Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01/02/2008, 04:50 PM
discotu discotu is offline
Registered Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 92
source for thinwall PVC pipe

I am looking for a place that carries thinwall gray PVC pipe. Similar to what one would find on more expensive skimmers. If someone can point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it!

Old 01/02/2008, 05:19 PM
JaredWaites JaredWaites is offline
Premium Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Destin, FL
Posts: 651
Send a message via AIM to JaredWaites
That's probably not thin wall.

Thin wall is used in irrigation mostly and is Schedule 20.

I plumb all my stuff with Schedule 40, after time thin wall gets brittle and easily breaks...especially if its exposed to high light intensity and/or UV.

Try an irrigation supply house if you are sure you want thin wall pipe or maybe Home Depot. But if you want a grey pipe, your probably looking for electrical conduit or Schedule 80 pipe.
Knowing something is having first hand experience - Me

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 01/02/2008, 05:32 PM
discotu discotu is offline
Registered Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 92
if you look at ER or even ASM skimmers, they use thinwall gray PVC pipe and it is NOT sch80 wall thickness...probably half the thickness of sch 40 if that. obviously the application would be low pressure, in my case a durso stand pipe.

I remember a LFS had some a while back and it was shipped to them in plastic sleeves. It was thinwall and the outside finish was shiney with no printing. I remember, cosmetic grade PVC plumbing...
Old 01/02/2008, 06:49 PM
Newlin Newlin is offline
Registered Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Noble, Ok.
Posts: 222
I got thinwall from either Lowes or Home depot.
Everything that I own is for sale, click my little red house for info. Local pickup only.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:18 AM
dattack dattack is offline
Team RC Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 4,707
Your LFS in Southern california can get them. They get them from Allseas wholesalers because that's what they used to make their ASM skimmers.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:22 AM
BeanAnimal BeanAnimal is offline
Premium Member
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 11,710
HD and LOWES carry it. It is called "SDR-21" not schedule 20. SDR is a method of pipe sizing where the wall thickness has a direct relation (a ratio) to the pipe diameter. Schedule 40 and 80 pipe have a fixed wall thickness, no matter what the pipe diameter.
There are other SDR types as well. SDR-13.5, SDR-21, SDR-26, SDR-35, SDR-41, etc.

Somebody mentioned "low pressure". Even "thin wall" pvc such as the SDR-21 pipe has a working pressure of 200 or so PSI. SD-41 is 100 PSI. You do not have any equipment that will come near to producing pressure like that. ANY SDR pipe is more than hefty enough to handle you tank system pressures. Heck wimpy vinyl tubing can handle the pressures and it is only rated at maybe 20 PSI.


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef Central Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2009