Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/17/2005, 04:39 PM
RC Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Snarkys
Hang on skimmer reviews: prism pro deluxe VS aquac remora pro VS deltec MCE600

have now owned three of the more prevalent hang on skimmers and i thought id post a review for anyone who may be in the market for one or thinking about upgrading.

First was the prism pro deluxe like $150 new . If dialed in right this thing can work OK but the problem is you need to toy with it on a daily basis to get it to function well. real pain in the butt if ya ask me. My main issue with it though is sometimes it just goes nuts and produces a ridiculous amount of wet foam that spills out the top of the collection cup all over your floor. this is not acceptable to me at all so i replaced it with what everyone said was one of the best hang on's around , the aquac remora pro.

Seems everyone on RC recommends this thing and says it does a fantastic job so I bit and bought the aquac remora pro ($270 with the overflow box). I have to say i am disappointed in this thing on so many levels . First it is extremely noisy, I got used to it after a while but I'm sure it bothered any guests i had over. The unit also has two crappy options for what to do with your pump. either you have that huge mag 3 dangling in your tank or you use the ridiculously large overflow box. I personally choose the overflow box because IMO it looked better but i was not happy about it. lastly the thing was extremely inconsistent , it was either producing absolutely nothing or it would go nuts and fill the cup in 20 min with clear water. even on the occasion that it did slowly fill with wet foam it never had the stench of any of the other skimmers. there really isn't anything about this unit that i liked at all, looked bad , made a ton of noise and extremely ineffective. I had pretty much given up on hang on skimmers and decided that they all suck and i should just do more water changes. however after some research i decided last week to try the deltec MCE600.

Even though everyone loves deltecs and they all say this was great a great unit i kinda thought in the back of my head that this was going to just be another piece of crap but for a change i would spend $440 rather than $150 or $270 on a crappy HoB skimmer. Well i have to say i was delightfully wrong about this unit. This skimmer runs almost silent, just a very low hum that can only be heard from a few feet away. if i used the dampening kit they gave me, even that noise would prolly go away. maybe 1/10 the noise of the remora . The deltec is also extremely unobtrusive and only you hardly even notice it is in the tank . just a clear pipe in the tank rather than a huge box or pump. More importantly the unit is a billion times easier to adjust and after one day is already producing a thick dry stinky foam that i am very happy with. i am very happy i broke and spent the money on this thing, I don't have even one complaint .

on a side note the remora with overflow box sold on ebay within a few hours for $200 so i was able to upgrade to this for $270 with shipping. IMO money very well spent

anyone who comes across this post while searching for info on one of these skimmers should feel free to bump this so others can see it and not have to waste money on the useless cheaper brands of hob skimmers. If i had it to do over again i would either buy this one first or go without a skimmer and do more water changes as the others are almost useless.
Old 12/23/2005, 01:21 PM
Generic Member

Good info. I had the same exp with the Remora Pro. Either nothing or overflowing weak tea colored water. When I first dropped it in the display and saw that mag3 danging there, my thought was, "They have got to be kidding!"

Glad to see you finally got a good skimmer.
Old 12/23/2005, 01:40 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I just have to wonder if Aqua C has quality control issues. My Remora Pro runs great. I get very dark colored skimmate and good production based on how much I feed the tank. Then there are others who do everything right and can't get them to skim to save their life.
Old 12/23/2005, 02:27 PM
Generic Member

Grim, I honestly think you'd be quite surprised if you tried a different skimmer. Especially in a tank that size. Both the ASM G2 and the Deltec AP600 I'm now using will easily pull in a day what the remora would in a week. Both are quieter as well.
Old 12/23/2005, 02:44 PM
RC Sponsor

I also think one of the big reasons so many people are happy with it is because they have not tried any other units that perform better. Another reason might be the aqua c only performs in certain conditions , if you have these conditions it is an OK option. where the deltec can be easily be adjusted with the cup height and air valve to work for any tank.

everyday the deltec hang on produces almost a full cup full of very thick dry skimmate that makes me want to throw up if i catch a whiff of it . its like comparing a cup full of green tea to a cup full of guinness : )
Old 12/23/2005, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

As I am looking to add a skimmer to my new reef tank very soon, I was wondering if this (Deltec MCE600) might be too much skimmer. My tank is only 45 gallons and I do not have much room under the tank. My wet/dry filter setup is using most of the room, so an in sump is out of the question I'm sure. I will post a picture later that may help clarify this. So, it looks like I am left with a hang-on as my option. The Deltec looks to be very high quality and I like that (I'd rather only buy something once) but I was wondering about the rating (almost 200 gallon). I also read somewhere that for some inverts it is possible to "over skim" a tank; is that true and therefore something I should consider?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 12/23/2005, 03:57 PM

