Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 06/18/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Metallic Green Star Polyps Question

I hope i am posting in the right forum. I bought a medium bundle of these things the other day and they haven't been opening as expected. The first day and a half they opened and looked great. Yet for the past couple of days they haven't been opening at all. They are sitting on the sand. I was thinking that they may be adjusting to the lighting. I have a 150 compact MH (sunpod). All of my water parameters seem to be doing o.k. The only other thing i can think of is that there is a bit of brown substance hanging around about five of the polyps. I have some lugols but don't want to dip, from fear of doing the wrong thing. If you could help out or know where the best place for placement would be. I heard that these things are extremely easy to maintain and really would like them to pull through, because they look really good when opened. I will post some pictures later

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06/21/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

still not opening
Old 06/21/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

ok...here are the pictures, just after i did a lugols dip. I hope that i did the correct thing. When i did the dip i noticed two worms that came out each were about a little over an inch....and they looked pretty nasty, maybe this was the problem?
Old 06/22/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

My star polyps took about a week to open. How lomg have you had them? How much flow is hitting them? Mine don't like a lot of flow. And the loguls dip is a good idea. The worms could have been bothering them but I don't think that was the problem.
Old 06/22/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

It looks like they aren't getting enough flow. My GSP LOVE flow, i they look like grass in a tornado LOL. I would blast that stuff off, dip them in some lugols/tank water and put them in better flow. Just let them be after that, they can be finicky but are almost impossible to kill.
Old 06/22/2007, 07:57 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

They truely love a lOT of flow....

" Charles V "
Old 06/22/2007, 08:41 PM
RC Mod

Send a message via AIM to geo
[moved]