Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Chemical Valley Reef Club

Old 09/26/2007, 08:44 AM
Fish Wrangler

OT - Weimaraner

My wife hates my new dog, a 4 month old Weimaraner. It is AKC registered. Gorgeous dog. She doesn't like it because it's a puppy and likes to get a little mischievious and it drags all kinds of stuff around the yard, gets in her flowers, etc. Would anyone be interested in the dog? He is very smart. I want to keep him but she is making me get rid of him. I gave $500 plus cost to get him registered, but will take $300 for him. He is already registered AKC and has a pedigree German bloodline. Hit me up if interested. (
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 09/26/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Awww be patient with him. I had a weimaraner for 13 years, until he had to be put down and he was the most AWESOME dog.

Very smart, loyal and adjusted well when we had babies.

He was missed so much.

Give him some time and i'm sure you will not regret it.

Good luck!

Becky
Old 09/26/2007, 09:02 AM
Fish Wrangler

Believe me I want to keep him. He's an awesome dog. But he is just going through the typical puppy stages.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 09/26/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Yes he is. Hopefully, she can ride it out...it will be worth it.

Becky
Old 09/26/2007, 09:13 AM
Fish Wrangler

My problem is that we use to have a German Shepherd who NEVER grew out of his puppy stages. We kept him till he was 3 years old and he still kept his same habits. We could not break him. We ended up giving him to a breeder. I guess my wife thinks the Weim will do the same thing, but I think he will outgrow the puppy stages sooner.
Old 09/26/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Just remember, they are two diff breeds of dogs. Diff personalities, habits, traits, etc.
Old 09/26/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to carb850 Send a message via Yahoo to carb850
Have you considered looking to see if you have any Weimaraner rescues in your area? If so, rescues are more likely to put dogs in good homes. At least the ones I know of. Actually, we had to fill out applications and have a home visit from the rescue to make sure we could provide the dogs a good home.

Last year we adopted 2 Boxers both from rescues. We found the girl at the local Boxer rescue, she was about 5 years old and had a very hard life. Then we got a puppy that they believed to be a pure blood Boxer from a non-breed specific rescue. They found a box of 3 puppies and were trying to find them homes. The little guy is now a year old and we believe him to be a Boxadore. Both of these guys have wonderful personalities. I will say though, adopting the adult was a MUCH easier transition. Maybe something to consider if your looking to get another down the road.

Good luck on finding your guy a good home.
Old 09/26/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Friends of mine got a high energy (bird) dog a couple of years ago. She's never done damage to anything of theirs because they've always given her plenty of her own stuff to chew on, pull on, and tear up. They go to the GoodWill or Salavation Army and pick up used stuffed toys for a quarter each, remove the eyes or anything that could be harmful, and she can have-at-'em without harm to their stuff. Tug-o-War is a favorite. She also gets plenty of things (rawhide, etc.) to chew on. Keeps her busy for countless hours. Plenty of "deliberate" exercise should help, too. Try actually leash-walking the pup a couple of times a day. Expend some of her energy. Good for you and for the pup. Get her tuckered out. Just ask Caesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer); he knows his stuff. Dogs are very needy; puppies are needier. If you don't provide them an outlet, they will find their own, and that's likely your stuff. If you can't provide that then the pup needs a different home for sure. Best of luck. I can see you care!!!
Old 09/26/2007, 05:30 PM
Fish Wrangler

Oh believe me I try my best to tire that dog out and he has endless energy. We walk every evening and play fetch, etc. It's of the morning when we are gone to work that she tears everything up. We have a large (1 acre) of fenced in yard for him to play in. That's a good idea on the Goodwil toys, never thought of that.
Old 09/26/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to carb850 Send a message via Yahoo to carb850
A friend of mine has a Border Collie. She says that dog has unbelievable energy. Her routine, is to hit 20 tennis balls for her every morning. Rain or shine, she wakes and hits these tennis balls for the dog. It seems to help her get a little of the excess energy used first thing.
Old 09/26/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

I'd get rid of the wife, not the dog. Why not? Your wife will leave you eventually (after taking half of everything you own) but the dog will love you until it dies. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
TR
Old 09/26/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mcox33
Quote:
Originally posted by WVfishguy
I'd get rid of the wife, not the dog. Why not? Your wife will leave you eventually (after taking half of everything you own) but the dog will love you until it dies. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
TR
You Guys always say we leave and take everything but it has always been the Guy who gets everything in my experience.