Mine seems to do the job as my nitrates are just detectable. Not really sure what I am going right but as long as the water quality stays like this I am not too concerned about having a better skimmer.
Old 12/23/2005, 06:06 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by craiga
As I am looking to add a skimmer to my new reef tank very soon, I was wondering if this (Deltec MCE600) might be too much skimmer. My tank is only 45 gallons and I do not have much room under the tank. My wet/dry filter setup is using most of the room, so an in sump is out of the question I'm sure. I will post a picture later that may help clarify this. So, it looks like I am left with a hang-on as my option. The Deltec looks to be very high quality and I like that (I'd rather only buy something once) but I was wondering about the rating (almost 200 gallon). I also read somewhere that for some inverts it is possible to "over skim" a tank; is that true and therefore something I should consider?

Thanks,

Craig
they do make one that is a bit smaller and cheaper. I've never heard of over skimming, even with the best equipment on the planet our tanks will be 1000 times more filthy than the ocean that these organisms live in.
Old 12/23/2005, 06:29 PM
Generic Member

I agree, you cant overskim.

Snarkys, Time to update your equipment profile...

Here is what my G2 did after installing it. There was a lot of stuff that the Remora never pulled out. It settled down after awhile to a "normal" level of skimate after all the excess crud was skimmed out. The Remora was pulling almost nothing out of this same tank.

I dont think I want this stuff in my tank!
Old 12/24/2005, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

not too much skimmer

I dont think the Deltec is too much skimmer for your 45 gallon.
I have mine on my 25 gallon. np.
Friend of mine has his on 65 gallon np

The Deltec Hang on is BY FAR the best hang on out there....
I like the Remoras but NO CONTEST between the two....
But then again the the Remoras are 1/3 the price!

So....somewhere value comes into it...

For me...DELTEC IS ALSO THE BEST VALUE because you get
a skimmer that REALLY REALLY REALLY WORKS WELL...

Tim
Old 12/28/2005, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

I posted this in the Deltec forum but thought it might be helpful for this thread also! I have owned the Remora and Remora Pro and had bad performance form both. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Deltec MCE600 and am glad I did.

Click here for my Deltec review:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=735864

Here is my post with result in pictures:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=736530

Last edited by fishermike; 12/28/2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12/28/2005, 12:08 PM
RC Sponsor

My only issue with it is it works too well and i have to empty that small cup all the time . i wish it came with a drain . anyone ever modded one of these ?

other than that i could not be happier with this purchase i really feel this is the best value for the dollar spent because it out performs the others by miles.
Old 12/28/2005, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

jeez, we need some competition to get that deltec HOB down in price...it sounds too good to be true- a quiet skimmer that pulls out a nasty foam... i hope more deltec knockoffs come in and invigorate the competition, this way we win..
Old 12/28/2005, 12:59 PM
RC Sponsor

the design is simple and could easily be copied/tweaked i think its the pumps that make deltics cost so much.
Old 12/28/2005, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Im currently using a cheap and nasty skimmer at the moment ( I can't believe I've had it for almost 2 years :/ )

It hardly skims at all (thats why i do a lot of water changes) , so its time to upgrade to a new skimmer.

Would someone please post up what the deltec MCE600 looks like haning off their tank

I just want to get an idea of what it would look like .

PS anyone else have lids on their tanks?

Thanks chaps

James.
Old 12/28/2005, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

I dont believe it

When someone says design simple and easy to copy and tweek....well.....I am sure you could get something that resembles it but NOT A CHANCE of replicating it close enough....
There is more to skimmers then pumps and acrylic...

Deltec did not get this good overnight.

They are pricy....but..usually you get what you pay for in life....

Cut corners..ya..but cut end results also...definitely...

