Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Chemical Valley Reef Club

Old 09/18/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

I'm new to Charleston, WV...

Hi all,

My husband was recently transferred for work to Charleston, WV. I'm going to be living part-time in WV and part-time at home in Pittsburgh for 2 years. Since I'm gonna have a lot of free time on my hands during the day, I'm looking for something to do.

I'm told there are a couple cool LFSs in the area. Can you give me some specifics? I'm near Cross Lanes, WV. Are there any public aquariums within driving distance?

Are there any other interesting attractions or sights I should check out?

Are there any really good restaurants? All I seem to find are chain places.

Thanks!

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
and various snails and hermits
Old 09/18/2007, 01:09 PM
Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

There are 4 LFS. Fuji's is off the Davis Creek exit of 119 (near target) JoMars is in Nitro. The other 2 aren't worth seeing IMHO.

There aren't any aquariums close but there is the Clay Center museum downtown that is really nice. There is a WV museum in the capital complex that is intresting. I'm not sure but there are a few fall type festivals this time of year. The New River is about an hour away but you should check out Bridge day.

For food I like Soho's in the farmers market, Power alley grill at the baseball field, Blues BBQ near the clay center (there used to be an awsome cajun place there).
Old 09/18/2007, 01:10 PM
Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

Let me know what day your going back to Pittsburg. You can drop by my house and get some free frags. I have quite a few I need to thin out.
Old 09/18/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Well as far as public aquariums, outside of the LFS's the closest around here would be the Kanawha River and Ritenour Lake in Nitro, LOL. Not to be a smart a@# but there are none around here.

LFS's Jo-Mars in Nitro which is on the main drag across the railroad tracks from the High School. Fuji's Reef Shop which is off the So. Charleston exit of I-64 on Jefferson road. Those are the best around I think. Inland Reef is a LFS in Cross Lanes which has Saltwater stuff but not as extensive as the other two. It is on Cross Lanes drive between Cross Lanes and Nitro (about 1/2 mile from Rite Aide).

Restaurants, mostly chains around here however there are a few locally owned that are good. Rio Grande in Nitro and Teays Valley are good if you like Mexican. Several Chinese/Asian restaurants around (all about the same to me). Charleston has several nice restaurants and/or bistro type places Soho's, Brigdge Road Bistro are a couple that are a lil pricey for this area (not really high but higher than most) but have good lunch and dinner stuff. Then true HIGH END, Laury's, Chop House both in Charleston and Aubry's Yorkshire Pub in St. Albans.

There's my two cents worth.
Old 09/18/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

There are two more salt waters stores in town. Petland out on Corridor G and Pet Persuasion in Spring Hill. Neither have a lot in the coral department but Pet Persuasion can get most stuff if you ask.

If your a fan of Sushi there is Sushi Atlantic on Shrewsbury St. that is hands down the best japanese restraunt in town.

There is a bunch of things to see and do between Charleston and the New River Bridge. We spent a day a couple weeks ago roaming around up that way.

What kinda frags you got essop?
Old 09/18/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

I see you found the club ok.

[Originally posted by nrike
"that has to be one of the ugliest tanks i seen in my life. but nice effort"]
Old 09/18/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help! I'm pretty excited to be here. Seems easy to get around (I've only been here 2 days and haven't gotten lost yet) and everyone's real nice.

Essop, thanks for the offer, I'll probably take you up on it in a few weeks. Luckily, I've trained my mother pretty well to care for my tank at home so I can keep it even though I'll be gone 8-12 days a month.

Thanks for the tips on the food, restaurants, attractions, and LFSs. I can't wait to check it all out!