Usually I just want rid of him so bad I take the kids and go. But this time he took everything before I even knew he was going. So don't say the Female always gets everything Please.
Old 09/27/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to apapas
what color is the dog brown or gray
Old 09/27/2007, 02:27 PM
Fish Wrangler

I didn't know the weimaraners were available in brown. Anyhow, mine is full stock, he is a gray/blue color.
Old 09/27/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

They are a beautiful dog. What about another one to keep him busy?
Old 09/27/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joyski58
They are a beautiful dog. What about another one to keep him busy?
LOL then it wouldn't just be the dog looking for a home.
Old 09/27/2007, 07:28 PM
5 & Over Club

Re: OT - Weimaraner

Quote:
Originally posted by jmccown
She doesn't like it because it's a puppy and likes to get a little mischievious and it drags all kinds of stuff around the yard, gets in her flowers, etc.
Puppy proof that yard. In a nutshell don't leave out what he's dragging around the yard. Just like you would a toddler. That's what he is
Quote:
We have a large (1 acre) of fenced in yard for him to play in.
That's what he's doing. He has no idea he's not suppose to play with what's in the yard. It's there so it's his toy.

I went through this last year with the labradork. Big time destructive big puppy Had to put up or hide EVERYTHING that looked even remotely interesting. Yelled leave that alone...don't chew that hose more times than I can count.
My flowerbeds looked like hell last year but that's the price you pay sometimes. fwiw ask Matt or Dwight I've got more than a couple flowers
This year all is well, flowers were beautiful and I have an awesome dog most of the time.

Joyce has some great ideas about more toys. You might want to try a stuffed kong too.
Quote:
We walk every evening and play fetch, etc. It's of the morning when we are gone to work that she tears everything up.
Try to wear him out in the morning before work. A tired pup is a good pup. Exercise in the evening won't help the next day.

Rock cooking it's what curing use to be.
Old 09/27/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to apapas
I also didn't know they came in brown. my boss has a gray one so I thought I'd ask him if he was interested in yours. first question was is it gray or brown. he says they come in both thats what his breeder told him. I have never seen one. he didn't tell me yes or no yet. he would be a great owner he treats his animals like royalty anyways I'll let you know what he decides
Old 10/05/2007, 09:09 AM
Fish Wrangler

Pics

Old 10/13/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

bring him too me and ill give him a good home.

oh ya i live in canada
200-250 lbs of Live rock
mag 24 return pump
2- Seio 1100
1 Hydor korlia 3

Live Stock
6" Naso Tang
5" Yellow Tang
8-10" Blue Ring Angel
5" Sohal Tang
3"Singapore Angel
Old 10/20/2007, 01:51 PM
5 & Over Club

Jason
Do you still have the pup? There's a lady up here that might be interested.
He's absolutely adorable btw

Old 10/20/2007, 03:25 PM
Fish Wrangler

I think my wife has adapted to him. He's calmed down a little now. So for now I am not selling him.
Old 10/22/2007, 02:20 PM
5 & Over Club

That's great news

Old 10/30/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful dog. He will be your daughters best friend once he settles down. I am glad to hear he is growing into the family. They were right in telling you this dog will be very different than your german shepard. I love g. shepards. I have always had shepards until my son was given a minature pinscher for his birthday 4 yrs ago. Major culture shock for me! Little needy, yappy, blanket stealing dogs. They need sooo much attention! I love them very much but had to research and read to figure out their behavior. We now have 3 black and tan min pins.

Get a good book to learn about the breed. It will teach you how to train it along with insight of it's behavior. Talk to other people that own the breed and they can help you transition it into a good family pet. Good luck! Updates and pictures would be great!