger would be considered "reef safe" would be very much appreciated. What are your thoughts, successes, failures, yea, nea?

Thanks
Old 01/30/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

I have a friend who's had one for 6 months and it's been fine...but I've heard horror stories too....so I think it's in times like these it's good to remember that each individual fish is gonna be a little more/less aggressive than the next no matter what species it is...they're kinda like people in that respect. So...if you do decide to get one...I'd watch one in an lfs for a while and see what its personality is like first
Old 01/30/2007, 12:57 PM
I <3 Fish.

Send a message via AIM to InvaderJim
There are other triggers similar to the niger that are considered more reef safe. The bluethroat, and pinktail.
Old 01/30/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

...the crosshatch
Old 01/30/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

I've had a 2.5" niger in my 75 gal for 2 months now with mixed results. He hasn't eaten any snails, h.crabs, fish or mushrooms. I don't have any corals yet. He did bite a starfish leg, fights w/my yellow tang over his favorite spot and food. He is very aggressive towards the other fish and very territorial as he was the 1st fish I added. I worry about my ocell. clown and am afraid to add any small gobies. If i had it to do over again i would probably pass on him as he will only continue to get more aggressive as he gets bigger.....He is a trip and I love to watch him play/eat but it's a lil scarey at times.
Old 01/30/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replys. Reason I ask is that they are my favorite trigger. I loved having one in my fish only tanks years ago. Never had any problems with them in those situations unlike a huma and bursa that I have also had in the past. Sounds like I should probably pass in the reef though. Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 01/30/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Triggers are commonly quite timid and gentle for the first 5 or 6 months when introduced to a new tank, which often gives many aquarists a false sense of security regarding these fish. However, then they become more comfortable and at home, and start treating their tank as their own private territory. This is when the trypical 'trigger' behaviour starts occuring.

My advice is along the same lines as Zacharytrimble, find one in your lfs if your still really keen on getting one, and observe it for a few days/feedings, and with its tankmates, then make your decision.

goodluck
Old 01/30/2007, 06:23 PM
Detritus Eater

I have an Niger Trigger in my reef, although unintentionally. He doesn't bother anything, YET. Hopefully he never does. He's about an inch in length.

"It all starts with a small freshwater aquarium. Then it turns into miniature estuaries on the carpet, and an afterwards fragrance that has the power to kill anything that's ever lived"
Old 01/30/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Thats the perfect size for a trigger. Onces they get to about the 3-4 inch length they cocky, and some have been known to turn into monsters overnight.

Some recent-ish amatuer research however has stated that the earlier/younger you get a trigger, and the longer you've had it in the same tank, the less chance it will become aggressive. A thought to ponder.
Old 01/30/2007, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

I had a Niger Trigger for a few months and it was an awesome fish. Behaved really well and didn't bother a thing. This lasted for maybe 3 or 4 months - but my king of the tank tang finally made it jump to it's death and it went carpet surfing.

I've been thinking about replacing it ever since.

Ron