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
Old 09/18/2007, 04:54 PM
Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

I've got the same stuff as always; devil's hands, xenia, a few mushrooms, toadstools.
Old 09/18/2007, 06:43 PM
5 & Over Club

If you don't mind a little drive Bert's Pet Center is about an hour away in Ashland, KY. They have ~2600 gallons of salt with a few hundred dedicated to corals of all types.
Along with JoMar's and Fuji's they are sponsors of our club.
Here's a link
with addresses, hours etc. to some of the local and not so local stores

Rock cooking it's what curing use to be.
Old 09/19/2007, 12:18 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Send a message via AIM to firefish2020
About time someone put Berts on this list I was just about to do it myself LOL.
Old 09/19/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Just got back from Fuji's. What a fabulous store! Nicer than some of those we have in Pittsburgh! Thanks for the tip.

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
Old 09/26/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Did everyone know that Fuji is starting a Japanese take-out next to the fish store? He just told me yesterday that he got the Health Dept AOK.
Old 09/26/2007, 12:37 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

I heard that, it will be good for you guys to experience the art of Japanese Sushi by a true master the man makes the best I have ever tasted anywhere.
Old 09/26/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to grendl Send a message via Yahoo to grendl
My kids will be stoked to be able to get teriyaki chicken, without having to go to the mall.
Old 09/26/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to carb850 Send a message via Yahoo to carb850
Will it be Japanese takeout or Sushi only?
Old 09/26/2007, 02:44 PM
Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

The place he had near the mall was awsome! It took me forever to figure out it was the same Fugi
Old 09/26/2007, 06:47 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

The old restaurant had a lot of Japanese dishes but I don't know what will be on the menu at this one. We talked about this a year or so ago and he asked if I thought it would be a good idea. I said it certainly would be an original idea and at the time we talked about sushi only but knowing Fuji I think it may start with that and go from there. It depends on how successful the restaurant side turns out, either way if you have neer eaten af "Fuji's" your in for quite a treat.
Old 09/26/2007, 08:00 PM
Fish Wrangler

I fear that Fuji is trying to phase out the aquaria business with the restaurant. Lately he's been downhearted about how slow the business has been through the summer. I bluntly asked him last week when we were talking about the restaurant and I asked him if he was going to be able to balance both businesses (one is tough enough, trust me) and he kinda shrugged and said "no money in fish business". I would hate to see Fuji go out of business. He has become a good friend since I first met him when he opened his doors. Took me a while to be able to understand him good, but I don't have a problem conversing with him now. It's just good to have several GOOD LFS' in the area. I usually try to visit them all when I am in town. I am 1.5 hours away from them all, a little farther from Berts. Jim has an awesome store too, but it's just a little too far to drive most of the time for me.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 09/27/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

I'd hate that, too. He's a very cool guy. And very energetic. Every time I go into the store, he's done something new -- pricing boards, rearranging, upgrading. I think he can handle both. Just watch for missing fish ...
Old 09/27/2007, 05:21 PM
5 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by joyski58
Just watch for missing fish ...
I've been trying so hard not to point out the irony of a fish store/sushi combo.
I think Phishy Business is near a Sushi restaurant too.
Quote:
Lately he's been downhearted about how slow the business has been through the summer.
From talking with Jim over the years it's always slow during the summer. Not much comfort if you're trying to pay the bills but at least it's "normal".

Rock cooking it's what curing use to be.
Old 09/27/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joyski58
Just watch for missing fish ...
Well it would be fresh...
Old 09/27/2007, 07:50 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Fuji is not what you call a patient man, he needs to see results quickly from what I've come to see. I have had the talk with him about being patient etc, but he will do what he feels he has to do. I wish him luck in both ventures but it's likely that if the restaurant picks up he will devote more time there, remember he is a master chef, it's in his blood.
Old 09/30/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Fuji may be on his way out.
Barry will retire eventually.
Y'all may have to get your goodies from Chesapeake, Ohio.
Just a heads up.
TR
Old 09/30/2007, 02:28 AM
Coral Propagation Tech

LOL Barry Retire? Not for a while, The shops been there for over 36 years now and I can assure you that if all goes well it will be there for a few more decades to come

Last edited by firefish2020; 09/30/2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09/30/2007, 02:44 AM
Registered Member

It was there before Barry owned it if I remember correctly. I was a little girl when I first started going to Jo Mars.