Tim

Last edited by sohal tang 1; 12/28/2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12/28/2005, 09:45 PM

What Tim said. I've heard there is actually a correlation between the water velocity and the bubble size as far as making a skimmer work really well. Trying to duplicate a good design isn't going to be all that easy.
Old 12/30/2005, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Guys,

you are lucky.
I bought a Deltec MCE600 last week & it flooded my floor. I trusted this high quality & did not test it BUT it came out with a water leakage defect.
The shop was so kind to replace me another one next day.
BUT same water leakage was found at the same position when I did a water testing at the shop this time.
Now I am waiting for their shipment from German after New Year.
I think this is a highly performed skimmer BUT I do have concern on its QC.
Old 12/30/2005, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to wds21921
I still think the make up of our individual tanks has something to do with how a particular skimmer works.
I too started out with a Prizm (regular not the Pro) and had similar results of having to fine tune the waterflow weekly after about 5-7 years of use, it did get a little more consistent.
I then upgraded to the Remora Pro with the Mag 3 upgrade and to be honest I'm ecstatic about the results.

One thing to keep in mind is that I believe that with a high flow skimmer (according to tank size) you CAN eventually semi-catch up to your bioload.
This is not to say you won't have bioload at all but that after a while your color in your skimmate may weaken in it's smell or appearence (darkness). I've seen this several times with a few of the skimmers mentioned here as well as some others.
The hard part is in knowing of when the skimmate is light in color and smell because the bioload is now light or if it just a weak skimmer.
If your skimmer produces very well for a while and then the skimmate loses it's darkness and odor it could very well be lightening the bioload OR it could mean your skimmer simply needs cleaning too. This is where experience falls into play.

These are just my experiences with my own tanks and skimmers.
Old 12/31/2005, 01:58 AM
RC Sponsor

well that theory wouldn't apply to me because soon as i put on the deltec i was pulling out a sick amount of stuff
Old 12/31/2005, 05:13 AM
Got Nog?

Send a message via Yahoo to DeltecRules
Here is my deltec, its rocking!! Best skimmer I ever had. I did have a remora pro, coralife super skimmer, asm G-1, euroreef CS5-2 and they don't even come close to the production of my hang on deltee. I have it on my 55 gallon.

A week full of Gravy yum yum

Old 12/31/2005, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

"Hobby Experience: Total Noob"

Enough said.
Old 12/31/2005, 01:47 PM
RC Sponsor

: )

I think i will always be a noob in this , no matter what i learn there will always be a billion more things i don't know . i think when i have 10,000 posts i may change from total noob to just noob ...

facts are, i took of the remora that was either producing nothing or filling with a very light green water with almost no smell in a matter of minutes to hours. when i put on the deltec , the very same day it started producing a thick sludge and has every day since then . this stuff smells so bad i don't dare open the cup until i get to the bathroom because it sticks up the room for quite some time .... The unit also runs at about 1/10 the sound level and takes up way less space inside my tank.

keep in mind that i was so disappointed with both the remora and and prizm pro that i thought all hang ons must just suck and was going to just take the remora off and do more water changes but i decided to at least try what everyone says was the best option for hang ons . So this is is a review from someone who honestly expected the deltec to also be a waste of money but was pleasantly surprised to find it worth every penny spent . it is better on noise level , appearance and foam production , what else could i ask for ?

Last edited by Snarkys; 12/31/2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12/31/2005, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

So over whatever amount of time you've had the deltec running, you haven't noticed any changes in either the odor or the coloration? Referring to my theory about catching up to the bioload.

I'm wondering about noticeable differences not just questionable ones.

And you also saw it immediatley pulling dark skimmate within an hour or so after removing the Remora? (Pro?)

I'm not questioning it's ability to pull good skimmate at all or that it may in fact be a better overall skimmer.
I'm just curious about those who say things like "the Remora is horrible", "the Remora doesn't work", etc. If they didn't work then I've seen way to many lucky people in a small area including myself.

I guess my problem is having to pay $400 or almost double the cost of a decent skimmer which is essentially the cost of a new tank, for one small piece of equipment.
Since we know that removing the skimmate, colloidal proteins and waste from the tank give us better quality water and hopefully better and healthier animals is it that much of a benefit for the cost ratio?
My apology for the jab too.
Old 12/31/2005, 08:47 PM
Generic Member

I'm in the same boat as Snarkys. My Remora Pro pulled out next to nothing. I tried it HOT, HO-sump, in sump, mag3, mag5. It never worked well. Either lots of very weak tea colored water, or nothing at all. I dropped in an ASM G2 and it startded pulling out stuff immediately. Without exaggeration, it pulled out more in a day than the Remora could in a week. It pulled out a very heavy amount for a few weeks, then it tapered off to a "normal" amount when the tank was cleaned up.

I'd much rather pay $400 for something that works than $225 for something that doesn't.

I run a Deltec in sump these days. Have you seen anyone who has upgraded from the Remora to the Deltec MCE that hasn't been very impressed with the change?