Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 09/06/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

magnetic frag holder

Has anyone tried this magnetic frag holder? I just want to see pics of it set up and know how well it works and if you like it.

http://www.oceanswondersonline.com/c...06/4962425.htm

I'm broke!
Old 09/06/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

I made my own with plastic coated rare earth magnets and love them. Much better than suction cups and I like how it looks like a floating shelf.
Old 09/06/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Would you mind showing me a picture and directions on how you made them?
I thought that they were very neat and would like to make some myself. It doesn't seem like it is that difficult.

I'm broke!
Old 09/06/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

i made one easy and cheap, get a cheap cleaning magnet, mag floats work but are more$ i used a hagen one that was like 5$ and cut then eggcrate and ziptie or silicon/glue it to the magnet and ur done
Old 09/06/2007, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

somebody made one using egg crate and those little Lee Mar suction cups on 3 corners
Old 09/07/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I used the magnets from the tunze nano streams. Works well and holes tight. Best thing is the magnet already has holes to zip tide the rack.
Old 09/07/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

I think I will give this a shot. If anyone can share their pictures, please do so. thanks

I'm broke!
Old 09/07/2007, 02:15 PM
TANK RAIDER!

here ya go

[/IMG]
Old 09/07/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

In this picture, it is hard to tell how you have the magnet attached to the rack. Can you describe it?
thanks for the pic.
Anyone have any others?

I'm broke!
Old 09/07/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by apex003
I made my own with plastic coated rare earth magnets and love them. Much better than suction cups and I like how it looks like a floating shelf.
What strength magnet did you use? Where did you find them? I found this link. Are these strong enough for 55g glass thickness 1/4"?
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetai...=BX084PC%2DWHT

I'm broke!
Old 09/07/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Yep, you're on the right track. I used the round ones on this page, although I think the cubes would work too:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=164

1/2" ones fit nicely in the space on the eggcrate and I just superglued them (just put some glue down and set the magnet in place until it dries or else the mag will slip all over). I then use the larger 3/4" ones on the outside to get a little better hold. Should work fine for 1/4" glass/acrylic. I will say that when my rack is fully loaded, I can run into problems with the weight causing the rack to loose magnetism during waterchanges. When there's water, it's fine. I'm sure you could overcome that with more magnets per linear distance. I have 3 sets on a rack that's about 9" x 3". Watch your fingers when you're working with these magnets. They're strong little suckers...
Old 09/07/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

cool. thanks alot. Appreciate it.

I'm broke!