Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Top Ten Ideas & Tank of the Month Nominations

Old 01/30/2007, 09:07 PM
Detritus Eater

Top Ten Worst days in reefkeeping

1. My octopus eggs hatched. The isolation containers were ready. The tank was cycled. The food... This is when I discovered that no one ships Amphipods to Canada.

2. A very smart cowrie decided to crawl into the skimmer outflow in the middle of the night. The result was something comparable to a volcano erupting, but instead of lava and chunks of rock, it was salt water and chunks of dirty skimmate.

3. I had carefully re-done my aquascaping to my specific needs. There were numerous carefully sized nooks and crannies at the bottom so shrimps and other small animals can hide. I wake up and find it buried in a foot of sand, with an eel goby popping out, with his smug little grin.

4. My Midas Blenny jumped out of the tank. I had kept it in a net breeder for five minutes. It seemed healthy and alert. I let it into the tank and it darted right into a reef lobster's den. it was never seen again.

5. It takes me 2 hours to separate a bunch of small octopi into individuals breeding containers, which I spent $70 on. In about 20 seconds they were sitting on the outside and laughing at me before swimming away. They sure have a sense of humor.

6. I never knew the tern "Frogfish" should be taken literally until I found a daring individual sprawled upon my coffee table.

7. I bought 3 tube worms, and placed them carefully in the rockwork. The next morning I find them in random places on the ground.

8. The day my refugium disconnected from the tank and flooded. I wanted to have an aquaculture facility, not have a room that smelled like an aquaculture facility.

9. I ordered $150 worth of stuff online with my credit card. I live in Canada, so when asking for shipping location, i chose "Canada."
I get an email the next day with a short simple message: "Sorry, we don't ship to canada"

10. I decided to fix my 6000 GPH pump while it was functioning, underwater. I now call it: "The Geyser Vent 2000"

"It all starts with a small freshwater aquarium. Then it turns into miniature estuaries on the carpet, and an afterwards fragrance that has the power to kill anything that's ever lived"