Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 12/15/2007, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

RTN and STN Why Me

Okay after 3 months of STNing my milli and table rtned over 1 week(6-7in corals) and other corals are effected now. I have tested for Nitrates with Salifert and no problem there. Same with phosphate. Cyano is growing pretty rapidly and caulerpa has made a return. It looks like phosphate problem but no tests confirm that. I cannot see any red bugs with my magnifying glass either. I am treating for them but any other thoughts

Ideas before I give up?

Tank Specs
58gal oceanic
6x39watt t5
2x Tunze 6000

Euroreef RS-180
Aquatic Sys CA Reactor
Eheim return
Won Bros Heater

Pair of Clowns
Tomini Tang
Six line wrasse

30 colonys of sps no make that 29, 28, 27

:mad
Old 12/16/2007, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

Bump for not being a newbie.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Any fluctuations in alkalinity, salinity, or temperature? Do you run a phosban reactor or uv?
Old 12/16/2007, 11:31 AM
Nothing to put here

Even though you are measuring no nitrates and phosphates, you obviously have them if you are growing algae and cyano. The algae is using up the nutrients so they dont show up on the tests. As for getting rid of the extra nutrients, it all comes down to nutrient balance... put less nutrients in, or take more out.
Old 12/16/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to sjfishguy
I agree with lobster, in my opinion phosphate kits are pretty worthless. Algae in our tanks will take phosphate out as soon as its in the water column; sounds like a phosphate/nutrient problem to me.
Old 12/16/2007, 06:03 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Send a message via AIM to twon8 Send a message via Yahoo to twon8
i would check for aefw
Old 12/16/2007, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

I cannot find aefw or red bugs but I do not have a microscope to look for the eggs. I would agree with the nutrient problem but if I am only feeding 2-3 times per week and 5 gal water changes weekly nutrient should not be bad.
Old 12/17/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Maybe the water that you are using for either top-off or to mix the fresh saltwater is introducing the nurtients.

Are you using RO water? Also, have you tried testing the saltwater you mix for water changes for nitrates or phosphates? I would test the saltwater you are going to be using for water changes to see if this is the sourse of your nutrients.

Also, what do you feed your fish? When I feed my fish frozen brine or mysis shrimp I make sure I rinse the food with RO water first.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:43 PM
troublemaker

Are these captive frags, aquaculture colonies, ???

Good suggestions above, just trying to figure if the source/history of the corals have something to do with it.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem with several of my acros. I tested constantly and had my LFS test my water and found no problems. I was advised to try a phosphate reactor anyway and have had no problems for the last 3 months.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

Aquacultured colonies or frags. RO/Di Kent Hi-s. RO tested neg for nitrates and phos. And 0 TDS. I feed frozen brine that I just add to the tank.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

Are you straining the food before you put it in your tank. If not the stuff the food is frozen in will cause excess nutrients
Old 12/18/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

As Miked mentioned, if you don't strain and rinse the frozen food you are feeding you are introducing excess nutrients. I used to have problem with excess nutrients in my tank and I never knew where they were coming from. One day I read that frozen foods should be rinsed because they otherwise introduce excess nutrients. After a while of doing this my corals started showing much better colors. I would suggest you try rinsing the frozen food you feed to keep the extra nutrients out of your tank.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:08 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Send a message via AIM to twon8 Send a message via Yahoo to twon8
i would switch to mysis, much better food than brine shrimp imo
Old 12/18/2007, 01:32 PM
Boomer gave me this

Do you run filter socks? In case you do you need to be careful about bleach.
I followed everybodys here routine of bleach then water only and was losing a colony almost every 2 weeks. I finally though about the bleach, stopped using it and for the last several months no rtn.
I now use bleach again but I soak the socks for 24 hours in a solution of Prime from seachem and for the last 2 months no RTN. This wasn't a scientific study but I am pretty sure that was causing it, I figured it out when I would lose the colony a day or 2 after the socks were changed out.