Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 12/06/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

acros dieing HELP!!!!

i recently had a large A. samoensis die 4 days after arrival from a very online dealer. i thought nothing of it as i just figured it was from the stress of shipping or what not. Then about three days later i had another samoensis start dieing that had been in the system for 4 months it took about three days to go. Then two days ago i noticed a spot on another acro that had been in the system for 4 months also, and as of last nite that peice is half gone and i know have a spot on a frg in the system as well. Last night i did a lugols dip on the two affected peices at half dose. there are no red bugs on the peices or nothing else visible. so now i am seeking some outside assistance from you guys
Old 12/06/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

also my system is around 600g total with an 11 ft long 365g display 3-400w 20k xm and 2-250w 20k xm, 100g refugium 100g bare sump with a pacific coast dual chamber cal reactor, and large E.T.S.S. comercial skimmer. water parameters are 1.025 gravity 8.2 ph 425 cal 4 alk, no traces of nitrate nitrite ammonia or phosphate. temp swings from about 78.2 at its coolest point in the day to about 82.6 at its hottest point in the day. the system is about 80% sps 5% lps 5% zoos and 10% softies.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

wow with all the great minds on here that keep sps no one has any input?
Old 12/06/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JackKerouac
do you mean alk expressed in dKH or meq/l?
if it's 4dkh it's really too low.
I think your new coral did RTN-STN and the other colonies has been infecetd!
Old 12/06/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

not sure wich scale it is on i know that the alk is pretty good so id say meq/l. i really hope its not going to spread to all the colonies in the system becuase i do have quite a few, any precautions i can take to stop the "infection"
Old 12/06/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JackKerouac
not easy to treat as disease when a coral got it....
If you start to see that other colonies have it you could dip your coral using Tropic marine proc coral cure(here I use Betadine...it's iodide base disinfectant,but as long I don't know what could be similar in USA I suggest you a commercial product) cut the part that lost the tissue ,run carbon,water change and cross your fingers ....
Old 12/07/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

thanks jack thats what i have done so far. and trust me i can barely sleep at night over this, i am constantly studying everything else in the system to make sure no spread is occurring from this and so far everything but these two corals are ok. any advaise is appreciated though
Old 12/08/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

just bumping this thread up in hopes that someone will have an answer